Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Just ask the DnD community.

I've been reading the about the DnD set in our various threads about it and wondered if anyone has actually asked their community. I read a few posts here about the "icy welcome" this set is receiving from the DnD community, but I haven't seen any real testimony to these claims. Has anyone even gone over there to ask?

I used the search function over on their WOTC community page and there are small mentions of it ("it" being us over here in the HS game) in the future releases section, but no one really just talks about it. Most of the posts I read over there were just asking what HS even was.

I'm considering starting a thread, about HS specifically, in their forums to try and get a reasonable audience. I did this search and you can plainly see how many people are talking about it, there aren't even posts about disliking the idea of it.

I figured it was a good idea to ask our community how, or who should really just ask them what they think. I figure since we are beginning to see a merger of licenses we may soon find our communities closer than we were before.

If I were to ask their opinions I'd probably include a link to our home page, a few links to the various DnD info threads, a quick read about how HS is played, and a big hello from the HS community (no reason not to ).

Can I get some opinions? Even reasons not to are helpful.

Thread started here.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; October 9th, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Just ask the DnD community.

I don’t see any reason not to do this. It sounds like a good plan to me. If nothing else, you may turn some people onto HeroScape that would have otherwise only had the upcoming D&D set to base their info on.

Old October 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Who cares what they think about it? It has no bearing on the game for us....they are making Heroscape figures using DnD characters. No one had to run and ask comic book fans what they thought of MarvelScape. Two things that are different but share a name have nothing really to do with each other.

People who play Star Wars Minis don't care about Star Wars CCG or the folding Star Wars spaceships game for the most part.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Only reservation I would have at this point is that it might seem a little random, kind of like your post is, and you even acknowledged it. Like, this probably would have been a much better idea a couple days after news broke, not a couple months.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Must fight urge to B***H about yet ANOTHER D&D thread......must fight it....mustn't give into my rage.....

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:57 PM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

WOTC needs to start putting info on the the wizards site about it,besides the Gen Con blurb that it is coming out. Most D&D players I talked to didn't even know about upcoming D&D heroscape. I think a Dark Sun desert terrain set is in the works too.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
People who play Star Wars Minis don't care about Star Wars CCG or the folding Star Wars spaceships game for the most part.
But all of those games fill a similar niche, they're all collectable X games. I'd think it'd be a completely different situation introducing a wargame to a primarily roleplaying crowd.

I do think it might be a good idea, though it is a little late. (Now that I think about it, didn't someone do something like this durring GenCon only to have the thread moved by a WotC admin?)

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Quote:
But all of those games fill a similar niche, they're all collectable X games. I'd think it'd be a completely different situation introducing a wargame to a primarily roleplaying crowd.

I do think it might be a good idea, though it is a little late. (Now that I think about it, didn't someone do something like this durring GenCon only to have the thread moved by a WotC admin?)
But there is a difference between Star Wars Collectors and Star Wars game players....because you play one doesnt mean you play them all...so what they do in one game has no bearing on the other.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Quote:

But there is a difference between Star Wars Collectors and Star Wars game players....because you play one doesnt mean you play them all...so what they do in one game has no bearing on the other.
Gotcha, I didn't realize you were comeing from more of a genre-oriented angle rather than a . . . marketspace(?) angle. I should have picked up on that the first time around.

With all the "you got your chocolate in my penutbutter," whining and apples to oranges comparisons, it's nice to see somebody (GreenLanturn) saying, "let's make lemonade."

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Comparing D&D to Heroscape is apples to oranges, but they are both fruit, and the kinds of people that gravitate towards games in general haven't the aversion to one or the other that is implied in some of the more fanatical posts. Given that both are more than viable as games, it is the quality of the players that makes or breaks the experience. I'm pretty sure that, among players of both games, there are some who prefer one over the other to a greater or lesser extent, but few who are so fanatic that they could not enjoy both under the right circumstances. Communication between the two sets of players can only enrich both.

David
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Who cares what they think about it? It has no bearing on the game for us....they are making Heroscape figures using DnD characters. No one had to run and ask comic book fans what they thought of MarvelScape. Two things that are different but share a name have nothing really to do with each other.
I understand this point, and why you're saying it. But comic books and a miniatures game are 2 completely different things, this DnD set combines 2 miniatures games. I'm not looking at names I'm looking at the base of the game. DnD minis is based on minis, and so is HS. They are also run by the same company. This said, they wouldn't pit a their own minis game against their own minis game. SW definitely breaks a rule in there, but SW so obviously has it's own fan base so trenched in that there is little wiggle room when it comes to combining licenses.

The biggest points I can make are that they are competing games of the same style in the same company. It makes no sense (from a business stand point) to run them separately, so it is highly likely we will see a merger.

Trying to combine the fan base will likely put a new outlook on the sales of the game. I think this remains true even if WOTC is only doing it to get HS into more FLAGS, the end result is that the fan bases will see some merging.

Back to Onacara's point. This is a much different situation than you have made it out to be. You compared comics to minis and SW CCG to SW minis; none of those are the same. In our current situation we are looking at minis and minis.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

[quote=Onacara;932224]Who cares what they think about it?quote]

Not that we CARE per say, but we ARE game geeks and love punching each other's hobbies. I see no problem in talking about what the core audience for DnD thinks of this release. I actually think it does have a bearance on us as their added support for this line is good for us too.

I think you just want to b***h about another DnD thread.

Rep up GL, nice idea.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion