Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old October 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Halloween Extravaganza!

In a different thread that had nothing to do with All Hallow's Eve, Satyr said I didn't know Halloween. Well, I had to show I have a little appreciation for the darkest of Holiday's so here is a replay of my reply ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr
You obviously don't know what it takes to work and ready the house for mayhem
There my friend, you are soooo wrong! But, I do it correctly.

At dusk on Halloween Eve I completely decorate the house ... well, I did when I lived in SoCal. The decorations included a fog machine, a multitude of gravestones, half buried zombies digging their way out of the ground, a casket also half buried with a zombie shaking the lid attempting to free himself, a plethora of spiderwebs, rotted cloths, flying bats and spiders. To top it off there was a ghost in the front window whose glowing red eyes would follow you no matter where you were on the street (think Haunted Mansion statues from Disneyland)! All of this would come down around midnight. None of the decorations were ever seen in daylight so as to keep the scariness factor entombed in the minds of children!

Some images from All Hallow's Eve past:

Everything you see I created, no store bought items here!

Some things that need description: The ghost in the window can be seen (Top Photo), however due to the flash the eyes cannot be seen that follow you wherever you go. The coffin faces the wrong way (it faces the door for full view when Trick-or-Treaters come to the door) so you don't see the skeletal hand shaking the lid. The Zombie's shoulders (Bottom Left Photo) roll giving the effect of it trying to free itself from the ground. The "fog" can be seen slightly (Bottom Left Photo), that's not a blur, it was turned off for most of the photography. Note that the "spiderwebs" are a little roughed up due to children freaking out and running through them by the time of the photography ...

Now, who doesn't know Halloween and how to do it?

So what do you do for Halloween ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:32 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
(moved from the other thread)

Mal - you MADE all those?
That zombie looks stupendous. Man, I'd love to see a layout like that, or some of the others I've seen pictured by (I think) Satyr or nwojedi....

Did you make the ghost with eyes that follow you? How would you make THAT?
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Cool stuff, Mal! I generally turn off all the lights and hide from the scary creatures outside...

Newb.
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Yes. All made by me.

The most difficult was the "coffin". Designing the angles with which to cut before assembly, so that it stuck out of the ground at that angle! I created skeletal fingers that are coming out grabbing the lip of the lid. A small remote motor with a levered wheel in the coffin pushed the lid in and out which gave the impression something was pushing from the inside.

The zombie heads were made from rubber, just like regular Halloween masks, except with eyes and they extended down the chest to give it a truly inhuman look ... Yeah, I can do that. I wanted to be a S/FX makeup artist for the longest time ... I would still do it if the opportunity arose. The bodies were dressed wooden skeletons with foam rubber muscles and remote motors connected toi the shoulders and arms like the coffin had. I could control both the zombies and the coffin from inside the house to get them to move at the opportune time.

The gravestones were created with doubled 2" Styrofoam 2' x 4' sheets, carved and painted (the flash made them look much more white than they were) to resemble old stone.

As for the ghost in the window with the wandering eyes. It is a real world special effect. If you've ever been in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland/world, there are statues there that follow your every move watching you. How do they do it? They are not statues but hollow inverted representations giving the illusion of the statues turning to face you. To make the eyes follow you, the eyes are cut out of the ghost painting. A black box is placed behind the eye area with a glowing red light for each eye. Because the "eyes" are set back they appear to follow you no matter where you are on the street. ... Let me tell you this was fun watching people walk back and forth, then suddenly turn the other way trying to catch the eyes off guard!

Old October 9th, 2006, 05:16 PM

bushi96 has disabled reputation
Oh man I wished you lived in my neighborhood! We could put on quite the show. Every year we make new costumes (been working on Pinhead for a about a month this year). The previous years costumes we switch out with mannequins. The kids never quite know which creature is going to jump out and grab them this year.

So, for my Pinhead I am to the place to attach the needles to my head. I made my own needles but do not know the best way to attach- they are too heavy for spirit gum. I am thinking of making latex prosthetics. Poke the needles thru the prosthetic and glue them to the underside. Then glue the whole prosthetic to my face. What do you think?

We are getting to the point of creating some animatronics, got any good web sites you recommend?

"I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are"
~G. Marx~
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
That is awesome! I would probably have to keep my kids away from your house for a couple more years to prevent nightmares.
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushi96
We are getting to the point of creating some animatronics, got any good web sites you recommend?
Although the prices run to the extreme for animatronics, I suggest FrightCatalog.com as a starting point to see what can be done. Their prices range from a low of $15.00 to an outlandish $10,000.00 depending on the intricacy of the animatronic involved. You do get what you pay for ...

Ultimate Electric Chair

Price:$6,900.00 (click the above pic and then watch him in action!) - Oh, and be sure to check out Death Chamber video!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
That is awesome! I would probably have to keep my kids away from your house for a couple more years to prevent nightmares.
My favorite story about the 'haunted' house ... The first year my (now Ex) wife and I moved in, a little trick-or-treater no more than 4 or 5 comes to the door in a bunny costume. Her eyes wide as saucers claims to her parents "That is the scariest house ... ever!" Flash forward a few years, the same girl arrives this Halloween dressed as a princess, now all calm and sophisticated she proclaims for all to hear "This house isn't sooo scary." At which point the coffin lid begins to open ... I assume as she ran down the driveway the house had reclaimed its earlier title from her.

Old October 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
/scene/ about 15 years ago. My dad, dressed in a long flowing silvery robe, face painted ghoulishly, eyes mostly closed, hands folded in his lap sitting on a chair on the porch looking like any of the other stuffed 'monsters' in front of houses on halloween. Mother and child, about 6 or 7 walk up to the door.

little kid says, pointing at the 'monster', "Mommy, that monster looks real"

Monster(my dad), stretching out his hand toward the child, says in his macabre halloween voice, "Maaaaaybee it iiiis."

Child RUNS across the street. My mother takes candy to the kid, feeling bad.

Fast forward one year. Same kid and mother approaching up the block. Kid pauses, looks at the house, crosses the street, walks past our house on the other side of the street, then comes back across the street to ring the bell of the next door neighbor
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Our 'crypt' from a couple of years ago. This has become a long running tradition, neighborhood kids and people we don't even know start asking in September if we are doing it each year.

Basically the mini-maze crypt leads to the front door and the candy. You have to brave it to get the good stuff. Teens are the most fun, because they loudly proclaim how not scared they are...it is great to make them scream and jump. And of course, we always tone it down for the littlest spooks.

The entrance with fog and a projected 'vortex' (which of course doesn't show up on the pic)

Some of the home made grave stones out front (made in much the same way as Malechi's:

The star of the attraction, my animated ghost (she floats and moves her arms and head with glowing red eyes) THis particular year we had her behind a red guaze-like veil, darkened until we were ready for our guests to see her:

And the resident ogre. He likes to pop out of "walls" to greet visitors :

Malechi, I hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread...if you prefer, I will move them to another)
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Malechi, I hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread...if you prefer, I will move them to another)
No, no, no! That's why this thread is here! Could you imagine a new thread for every member for every Holiday??? Here are my Kwanzaa Pix from this year ...

Old October 10th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
No, no, no! That's why this thread is here! Could you imagine a new thread for every member for every Holiday??? Here are my Kwanzaa Pix from this year ...
You get me every time.
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM

bushi96 has disabled reputation
Cavalier- I made that exact same ghost! Same foam head and everything! Except I soak mine in detergent and then put a blacklight under her. She then glows an eerie light blue. And the LED's are blue also. I'll try to get some pics up or maybe a youtube.com video...

"I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are"
~G. Marx~

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General