Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 30th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Wow! Thanks for the commentary of your first game! The action looks hot and heavy!!!

My neighbor and I are both awaiting the game in the mail. I'm already organizing NYC players on Bgg to get together, and since most of my pals want to play too, it should mean a good pool of available players. Do keep up the posts.

I'll probably use colored stickers to label the figure trays in the clan and other colors, with a photo or two as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Great stuff @Hahma . I look forward to playing this one
Yeah, it's got action for sure and each clan's ability is unique. Mine seemed ok, but I may not have used it right on some occasions. The Turtle clan was neat, as his building is mobile and contribute to combat. Seemed more straight forward than mine. The red clan ability was that in battle, if it wins the bid on the ronin space, he can use his extra coins as roninn in the battle to add power/majority. You get ronin tokens from one of the prayer spaces or other things, so if red player doesn't have ronin tokens, he can use coins, so that's nice. Especially since money and ronin tokens are open information before the battle, so red can say they don't have ronin tokens, but that doesn't mean he won't have ronan. Purple clan has the ability when drawing the 3 action tiles. Normally you have to choose 1 and reveal it on the track, while placing the other 2 back on top of the stack. Well purple player gets to choose 1 tile and instead of flipping it over on the track to reveal its action, he places it face down and names the action that he wants it to be. So he can bury an action tile he doesn't want to see used or not one to be available to the next player for choosing.

There are different monster and ability/upgrades that come out for each of the different seasons. It will take a while to learn the best use of them. But that one 1st season dragon that red player took was a pain. Worth 3 power toward battle, but also being able to displace one enemy figure from that region at the start of battle.

The regions are different colors and the tiles that are revealed to indicate where the battles will be have corresponding colors. When you win a battle in a region, you get that color tile. If you get 3-4 different color tiles, you get 10 vps at the end of the game. 5 or 6 gets you more points and 7 or 8 gets you more. So winning battles in many different regions will get you more vps.

Honor breaks ties. There is a vertical track on the board that has our colored tokens. So it's important to have higher honor when tied in anything at all, because the higher honor of the people involved will win. I started out with the highest honor because of my clan, but I stupidly bought 2 Oni monsters that looked cool and contributed a lot to battle, but only if you were lower honor than the opponent. So I did stuff to lower my honor and others did stuff to raise theirs. I wanted that for the Oni, but it messed me up in other ways.

Edit: both posts to fix the misspelled ronin.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; January 30th, 2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 09:59 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Nice @Hahma ! Thanks for sharing. So is this something that you could see yourself wanting to play often, or too soon to tell? I know my first game of Blood Rage left me feeling a little unsure. But by my second game I knew that I was going to like it.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:23 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Nice @Hahma ! Thanks for sharing. So is this something that you could see yourself wanting to play often, or too soon to tell? I know my first game of Blood Rage left me feeling a little unsure. But by my second game I knew that I was going to like it.
All i know is I had better like it because its on the way to my house here soon. ill have to give blood rage a whirl. Only had it for about a year now.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Thanks Kegs!

We're already talking about a rematch on our group's facebook page, and maybe even going up to 5 or 6 players to make it really nuts

Often is relative. I saw your post recently, and how you were really able to knock out a lot of games, and multiples of the same ones. There's no way we'd be able to get in that many games of Rising Sun over a short time. We have 15 to 20 of is meet on Monday night from 6 to 10 or 11. I got there about 10 after 6 and left at 9:30. Rising Sun was the only game I played. Took a bit to set up and explain, as well as clean up. First game always takes longer, and we chit chat a little before and after games etc.

The guy with the game might not be there every week, or I might miss a week here and there. Some of is also get together on occasion on a weekend as well. We mostly have a monthly all day event at the indoor soccer facility we normally meet at, but not again until April since indoor soccer tournaments are busy now on weekends.

We also have people wanting to play a lot of different games, especially the new hot ones, as there are always people buying the new stuff or getting their kickstarters in and wanting to get to the table.

So yes, I would like to play Rising Sun a decent amount of times, but it's hard to get games played a lot over a short period of time. There are a few that get played more often, but sometimes it's a matter of play time or perhaps a favorite designer, like Stefen Feld.

We do have some Legacy ganes get played by the same group, like I was part of with Seafall last year, but they still take several months to knock out because nobody wants to play them every single week.

It's also hit or miss because of people's schedules.

I like Rising Sun and would play it whenever Zack would bring it and I wasn't otherwise committed. It does require a minimum of 3 players because of alliances, as well as needing things tobe contested and not wide open. Also need to have people that don't mind aggressive play and getting betrayed by other players.

Sorry for the long answer. What I may want to get played at all, let alone often is contingent on several factors

Old January 30th, 2018, 10:45 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

So many cool games. Not enough time. I could not buy another new game and never get bored with the collection I have. There's so much to enjoy but not enough time to do so.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:54 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Thanks Kegs!

We're already talking about a rematch on our group's facebook page, and maybe even going up to 5 or 6 players to make it really nuts

Often is relative. I saw your post recently, and how you were really able to knock out a lot of games, and multiples of the same ones. There's no way we'd be able to get in that many games of Rising Sun over a short time. We have 15 to 20 of is meet on Monday night from 6 to 10 or 11. I got there about 10 after 6 and left at 9:30. Rising Sun was the only game I played. Took a bit to set up and explain, as well as clean up. First game always takes longer, and we chit chat a little before and after games etc.

The guy with the game might not be there every week, or I might miss a week here and there. Some of is also get together on occasion on a weekend as well. We mostly have a monthly all day event at the indoor soccer facility we normally meet at, but not again until April since indoor soccer tournaments are busy now on weekends.

We also have people wanting to play a lot of different games, especially the new hot ones, as there are always people buying the new stuff or getting their kickstarters in and wanting to get to the table.

So yes, I would like to play Rising Sun a decent amount of times, but it's hard to get games played a lot over a short period of time. There are a few that get played more often, but sometimes it's a matter of play time or perhaps a favorite designer, like Stefen Feld.

We do have some Legacy ganes get played by the same group, like I was part of with Seafall last year, but they still take several months to knock out because nobody wants to play them every single week.

It's also hit or miss because of people's schedules.

I like Rising Sun and would play it whenever Zack would bring it and I wasn't otherwise committed. It does require a minimum of 3 players because of alliances, as well as needing things tobe contested and not wide open. Also need to have people that don't mind aggressive play and getting betrayed by other players.

Sorry for the long answer. What I may want to get played at all, let alone often is contingent on several factors
Hah! You never have to apologize to me, I rather like your long answers.

I suppose I was really just asking if you like the game.

I'm super glad that you informed me of the requirement for 3 players. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me and my situation. That's too bad. But I'm still looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks of the game.

Quote:
Quote:
All i know is I had better like it because its on the way to my house here soon. ill have to give blood rage a whirl. Only had it for about a year now.
Wow! I don't know how you could have Blood Rage for a year and not play it. Of course I do realize that I have a tiny collection of games and yours is massive.

That reminds me. I recently missed a heck of a deal on Facebook Marketplace. A guy was selling Zombicide for $20 but I didn't see it in time. I'm still bummed about that one.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
So many cool games. Not enough time. I could not buy another new game and never get bored with the collection I have. There's so much to enjoy but not enough time to do so.
Yeah, that's why I've slowed down buying board games, though I did recently get the Salsa expansion and Aegyptus/Creta expansion for Concordia, a great game that does see some play. Otherwise, I've been getting mostly tabletop miniatures games and terrain. These at least give me a hobby aspect that is very rewarding and relaxing. Looks like Star Wars Legion release is delayed until March 22nd, so I'll have more time to work on other projects.

We have a lot of duplicate copies of games in our group, so I've been really looking harder before ordering regular board games or kickstarting them, for when a few people order or back the same time, that's fewer times each copy will see the table.

Old January 30th, 2018, 11:25 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Wow! I don't know how you could have Blood Rage for a year and not play it. Of course I do realize that I have a tiny collection of games and yours is massive.
I know that was directed at Trex, but I'd say that having a smaller collection that gets played often is a great thing too. You get more time to try out different play styles and get to learn more subtle nuances that some games have.

My buddy Brian has 1,926 listed as owned on BGG and 968 expansions. He's pretty much addicted to collecting games. He plays often, but plays other people's games as well, so certainly not getting many of his games played repeatedly. He does have 2 young sons, and a wife that is a gamer, so that helps and he's hoping his boys will be big into it as well.

My buddy Chris has maybe 700 or more games, but he also has a boatload of miniatures and terrain pieces for tabletop gaming. Now he's super busy with work and going back to school, so a lot of great games that have little play or are still in shrink wrap.

Last edited by Hahma; January 30th, 2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I recently acquired Cry Havoc and played it a few times. I also was given Ventura but I haven't gotten it to the table.

Old January 31st, 2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I know that was directed at Trex, but I'd say that having a smaller collection that gets played often is a great thing too. You get more time to try out different play styles and get to learn more subtle nuances that some games have.

My buddy Brian has 1,926 listed as owned on BGG and 968 expansions. He's pretty much addicted to collecting games. He plays often, but plays other people's games as well, so certainly not getting many of his games played repeatedly. He does have 2 young sons, and a wife that is a gamer, so that helps and he's hoping his boys will be big into it as well.

My buddy Chris has maybe 700 or more games, but he also has a boatload of miniatures and terrain pieces for tabletop gaming. Now he's super busy with work and going back to school, so a lot of great games that have little play or are still in shrink wrap.

That is an insane amount of games. I can't even really imagine having that many, though it would be cool.

And you are absolutely correct. I didn't mean to sound like I was crying about having a small collection. I am quite happy with it. My collection is bigger than it was before, and I have plenty to keep me busy and having fun for quite some time. I do plan on continuing to slowly grow my collection, but nothing like your buddies have. Of course our situations are much different. They are gamers that regularly play with groups and such, whereas I'm just a dude that plays occasionally with his family. So I don't need as many games. There are many games out there that I want and I can see that buying games could easily become addicting. The three games that I just bought all have expansions that I must have.

Old January 31st, 2018, 07:44 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

These days I buy as many expansions as new games. I've been fortunate in liking everything I buy for a while now, but that's probably because of the info now available on Boardgamegeek. My Kickstarter footprint is very small as well; Blood Rage and Rising Sun being the main exceptions.
Old January 31st, 2018, 07:52 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:

That is an insane amount of games. I can't even really imagine having that many, though it would be cool.

And you are absolutely correct. I didn't mean to sound like I was crying about having a small collection. I am quite happy with it. My collection is bigger than it was before, and I have plenty to keep me busy and having fun for quite some time. I do plan on continuing to slowly grow my collection, but nothing like your buddies have. Of course our situations are much different. They are gamers that regularly play with groups and such, whereas I'm just a dude that plays occasionally with his family. So I don't need as many games. There are many games out there that I want and I can see that buying games could easily become addicting. The three games that I just bought all have expansions that I must have.
I find that getting expansions for games you already like and that get played is a good call. It just adds more to what you already like.

Buying games can be addictive, as there are always more cool ones coming out, and kickstarter campaigns that are tempting. I went for awhile where I was getting caught up in that, but then I realized that in my situation with my group, the more I keep buying, the less chance other games I have will get played, as everyone else is also continuing to buy games. So I slowed doe and became a lot more choosy with board games, but now I have to reign myself in from getting too crazy with tabletop miniatures games, as they can be addicting too because there are so many cool themes for them and the back stories and the cool miniatures that would be fun to paint etc. But at least I've sold some of my board games to help subsidize the miniatures games addiction

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games