Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old September 26th, 2019, 05:31 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

I wasnt sure how you placed the minis on the turntable but I was thinking to put a dab of white tack on the bottom of the models so they dont move.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 26th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I wasnt sure how you placed the minis on the turntable but I was thinking to put a dab of white tack on the bottom of the models so they dont move.
I don't put anything, but that's a good idea.
Old September 27th, 2019, 03:07 PM

Dissonance is surprisingly tart

So Pumpkin King was asking me on Steam about cleaning models and the workflow. So I took your original guide for HexScape and added more detail, hopefully enough for someone who has never used Blender to be able to clean a model, here's my expanded guide.

As you'll see my instructions call for the model to be rebased cleaned and an .stl exported at 32000 triangles, while the final decimation for TS is about 4000 triangles (actual target is an .obj of <512kB) and subject to UV fixes and baking. I don't know anything about 3D printing so can't say much about adding supports to models, but I figure the people with the printers would be able to handle that, they just need the model.

It seems this project is sufficiently popular for us to form some kind of team to get every model scanned and finished. In which case we could do with getting organised and making a to-do list, production line and division of labour, what do you think?
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:28 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
As you'll see my instructions call for the model to be rebased cleaned and an .stl exported at 32000 triangles, while the final decimation for TS is about 4000 triangles (actual target is an .obj of <512kB) and subject to UV fixes and baking. I don't know anything about 3D printing so can't say much about adding supports to models, but I figure the people with the printers would be able to handle that, they just need the model.

It seems this project is sufficiently popular for us to form some kind of team to get every model scanned and finished. In which case we could do with getting organised and making a to-do list, production line and division of labour, what do you think?
Thanks for making a guide! I read through part of it, but I'll need to go through it thoroughly and add my own comments (and shortcuts, such as the F6 key after bisecting).

Some immediate comments:
- export the .stl BEFORE decimating. Some of the models have a lot of small details that you lose if you decimate (see my example of Pelloth below, decimated to 35000 faces. It loses his hairline details.)

- my 3DF Zephyr files seem to generate a lot of random vertices hanging in air that are not attached to the model. After I clean a model and cut off the scanned base, I select a single vertex on the figure and press ctrl-L to select all faces attached to that vertex. Then I translate the selected figure 4 inches in the X direction, press ctrl-A to unselect the figure, use ctrl-Z to turn on wireframe, use ctrl-B to select all the random points left over, and delete them. Then I use ctrl-A and translate the good figurel back -4 inches.

- I put several figures in a single scan. For the textures to work correctly, you should work on only one figure in a blender file and delete the rest. Or you can work them all together in Edit mode and then save them separately later. DON'T use ctrl-P in edit mode to make them into separate models--you'll lose the texture information.

I think organization would be a good idea. Let me think about it this weekend and come up with a plan (unless you have a plan). In the meantime, you can use the models I posted to make TS models. Don't worry about making .stl files--I made .stl files already of most of those models.
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:55 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like the sound of this as a group effort. That would indeed speed the process. I myself have over 5000 minis so I could probably contribute some pretty sweet models to the project if I get the scanning process down. I also have a couple thousand articulated action figures that would be quite fun to turn into miniatures. 500 or so of those are star wars 3.75in figures, then there are marvel legends, marvel universe, ninja turtles, and a ton of others. I really hope I can put together a lighting picture booth with a turntable this weekend.

Old September 27th, 2019, 08:06 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I like the sound of this as a group effort. That would indeed speed the process. I myself have over 5000 minis so I could probably contribute some pretty sweet models to the project if I get the scanning process down. I also have a couple thousand articulated action figures that would be quite fun to turn into miniatures. 500 or so of those are star wars 3.75in figures, then there are marvel legends, marvel universe, ninja turtles, and a ton of others. I really hope I can put together a lighting picture booth with a turntable this weekend.
The ability to take action figures and shrink them down to Heroscape size would be cool.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 28th, 2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Thanks for making a guide! I read through part of it, but I'll need to go through it thoroughly and add my own comments (and shortcuts, such as the F6 key after bisecting).

Some immediate comments:
- export the .stl BEFORE decimating. Some of the models have a lot of small details that you lose if you decimate (see my example of Pelloth below, decimated to 35000 faces. It loses his hairline details.)

- my 3DF Zephyr files seem to generate a lot of random vertices hanging in air that are not attached to the model. After I clean a model and cut off the scanned base, I select a single vertex on the figure and press ctrl-L to select all faces attached to that vertex. Then I translate the selected figure 4 inches in the X direction, press ctrl-A to unselect the figure, use ctrl-Z to turn on wireframe, use ctrl-B to select all the random points left over, and delete them. Then I use ctrl-A and translate the good figurel back -4 inches.

- I put several figures in a single scan. For the textures to work correctly, you should work on only one figure in a blender file and delete the rest. Or you can work them all together in Edit mode and then save them separately later. DON'T use ctrl-P in edit mode to make them into separate models--you'll lose the texture information.

Yeah the guide is still based on the scans you did with 123DCatch which were single models and probably had different mesh issues to the 3DF Zephyr scans. The decimating part definitely needs some expansion, I think it's still worth describing the remove doubles tool, which can deal with issues the decimate modifier can't.

The other thing I was wondering about is whether we should be baking the texture before decimating further, this way we could get "museum quality" textured figures, which are too high detail for games but can be used by people for a painting reference. I didn't include this initially because it could mean two rounds of UV fixes, before and after decimation and these can be the most time consuming part.
Old September 28th, 2019, 11:17 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I’m following the thread with interest - a goal of mine is to make a Tabletop Simulator mod for C3V miniatures, and having the models would be fantastic.
Old September 30th, 2019, 11:19 AM

To get a grip on this project, let me try to categorize what we would like to accomplish.

Classic
1) Ultra/matte resolution .stl files of all classic figures
2) Tabletop Simulator .obj models of missing classic squad figures (see Dissonance's list)

C3V
3) Ultra/matte resolution .stl files of all C3V figures
4) Tabletop Simulator .obj models of all C3V figures (I have some of these models cleaned and based and ready to make textures)

Other
5) Ultra/matte resolution .stl files of additional figures (Marvel, HoSS, C3G, etc...)
6) Tabletop Simulator .obj models of additional figures (Marvel, HoSS, C3G, etc...)

To do this, there are several major steps:
A) Take photographs
B) Run through 3DF Zephyr (see Note below)
C) Import to Blender to Scale, Clean, and Base --> Export high resolution .stl file
D) Decimate and Clean up texture in Blender --> Export TS .obj file
E) Additional steps to integrate to Tabletop Simulator (and Hexscape)

(Note: there are other programs, such as Meshmixer, which might work as well or better than 3DF Zephyr, but I haven't tried them)

This is A LOT to do, even if we just restrict ourselves to the Classic and C3V figures.

More thoughts

Before we start, I'd like to get an idea of who is willing to be involved, and in what areas you'd like to help. Also, it would be useful for those interested to run through some of the steps on a single figure--some of the steps are tricky to get right in the beginning (but fairly easy once you become familiar with the steps).

So, I suggest we start this way:
1) White Knight--I've already run 3DF Zephyr on several Classic figures, so I'm going to finish converting those to .stl models

2) @Dissonance --you can start converting the models I posted of the Drow, Shades, and Samurai Archers to TS models

3) @SharkRider1 --take 50 pictures of a single figure (or a group of 3 or 4 figures) from Wave 2, 3, or 7 and post those pictures online (Gorillinators, Microcorp Agents, Heavy Gruts, or Zombies would be good for a start). I will run them through 3DF Zephyr to see how they come out.

4) Everyone else--let me know how you'd like to be involved and start running through those steps with a single figure. I can give you suggestions on where to start.

Once we get an idea of everyone's capabilities, we can better decide how to divide up the work.
Old September 30th, 2019, 12:58 PM

I added the missing Shades, Drow and Archers to the TS mod. I may redo the one of each that I had already just so it's the same quality as the others but that's not a high priority.

One thing I wanted to ask about is the Rise of the Valkyrie master set models which are currently based on the VirtualScape models so aren't the best quality. Given that this is a master set would it be worth re-scanning them?

@White Knight do you have these figures?
Old September 30th, 2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
I added the missing Shades, Drow and Archers to the TS mod. I may redo the one of each that I had already just so it's the same quality as the others but that's not a high priority.

One thing I wanted to ask about is the Rise of the Valkyrie master set models which are currently based on the VirtualScape models so aren't the best quality. Given that this is a master set would it be worth re-scanning them?

@White Knight do you have these figures?
Yes, I have the RotV figures and plan to scan them. I haven't made them a high priority since they are more available than most other figures. Do you need them for TS? If so, I'll go ahead and do them next.
Old September 30th, 2019, 04:06 PM
"like" happy

I am interested in helping here but need to get a handle on the programs better to be able to. My brother may also help out. Im afraid that I cant be of any real help at the moment but once I get the hang of a few things and set up my photobooth Ill get back to you guys for sure.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing