Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 22nd, 2020, 03:03 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010's Maps Thread - New Map - 3/22/20

2nd submission for ARV (I'm going to submit Refraction as well since I made it like two weeks before the contest was announced and it fits the requirements).

Just Enough...
Requires: 1 RotV and 1 TJ

Will get bios up soon.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 05:00 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Are you looking for feedback before submitting those maps?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:46 AM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Are you looking for feedback before submitting those maps?
Yeah feedback is welcome. I am changing the glyphs on Refraction to Gerda (land side) and Valda (water). Have played a couple games like that and it’s played much much better. I also have a slight aesthetic edit for it to make the sand on level 1 surround the 3-hex. Looks visually more progressive IMO.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 05:14 PM

Nevermind.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 08:28 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I really like Just Enough...! Looks like a really cool base design that would encourage strategic games. That said, I do think it could use a few modifications. I'm most worried about the big hills being too rewarding to turtle play. I do think the two 3-hex hill just outside of the start zones are okay because the ruins limit them so well -- good way to make something defensive that won't also dominate the battlefield. The larger hills that are towards the middle of the map seem to favor leaving the start zone on the left too much, and I would move them just 1 hex further center (as in closer to the further start zone, not closer to the glyphs).

The hills just outside the start zones on the right are definitely problematic. They're limited with the few start zones available to get on them immediately, but kiting range can always retreat to it, especially dragons, to create a yours/mine situation that can be really annoying. I'd redesign those to open up the flanks more, maybe with a bit more level 2 to it to create better flow (as opposed to the one random raised single hex on those flanks).

I'd also see if you can raise the water around the glyphs to also be level 1 so that double-spacers can access the glyphs. And if I'm being really picky, I don't think the yours/mine treasure glyphs are needed or benefitting the map much (but I'm also never really a fan of yours/mine random glyphs -- if you get one better than your opponent's it's an automatic edge).

Really excited to see how this one turns out!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:23 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Lol I forgot to respond. Looks like Bigga beat me to the punch. I agree with what he’s said. Overall I like the direction, just needs a few tune ups. I’d also add that the “gappy” look near the SZ where you can see under the board is a little distracting. Maybe fill that in...or take the picture at a steeper angle? Also, the “dip” in sand near the center tree seems pointless. I’d like to see that level or even raised up as a single elevation spot.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 23rd, 2020, 02:55 PM

HS2010's Maps Thread - New Map - 3/23/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Spoiler Alert!
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!
Appreciate the feedback guys. I did mess around in VS quite a bit but the terrain is fully used and stretched to the max (which is the point of this contest), so it's really hard to reposition anything without a complete makeover. That said, I did a complete makeover and came up with a brand new map!

So here it is:

Hold Out
Requires: 1 RotV and 1 TJ

Uses 2 Wannoks, 2 Thorians, 2 Random Power Glyphs, and 2 Random Treasure Glyphs
- Recommended random Power Glyph Pool is Dagmar, Ulnavia, Lodin, and Kelda
- Recommended random Treasure Glyph Pool is Heroic Rune, Talisman of Defense, Searing Amulet [C3V], Ring of Protection, and Elixir of Speed
- Trap for the Treasure Glyphs is 1 wound to all figures on glyphs.

Map layout and glyphs are based off of Dignan's Fragment. Note that Thorian is only against normal attacks so special attacks still work and the jungle still provides cover against SAs. I really want to run some games on this to see how the glyphs play.

I have also reworked Refraction. After several games I wasn't entirely satisfied with how the water side was playing with the mirrored sand 3-hexes. Here's the rework:

Refraction
Requires: 1 RotV, 1 VW

With this version, I was able to get a single-hex rock on the less traveled side to the same level as the lava field on the more traveled side to hopefully provide more incentive to travel on that side. I did take out Gerda and put Valda in the water and Dagmar on the land. Looking forward to seeing how this improves the map.

Feedback on the Hold Out and the rework of Refraction is much appreciated as always! Might still fiddle around with Just Enough to see if there's anything that would work but we'll see how Hold Out plays first.

Edit: Just as I say I couldn't figure anything out for Just Enough... and took one last look at the inspiration, I figure something out so here's the .pdf of an updated Just Enough...

The sand in the middle underneath can’t be raised because it’s a 7-hex underneath the 24-hex.

Last edited by Sheep; March 24th, 2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old March 24th, 2020, 01:46 PM

Game Tracker for Hold Out:

Game 1:
(heroscaper2010) Knights of Weston x3, Sir Gilbert, Sir Denrick, Sir Orrick, and Eldgrim the Viking Champion
(kevindola) Venoc Vipers x7, Elite Onyx Vipers, and Venoc Warlord
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2:
(heroscaper2010) Gladiatrons x3, Blastatrons x2, and Eltahale
(kevindola) Skeletons of Annellentia x2, Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, and Myrddin
Spoiler Alert!

Game 3:
(heroscaper2010) Wolves of Badru x3, Werewolf Lord, Suskra, and Maltis Tez
(wargamingaddict87) Sir Dupuis and Phantom Knights x5
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Sheep; March 30th, 2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old March 29th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Been meaning to stop by here again. Hold Out is a pretty cool design, but when it comes to competitive play I don't really like having so many glyphs on a map, and especially Thorian since that does nothing to limit the power of a lot of strong figures like Nilfheim and Q9. It does look like a really fun map for a lot of formats, though, like ones that have more of a draft process to offset the quirks of the map.

I think that somewhere between Hold Out and Just Enough is a really strong competitive map. They both have really strong qualities with both design and aesthetics, but (for me) both are falling just short of "standard" competitive play.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 29th, 2020, 03:55 PM

Oh dear...i totally forgot to comment here as well. Bigga voiced how I'm feeling. I actually felt like Just Enough wasn't that far off and just needed a few tweaks, so I was sad to see it go. For me, Hold Out is actually "less close". Way too many glyphs and I'm personally of the opinion Thorian should never be on a competitive map or in a tournament glyph pool. It swings the game too far to one side by completely negating a figures' ability. It makes it a little tougher sure for strong units like Nilfeim but much more difficult for units that "need" that ability like Sentinels or Minions. I will say that the short distance between opponents does make Thorian less of an issue, but that's also the very reason not to have it on the map; that is, if it's not going to have that much of an impact anyway, then don't have it.

I like Refraction...looks like a solid map

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 29th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Oh dear...i totally forgot to comment here as well. Bigga voiced how I'm feeling. I actually felt like Just Enough wasn't that far off and just needed a few tweaks, so I was sad to see it go. For me, Hold Out is actually "less close". Way too many glyphs and I'm personally of the opinion Thorian should never be on a competitive map or in a tournament glyph pool. It swings the game too far to one side by completely negating a figures' ability. It makes it a little tougher sure for strong units like Nilfeim but much more difficult for units that "need" that ability like Sentinels or Minions. I will say that the short distance between opponents does make Thorian less of an issue, but that's also the very reason not to have it on the map; that is, if it's not going to have that much of an impact anyway, then don't have it.

I like Refraction...looks like a solid map
You're thinking of Ranneveig or however you spell it. Thorian is the one that prevents your figures from being targeted by normal ranged attacks.

I don't feel like either glyphs are appropriate for tournament play. I'd be interested to know if they've ever been used at GenCon ( @OrcElfArmyOne , any insights there?)

As for the map, I agree with what's been said by both Sir H and Bigga. I feel Just Enough was closer to the standard. They are definitely cool and interesting in terms of map design, but they are the kind of maps where the best experiences come as you draft for the map, and while I love playing those types of maps (and building them), they aren't standardized enough for tournament play. Certain armies will just be punished or favored too much.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 29th, 2020, 04:52 PM

Oh oops haha. Yeah that. Well, I’d still agree there’s not a place for it in the competitive sense.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios