Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

Old December 29th, 2017, 11:46 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Nintendo Switch

Well Rykan, my 7 year old, has had his Switch for a few days now. I am sad to say that he has barely touched it, mostly due to him being too obsessed with playing Roblox. Still, it was on the top of his Christmas wish-list and he hasn’t shown much excitement for it yet.

I, on the other hand, love this thing. I know that I have voiced a lot of negativity about this system but I am glad to say that I was mostly wrong. I won’t mention all the things that make it so great because it has already been said by others. But I do want to mention the one thing that surprised me the most, the one feature that I didn’t think that I cared about, that I didn’t know that I wanted. Portability! I just didn’t care about it. I just couldn’t see myself playing games away from home.

But I hadn’t thought about all the times at home that I would use this feature. Usually when my wife says she is going to bed I just turn everything off and go with her. I usually lie in bed for a while and read or get on my phone. But for the past few nights I have simply slid the Switch out of the dock, turned off the TV, and then I’m in bed playin’ Zelda: Breath of the Wild! I freakin' love it! Or, if it’s too loud in my kid’s room, where I’m playing, I just pull it out and head to the living room. If nature calls at the same time that I enter this new dungeon........eh, you get the picture

I still prefer to play on the big screen but I am loving the option of easily going from room to room when the need arises. If they keep putting out great games for this system, it could easily become my favorite system of all time. Right now my biggest problem with it is trying to decide between playing Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; December 29th, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:58 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

After pining over this for the last year, I finally picked it up a few days ago with a work Christmas bonus! only got to play Zelda once, but I’m in love!

Looking forward to grabbing Mario Kart, Fast RMX, and maybe The End is Nigh! I would totally get Binding of Isaac, but I’ve put so many hours on my Steam version that I can’t justify a portable one, even though that sounds amazing...

And with the Bayonetta 3 announcement I couldn’t wait any longer to get the system. Just wish we had a tentative release date for that!!

So now I’m trying to save up the cash to buy these crazy expensive controllers so I can race with friends
Old January 28th, 2018, 01:48 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I have a horse and we’re friends.
Old January 28th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I got a Switch over the holidays last year, and I have to say that two games in particular have been a surprising delight: ARMS and Crawl have taken up most of my time, despite my expectations for Zelda and Mario Kart to dominate the system.

Crawl is an absolute blast of a party game to play, and it works like a dream on the Switch with each player using a single Joy-Con. It functions as a four-player dungeon crawler where one player controls the hero, and everyone else controls the monsters--whoever kills the hero gets to be him next--leading to frequent team-ups and hilarity as monsters work together to try and tackle the hero. Once someone reaches level 10, they can challenge the final boss, which is controlled by the other three players (for example, one possible boss is a hydra, where each player controls a separate head).

The game has been a favorite amongst my friends, and it contains a ton of variety in monster choices and gear that the hero can find. For anyone looking for party games, I highly recommend taking a closer look at Crawl.

ARMS, meanwhile, is a very unique fighting game with more niche appeal. I'm typically only a friend of party brawlers like Super Smash Bros., but ARMS' different 3D perspective and movement (along with the unique motion controls, which can easily be turned off if you don't like them), combined with its charm and colorful design, led me to try out the game. It has an initial learning curve, but after getting a grasp on the controls, it's become an absolute blast to dance through volleys of attacks and curve ARMS around to hit the other player, resulting in some very high-level plays. The game also has a considerable amount of content to unlock, since all ARMS can be unlocked and upgraded for all characters.

I figured that I should make a quick post about what has surprisingly been my two favorite games on the Switch, since most of the time I only see the bigger games listed. To anyone on the fence about these games, I highly recommend them, especially if you have people nearby to play with you!
Old January 28th, 2018, 03:20 PM
...has moist legs

I’d love to get ARMS, but need to save up again!
Never heard of Crawl though, so I’ll have to look into it, especially if it’s a 4 player party game!
Old January 28th, 2018, 06:56 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Crawl is an absolute blast of a party game to play, and it works like a dream on the Switch with each player using a single Joy-Con. It functions as a four-player dungeon crawler where one player controls the hero, and everyone else controls the monsters--whoever kills the hero gets to be him next--leading to frequent team-ups and hilarity as monsters work together to try and tackle the hero. Once someone reaches level 10, they can challenge the final boss, which is controlled by the other three players (for example, one possible boss is a hydra, where each player controls a separate head).

The game has been a favorite amongst my friends, and it contains a ton of variety in monster choices and gear that the hero can find. For anyone looking for party games, I highly recommend taking a closer look at Crawl.

ARMS, meanwhile, is a very unique fighting game with more niche appeal. I'm typically only a friend of party brawlers like Super Smash Bros., but ARMS' different 3D perspective and movement (along with the unique motion controls, which can easily be turned off if you don't like them), combined with its charm and colorful design, led me to try out the game. It has an initial learning curve, but after getting a grasp on the controls, it's become an absolute blast to dance through volleys of attacks and curve ARMS around to hit the other player, resulting in some very high-level plays. The game also has a considerable amount of content to unlock, since all ARMS can be unlocked and upgraded for all characters.

I figured that I should make a quick post about what has surprisingly been my two favorite games on the Switch, since most of the time I only see the bigger games listed. To anyone on the fence about these games, I highly recommend them, especially if you have people nearby to play with you!
Hah, @Lord Pyre pretty much mirrored my intended response to this. I too plan on getting Arms when I save up for it. I too have never heard of Crawl. It sounds pretty sweet and I'll be looking it up as soon as I'm done with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
I have a horse and we’re friends.
Hehe. I love finding and taming horses.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:08 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Ironically, ARMS just went on sale in NA for 30% off on the Nintendo eShop. I believe that the sale ends on February 1st, so there's a little bit more time to get the game digitally at a discount if anyone was really wanting to. I definitely highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fighting games!
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Just a quick Switch update for other old school jrpg fans. Battlechasers Nightwar finally made it out on the Switch and it is the first old school jrpg on the Switch that I've thoroughly enjoyed. And the art is amazing.

~Aldin, still only about five hours in

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 25th, 2018, 12:28 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Aldin , I haven't heard of Battlechasers Nightwar before. I'll definitely look into it!

On a similar note, have you heard of (or played) Blossom Tales? It's an old-school-style RPG reminiscent of the SNES era. Actually, the concept is an homage to Zelda: A Link to the Past. Parallel game flow, plot, mechanics, etc. as ALttP. I highly recommend playing it if you haven't!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
@Aldin , I haven't heard of Battlechasers Nightwar before. I'll definitely look into it!

On a similar note, have you heard of (or played) Blossom Tales? It's an old-school-style RPG reminiscent of the SNES era. Actually, the concept is an homage to Zelda: A Link to the Past. Parallel game flow, plot, mechanics, etc. as ALttP. I highly recommend playing it if you haven't!
Thank you for mentioning Blossom Tales. That game drives me crazy for the weirdest of reasons. I keep coming across it in spare moments and thinking... that looks like something I need to try. Then, later, when I'm on the Switch it's like... now what was the name of that game again? It is lovely to have a post to which I can refer the next time that happens!

~Aldin, who is having a hard time adjusting to new party combinations in Nightwar now that there are four from which to choose

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:56 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?

Anyone picking up Fortnite for Switch?
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:33 PM

I don't have much interest in Fortnite, unfortunately. I'm still trying to trek my way through Breath of the Wild when I get the chance, and the going there is slow.

Just as a quick heads up for any potential Fortnite fans, though: make sure to not link your account to PSN if you want to play on a platform other than the PS4. Currently, linking it to that platform means that you'll have to create a new account to play Fortnite anywhere else, and there's no workaround for this.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games