Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 31st, 2009, 04:43 PM

donjake Woo who?

Ok i have heard about the ''end'' in 2012 im sure you have to.But I have never belived it and now there are adds saying its true and go join a lottery for survival. I have sever nachrophia (fear of death) I need some help for my fear and this thing in general please help!
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjake View Post
Ok i have heard about the ''end'' in 2012 im sure you have to.But I have never belived it and now there are adds saying its true and go join a lottery for survival. I have sever nachrophia (fear of death) I need some help for my fear and this thing in general please help!
Well, this all depends on your personal beliefs, I guess. Wasn't this from the Mayan calender or something? Well, I'm not Mayan, and never believed their religions and superstitions, so I have no worries.

The Christian God stated that no one but He knows the time when the world will end, so if you're Christian, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, because they're obviously wrong, then!
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nostradamus I believe it was predicted the end is in 2012. The Mayan Calendar ends in 2012. Whether that means the end of the world for them...
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Read Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". There's a line I think is applicable that states, in essence, the sign of adulthood is knowing you will die, and accepting your sentence.

Don't worry about dying, because you will. Worry about what you do BEFORE your inevitable end.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjake View Post
Ok, I have heard about the ''end'' in 2012; I'm sure you have too. But I have never believed it; however now there are ads saying it's true and to go join a lottery for survival. I have severe necrophobia (fear of death) I need some help for my fear and this thing in general please help!
Where are these 'ads'? No, there is no general 'lottery' to sign up for to hope you survive some mythical Mayan end of the calendar.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:54 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Predictions for the end of the world are so common as to be laughable.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Frost
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
~Aldin, not with a bang but a whimper

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

He means this I bet.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...us-commercial/

And let me address a few things.

The Mayan calendar does not say the world will end in 2012. This is one of the silliest falsehoods and urban legends ever. Their calendar resets in 2012. Just like our calendars reset after December 31st.

Nostradamus's predictions are so vague as to be useless and none predict destruction in 2012.

The world will NOT end in 2012, nothing special is happening that year versus any other year. Find something else to worry about but please make it something real.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

From the link:
Quote:
It is a very slick ad, and the IHC website is also very well done.
The thing is: it’s made up. Fiction. It’s viral advertising for the movie 2012 which comes out later this year. I’ve been getting tons of mails from people who have seen this commercial and asked what’s up with it. A lot of folks got it, but many didn’t.

I love movies, and I love disaster movies, and I even love bad over the top ridiculous disaster movies. And at some level I don’t mind Hollywood making a 2012 movie because it’s just another topic tailor-made for Irwin Allenification… but this commercial makes me unhappy.

First and foremost: the 2012 doomsayers are full of crap. Pretty much every single thing they claim is complete and utter garbage. The Mayan calendar does not end in 2012. The Sun’s flare cycle does not peak in 2012. There is no special Galactic Alignment in 2012. There is no such thing as the giant planet Nibiru. Etc., etc. The people promoting this garbage are either self-deluded, or they are con artists trying to bilk people out of money by scaring them to death, a time-honored tradition among the dishonorable. But people are really getting scared about this bilge — and a lot of them are kids who don’t yet have the critical thinking skills to be able to see through all this.

And that’s why I don’t like this ad. The only sign that it’s a viral commercial for a movie is at the very beginning when, for a fraction of a second, the Columbia Pictures logo is flashed onscreen. On the IHC website it’s at the very bottom, in teeny tiny letters, saying that the site is copyright Sony Pictures.

In other words, the ad plays up on the fears of the 2012-pushers, essentially fear-mongering itself.

Again, I have no problems with realistic movie ads in general, as long as it’s clear it’s about a movie. This commercial hides that as much as it can, and it’s designed to play up on fears.

I’m still interested in seeing the movie — and I wonder if it may actually dispel 2012 fear-baiting because it will be so ridiculously over-the-top — but I hope they stop advertising it in this way.
It's an ad...for a movie.
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:32 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

End of the world shmend of the world. Since the beginning of time man has tried to predict it. Since the beginning of time they have been wrong. SuperflyTnT has a good idea me thinks...
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post

The world will NOT end in 2012...
This is correct. It's only all life and civilization itself that will end in 2012... the world will, in fact, still be here...
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
(A)The Mayan calendar does not say the world will end in 2012. This is one of the silliest falsehoods and urban legends ever. Their calendar resets in 2012. Just like our calendars reset after December 31st.

(B)Nostradamus's predictions are so vague as to be useless and none predict destruction in 2012.

(C) The world will NOT end in 2012, nothing special is happening that year versus any other year. Find something else to worry about but please make it something real.
A. Correctamundo. No "Sedna" will crash into earth.
B. Not entirely true. As far as prognosticators go, he's as good as they come. He predicted a LOT of stuff, very accurately (Can you say Hisler?) and very timely. The downside is of the 10000+ he has a few hits. So, take it for what it's worth.
C. You can't definitively say that. It could happen, you know. The LHC could fire up and cause a black hole that engulfs the planet. A new super-virus could be invented/mutate and destroy life on the planet. Sure, low probability, but you can't say for certain that the world will not end.

So, in all, live life. The world may or may not end, but you can be sure that YOUR world will end, at some point, and generally not at the time or place of your choice.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General