Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 19th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
An Impactful Customs Creator

An Intro
This is the first part of a multi-part post (if there seems to be interest). If not, then I just really enjoyed posting this and feeling a part of the community again.

It has been a long time since I posted anything of substance around these parts. I am certain many folks around here won't even know who I am (which is encouraging as it means the community has grown).

I was pondering my time as a customs creator, both as an individual and for the C3V; I was thinking about what made for an impactful customs creator. I thought through things I did and things I wish I had done differently.

To be honest, customs creators are a dime a dozen. We are legion; just look at the pages and pages of threads in the Custom Unit Section. Beyond us are the Great Customs Creators. There are a handful of them. You know, the guys who create customs that everyone oohs and ahs over; whose thread attracts replies and kudos that we mere plebes could only hope to generate; the ones who seem to have made a deal with the devil in order to churn out such exquisitely crafted units. But even beyond them are the Impactful Customs Creators. Customs creators whose impact extends beyond their incredible custom units and to the community itself. Those who are known as much for their social impact and contribution as for their custom work; the ones we just hope will comment on the new custom unit we posted; the ones whose mere reply seems to give some credibility to our design aspirations. I remember when Grungebob once posted something positive in my customs thread; I was almost giddy.

Not everyone wants to be an impactful customs creator. Some just want to have fun and design for their own personal enjoyment. To those I say, “Design away! Keep it up and have tons of fun with this awesome game!” To those who have a desire to move beyond that, maybe what is shared here in the OP and any ensuing replies will help you move to at least being a good customs creator if not great and maybe even an impactful customs creator.

Just a note: I make no claims to being an impactful customs creator. I aspired to at least be good at creating units; I certainly was not on par with the great ones. So, take all of this as my observations from the outside of what I think it would take to get a chair at the Impactful Customs Creators table.

To be an Impactful Customs Creator

Have Lengthy Experience Just Playing the Game:
Spoiler Alert!

Any other thoughts on the benefits of having game playing experience before embarking on a customs career? Any disagreements? It would be awesome to hear you out.

Comment In Other Custom Creators' Threads:

EDIT: I was doing some research for the next post when I came across a far far superior article by @Scytale which hit on this very thing. Please check it out. I don't think it received the recognition it so richly deserves. Great job, Scytale!
Spoiler Alert!

Do you have any other thoughts about the benefits or “do’s and don’ts” of commenting in other designers’ threads? We would love to hear them!

Ask Yourself "Why?"
Spoiler Alert!

Quality Over Quantity
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts about Quality Over Quantity? Let us hear from you!

Respond to Feedback
This is a long post so bear with it..
Spoiler Alert!

Any other thoughts? Did I leave something important out? Let us know!

Be a Part of a Community Project
Spoiler Alert!

Expand Your Horizons
Spoiler Alert!

HS Codex Custom Creation Articles
The revival of the HS Codex has presented us with many excellent articles covering not only custom unit philosophy, but also the nuts and bolts of custom unit creation. Son of Arathorn, Scytale, ishMEL, and Johnny139 have all contributed out of their experience and knowledge. If you have not read these articles, you really should.:
Tandem Designs: Part 1
Tandem Designs: Part 2
Designing Top to Bottom
Where Rules Don't Bend
YACE
YACE Special Powers
Faction Creation
Make It Fun
Criticism: Giving and Taking
The Good, the Bad, and the SoV Worthy
The Question of Balance
Dripping with (Not Too Much) Theme
Simply Creative
The Epitome of Play

Last edited by Lamaclown; December 17th, 2018 at 03:00 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards