Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2014, 03:23 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Aug-2014 HSers Upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Assuming I'm not too sleepy tonight (I must be getting old!), I've got time and there will be some updates tonight.
I guess sleep is winning the day today. Sorry.

Tomorrow will see the nested quotes issue getting addressed (the people have spoken!) and hopefully the image sizing issue too, but I may have to just put a band-aid on that one until post-Gencon. I'll also try to update the OP issue tracker, possibly nailing down a quickie or two.
Nested quotes are back!
Great, although I'd still like to know which genius decided to get rid of them in the first place. My neg-rep trigger finger is itchy.
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Assuming I'm not too sleepy tonight (I must be getting old!), I've got time and there will be some updates tonight.

Tomorrow will see the nested quotes issue getting addressed (the people have spoken!) and hopefully the image sizing issue too, but I may have to just put a band-aid on that one until post-Gencon. I'll also try to update the OP issue tracker, possibly nailing down a quickie or two.
Nested quotes are back!
Great, although I'd still like to know which genius decided to get rid of them in the first place. My neg-rep trigger finger is itchy.

Easy, SD. Just give the nice Smurf a cookie
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nested quotes are back!
Go ahead and hit me with the negrep. There is a bit of story behind nested quotes vs. no nested quotes. When I created the test server earlier this year to try out this newer version of vBulletin, it didn't have nested quotes (same behavior as you've experienced the past couple of weeks). I thought, "stripping nesting must be a new feature of vBulletin that I didn't read about." Anyway, the feedback from the all of the testers who chose to weigh in on the "non-nestingness" was one of approval.

Fast forward to the install earlier this month--going live without the nested quotes--and the negative feedback from the larger membership. I started to investigate and it turns out that the old version of vBulletin we upgraded from didn't support nested quotes either. It must have been a long-forgotten hack Xotli or bunjee hand-coded to make that the behavior. (When you think about it from a programming perspective, it is easier to make quotes nest, so vBulletin considers a feature that they get rid of the nesting).

Anyway, no hacks are needed anymore. vBulletin still doesn't support nesting out-of-the-box, but there is a nice, simple, free third-party plugin available to make it do nesting. That's what I installed. Should we ever upgrade to the vBulletin v4 branch, (we're at the latest of the v3 branch), the plugin supports that as well, so it shouldn't break again at the next upgrade.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:44 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I just noticed that when I am typing a reply, formerly the Tab key moved the highlight from the cursor in the text area to the "Post Quick Reply" button.

Current behavior is when quoting someone else's post which contains a smiley, the Tab key moves the highlight to the smiley in the text area instead of the Reply button.

This is on IE.
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Xorlof , @Sherman Davies et al.

While I was initially a big fan of the non-nested quotes as a tester, I realize now that both snipping out older quotes and nesting all the quotes have their flaws.

On the one hand, nested quotes offer, within one post, everything that has been said in one conversation. That's obviously good for going back to reference things as you read or reply. Snipping out nested quotes makes it harder to find things that have been said a few posts back in the conversation, especially if those post are on earlier pages.

On the other hand, snipping out nested quotes is a great antidote to those massive quote tunnels that occasionally build up. Those tunnels, among other things, make mobile viewing a chore.

I think a solution that would satisfy both parties would be to simply collapse quotes that are nested on the second level or further, similar to a spoiler. The old quotes would still be there, but quote tunnels wouldn't take up so much space. Is this doable?
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:06 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by El T View Post
@Xorlof , @Sherman Davies et al.

While I was initially a big fan of the non-nested quotes as a tester, I realize now that both snipping out older quotes and nesting all the quotes have their flaws.

On the one hand, nested quotes offer, within one post, everything that has been said in one conversation. That's obviously good for going back to reference things as you read or reply. Snipping out nested quotes makes it harder to find things that have been said a few posts back in the conversation, especially if those post are on earlier pages.

On the other hand, snipping out nested quotes is a great antidote to those massive quote tunnels that occasionally build up. Those tunnels, among other things, make mobile viewing a chore.

I think a solution that would satisfy both parties would be to simply collapse quotes that are nested on the second level or further, similar to a spoiler. The old quotes would still be there, but quote tunnels wouldn't take up so much space. Is this doable?
Hopefully it's doable, because that sounds like an excellent suggestion. I wouldn't have to do it by hand anymore.
Also, I've noticed that on the profiles, the group memberships are just in a big list with no separators. We might want to put some semicolons in there or something.
~TGRF.
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:39 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

There used to be a link at the bottom to a page that would display all Heroscapers members. How do we get to that now?
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

I just discovered something about the rep box when I'm with my phone...

We already noticed that the box disapears when we tap on the comment zone, thus it's not possible to give rep with a comment from a mobile phone...

Well, in fact it's possible ! When I tap on the text zone, the rep box is hodden, but I still have my keybord to write something... and when I tap "go" on my keyboard... the forum saus me that I just sent some rep !

So even if the rep box is no more here, you can write your comment and semd your rep... ^^

So, @Xotli , if you see that you received some rep with a strange amd unsignificant message, it's me ! ^_^

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It is far from a major issue, but I was editing a post today with different fonts in it. When I selected the text, the font box went blank like it normally does when encountered with multiple fonts, but it also narrowed to about two millimeters in width. This did nothing to performance, as I selected the correct font and it applied it just fine.
Just a bug.
~TGRF.
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:14 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Also, my pictures aren't re-sizing when previewing a message.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

How do you see the list of users or search for a user. I also like seeing new users and/or sorting user list by date joined or posted. Probably just not finding it.
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'll try to get to some updates today.

One thing I've already done today is put in place a replacement for the old image resizer we used to use. Please let me know if you are still seeing images that are too big anywhere. I'd like some feedback on the way I did this image resizing to see if it meets your needs.

The old resizer used to have the page load with all of the images huge, then after the page was loaded, would resize them down to a maximum of 400 pixels wide, creating a link that you could click on to view the image full size. This slowed down display and resulted in the screen "flickering" during load, but worked pretty well.

The new resizer eliminates the short period where the images load super-big, auto-resizing them to the smaller size as the page loads. This is great, with better performance and no screen flickering. That's an improvement, but the see-full-size experience is arguably not as good in two respects: 1) You get no indication that you can click on an image to get the bigger version, and 2) to see the bigger image, you click and hold. (It would be easy to change this to just hovering over the image if that's better). See Johnny Shotgun Sulivan's card for an example. One side benefit of this system is that we can have different resize standards for different themes (width vs narrow theme), but right now they're all setup uniformly.

Does this work for y'all? This is an area we should get "right," so if you don't think it is "right" then I'll work on the issue more and code something closer to the old system. The old version was a hack, and I'm trying to avoid hacks where possible (to make future upgrades easier), but if we need a hack, we need a hack.

(BTW, I also increased the maximum image width to 600 pixels in threads since monitors are bigger and higher resolution these days.)

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online