Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old October 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Heroes of Middle Earth
Art

The purpose of this thread is to serve as an area for the creation of cards for units that have passed through Brainstorming, Design, and Playtesting. Critique of cards and discussion of cards is encouraged here.

When a unit enters Art, a member or non-member may volunteer to create a card for that unit. Any member or non-member that volunteers to create a card must demonstrate competence and skill in card-making prior to creating any cards for the purposes of this project. Therefor, it is asked that prior work, such as other custom cards, be submitted before a person is allowed to create a card for the purposes of this project.

Any units currently in Art shall be indexed in this post.

Once the designer of a unit feels that their unit is ready to move from Art to the Final Vote, that designer may propose that the unit move to the Final Vote. Should the vote pass, the designer must post a copy of the WorkBook of their unit in the General Discussion Thread, and propose the Final Vote.

Units Currently In Art
None, as of 09/24/12

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by Porkins; December 9th, 2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM

JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby!
Re: HoME Art Thread

Okay, I was sent here about the Card Boarders, here is what I've got going.

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course you should ignore the guy. Would you guys want me to make a Whit council one or something and put Gandalf on it?
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM

JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby!

Here is a Gandalf Demo. whatcha think?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Nice work!

I am this >< close to proposing we make you a member.
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUSFREAK View Post

Interesting. A couple things I would bring up for discussion (on the template rather than the card itself):

- I assume this is a take on the HoME side of a card, rather than the classic 'Scape interpretation?

- I would prefer to use a symbol less specific to the trilogy than Lord of the Rings at the top. That's most often where the general symbol goes on cards, and so that's where it ought to go for us, in my opinion. We can devise new symbols for the HoME side, but we'll cross the bridge when we come to it.

- I think we should keep roughly the same format in the right-box stats as official cards, at least coloring the background of the text and making it white. I think the points also need to be a bit more prominent.

- The text could be larger in the middle box (special powers), though for figures with more text we'll undoubtedly need smaller text.

- Did we decide whether to use screenshots, illustrations, or figure pics? Maybe different versions, like C3G or HoSS do?

- Have we considered the possibility of adding our own sort of insignia to the HoME side and possibly the classic side of the card? If so, I might suggest this:
Spoiler Alert!
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM

A member! What would that allow me to do? The more help I can do for you guys the better! Truth be told, your Gandalf is THE best custom unit I've ever played. When I played him, I literally heard the dwarves theme (from the Hobbit) playing in the back of my head. I just want every unit to be as good as he is! I also have to help my organization HoNTS (see link) and HoSS but I'll do EVERYTHING I can to help you guys!!!
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
A member! What would that allow me to do?
Well, for one, it allows you to vote, which you can't do currently.

~JS, informally
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:39 PM

To Son of Arathorn:

Yes, it's the HoME side

What kind of symbol would you like? I think it looks good up there and in my opinion, all of Tolkien' other Tails were, though wonderful in there own way, building up to LoTR, so that was the symbol that seemed most appropriate to put up there.

What whould you like me to do with the box on the right? I don't understand what you are saying...

Yeah, I just figured we should try to keep the size of the text more or less the same.

No, we did not that I am aware of. I chose what I chose because

A) It looks AWESOME

B) I couldn't find a very good High Res shot of the fig we are using.

Also, about the symbol, That's J.R.R.T.'s symbol, but what If we did a play on it with the initials of OUR name: HoME?
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:

Interesting. A couple things I would bring up for discussion (on the template rather than the card itself):

- I assume this is a take on the HoME side of a card, rather than the classic 'Scape interpretation?

- I would prefer to use a symbol less specific to the trilogy than Lord of the Rings at the top. That's most often where the general symbol goes on cards, and so that's where it ought to go for us, in my opinion. We can devise new symbols for the HoME side, but we'll cross the bridge when we come to it.

- I think we should keep roughly the same format in the right-box stats as official cards, at least coloring the background of the text and making it white. I think the points also need to be a bit more prominent.

- The text could be larger in the middle box (special powers), though for figures with more text we'll undoubtedly need smaller text.

- Did we decide whether to use screenshots, illustrations, or figure pics? Maybe different versions, like C3G or HoSS do?

- Have we considered the possibility of adding our own sort of insignia to the HoME side and possibly the classic side of the card? If so, I might suggest this:
Spoiler Alert!
1) That's the way it looks.

2) Yep, that makes sense.

3) Yes.

4) Hmmm...I suppose.

5) Defiantly needs thought.

6)
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
To Son of Arathorn:

Yes, it's the HoME side

What kind of symbol would you like? I think it looks good up there and in my opinion, all of Tolkien' other Tails were, though wonderful in there own way, building up to LoTR, so that was the symbol that seemed most appropriate to put up there.

Also, about the symbol, That's J.R.R.T.'s symbol, but what If we did a play on it with the initials of OUR name: HoME?
The problem with focusing solely on the Lord of the Rings is that we're not doing only Lord of the Rings characters. We're eventually spreading from that to the Hobbit, hopefully to the Silmarillion... by calling ourselves Heroes of Middle-Earth rather than Heroes of LotR, we made sure we weren't limited to the trilogy, so we could work with everything Tolkien had to offer.

I'd prefer we stay away from a symbol of the project name (maybe in the margin like mac122 does with his cards, if anything). I'd rather we devise our own symbols for HoME generals, and if we have a project symbol, the Tolkien insignia. Some suggestions for general symbols, as referring to White Knight's post on sorting potential units:

Jandar/Manwe???- Eagle's wing/White Tree of Gondor

Ullar/Orome???- Hunter's bow/Wizard's staff

Einar/Tulkas???- Horse banner/???

Aquilla/Aule- Shards of Narsil/Blacksmith's hammer/Ring of Barahir

Vydar/Feanor???- The White Hand/The Silmarils/

Utgar/Sauron- Eye of Sauron/Barad'dur

Valkrill/Morgoth- Grond, hammer of the underworld/???
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:13 PM

YAY!!! Your planning on doing The Hobbit! AAWWEESSOMMEE!

What about This for a logo

[IMG][/IMG]

It was "Borrowed" from Lotr Battles for MIDDLE EARTH and mildly edited.
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:47 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

A couple thoughts:

-Let's not "borrow" any symbols from other games or organizations. I think the Tolkien symbol SoA suggested might be okay, but our best bet might be something like HoME

-let's use a template that is identical to any of the classic template when it comes to text formatting, positioning, coloring, etc, but make the background and borders look different. I'd like us to focus on consistency and readability, as well as aesthetics.

-but nice start guys.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs