Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old November 1st, 2007, 03:59 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
Zealot's army point combinations: Opinions wanted

Hey everybody,
I'm a big fan of Utgar's army but I'm not very interested in the Orcs and I dont usually use Marro armies (although Marro Warriors, and eventually Wu-Sa-Ga, kick butt). Either way I have a neat little system that I've come up with for selecting my armies for a map. I use little premade point combos that can be mixed and matched for whatever the situation may be.
I've written a similar post to this a long time ago but my combos have experienced some major remodeling after Wave 7's release.

So here are my combos using all Utgar units + Eldgrim because he is one of my favorite filler heroes and both an excellent glyph grabber and complement to the Zettian Guards.

200 point combos...

Mimring
Marro Warriors
(this is the first of my 2 ranged combos)

Cyprien Esenwein
Sonya Esenwein
(this one is only 195 points but the 5 points doesn't really factor in with the others)

Deathstalkers x2 (I'll also use just one squad of these guys for a 100pt group/combo)

100 point combos...

Iskra Esenwein
Rechets of Bogdan
(This group is just fun to play and has some exellent assassin capabilities)

Eldgrim the Viking Champion
Zettian Guards
(Eldgrim, the only non Utgar unit, fits my second ranged combo really well; group/combo for glyph grabbing and support work)

300 point combo...

Khosumet the Darklord
Anubian Wolves x3
(Speed, defense, and possibly a deadly attack)

400 point combo...

Taelord the Kyrie Warrior
Minions of Utgar x2
(Really strong melee group, mostly for high point games though where Tealord can help other units too)

So those are the combos that I'm using at the moment in most of my games, I'm going to be trying some of them later tonight when Rennix comes over, but I would appreciate anyones opionions or ideas concerning the different combinations I can make with these...
Are there any that you think are especially good, bad, ones you'd try yourself, level of competitiveness, ect...

Plus all the combos together equal a perfect 1500 points, if you ignore the -5 points from Cyprien and Sonya's combo, so I'm set for any massive point games

What does everyone think...

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I like the idea of creating point pods. I'd be tempted to refine the idea to a hybrid army core/point pod concept. Say you design 300-400 point army cores that have good synergy and focus. Then you use these 100-300 point pods to fill out the army for different maps or point spreads. Using your examples here are a potential melee core and ranged core:

Cyprien
Sonya
Iskra
Rechets

Mimring
MW
ZG
Eldgrim

Each at 300 points. Deathstalkersx2 is a great pod - toss it on a ranged core and go. 1xMinions/NeGokSa would be another solid melee pod. Mimring/MW is also a good ranged pod. By refining your concept to cores and pods you make your decision time even faster and the resulting armies even better.

~Aldin, who thinks you should go ask Vydar for some range if you want to really boost your effectiveness

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
300 Point Core

Stingers x3
Rats x3

Ullar Cores (because Ullar rules)

Venoc Warlord
Elite Onyx Vipers
Venoc Vipers x2

Total = 300

Syvarris
Deadeye Dan
Aubrien Archers x2

Total = 300

Aubrien Archers x4
Kyntela Gwyn

Total = 300

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
Thanks Aldin,

I thought of another core that uses Cyprien and Sonya.
The five points left over by Sonya was really bothering me so I came up with a decent all purpose core of heroes for 300 points.

Cyprien
Sonya
James Murphy
Eldgrim

A perfect 300 points that gives me a little bit of everything: flight, range, glyph grabbing, special attacks, and life points...

And for a 200 pointer to better match some of my 300 point cores of melee I have

Marcu Esenwein
Marro Stingers x3

180 points of range plus the 20 point filler (That is still Utgar ) which is what most of my cores are lacking.

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

I just got my second sets of glads and blasts so I'm updating my army cores to include the Vydar units I enjoy... I dropped Taelord, the Deathstalkers and a few others in order to utilize Marro Stingers and the Glads/Blasts, I believe these groups are considerably superior to my previous ones (even though some of them did not change)

I've broken them into groups of 100s, either 500, 300, 200 (although I can mix and match these teams at will, these are the most common groups I use)

Major Q10
Blastatrons x2
Gladiatrons x2
Isamu
Marro Stingers ----------------- 500 points

Iskra Esenwein
Rechets of Bogdan
Zettian Guards
Minions of Utgar x3 ----------- 500 points

Cyprien Esenwein
Sonya Esenwein
James Murphy
Eldgrim the V. Champion ----- 300 points

Marcu Esenwein
Marro Stingers x3 ------------- 200 points

Mimring
Marro Warriors ----------------200 points

Khosumet
Anubian Wolves x3-------------300 points

Again, I can mix and match to fill in points as I need them but these are the main cores or chunks for armies that I use.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion