Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I got my own copy of Pathfinder as a Christmas gift. I had played it in a group of 5 and went through the first two scenarios that come in the box. The game arrived at my home Monday night so I un-boxed it and played through a couple of scenarios. Then the most unexpected thing happened! The school I teach at was cancelled because of the ridiculous cold! So, needless to say, I spent 7 hours of my "off" day running through as many adventures as I could.

I really love this game. The rpg elements in it are just enough to keep you invested in your character. I really can feel them getting more powerful as I progress through the scenarios and aquire better weapons, armor, spells, and feats. Also, while I have been mostly successful (only 2 failures to this point), each and every game has come down to the wire where one die roll could mean the end of the game. The tension is definitely there.

The group of 5 that I originally played with liked it so much, we are starting a regular group to work our way through the game. We meet tomorrow!!!

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Last night my group played Blueprints, a dice game where everyone has their own secret blueprint card, and dice are drawn and rolled and separated into their values. There are four different color dice. Players take a die, then place it on their hidden blueprint card (which shows how their "dice sculpture" should be built. This is done six times for each player, then their sculptures are scored (each color die has different scoring mechanics, as well as placing the dice has it's own restrictions). Awards are given out based on several things, then the game is reset and two more rounds are played. The awards are added at the end and that score determines the winner. I liked it.

Then we played Koryo. It is a card game with a steampunk-play influence and try to take over the government-type theme. It wasn't bad, but not one of my favorited.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:26 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Suburbia is freaking awesome! I used to love SimCity (mid 90s versions) and this is the closest (for me) any board game has come (while keeping it simple and fun at the same time). The theme and mechanics meld seemlessly. I can't reccommend this one enough if you like city building.

-insert signature here-
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played through a couple of Rivet Wars scenarios. Definitely cool and unlike any boardgame I currently have. Just started a new Descent 2.0 campaign using the new lieutenant cards and LoB finally playing as the Overlord. I am glad my devious plan to give him the lieutenants for Christmas drew him to the dark side.

Also, I finally received my Wild West Exodus pledge and it was worth the wait. The minis are really nice (35mm) and I ordered quite a few buildings to recreate Tombstone (one of my favorite movies) and get the Earps protecting the town soon.

Played over holidays:
Pathfinder ACG x5 (Hook Mountain Massacre Deck)
Clue FX x2 (forgot how fun this can be with the right people)
Takenoko x3
Compounded x2
Krosmaster Arena x3
Love Letter x4
Dust Warfare x1
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Suburbia is freaking awesome! I used to love SimCity (mid 90s versions) and this is the closest (for me) any board game has come (while keeping it simple and fun at the same time). The theme and mechanics meld seemlessly. I can't reccommend this one enough if you like city building.
Man NYYS, I so wanted this for Christmas but when I ordered it with "supposedly" 1 left in stock, I ended up getting my package that arrived with the other stuff (Snowdonia and an expansion for it, and PACG Skinsaw pack) but now Suburbia, just a note saying they were out of stock of it. Ugh! So now I'll have to wait for awhile to enjoy that one, as nobody in my group has it. I'm glad you are enjoying it, it certainly did look like it was going to be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played through a couple of Rivet Wars scenarios. Definitely cool and unlike any boardgame I currently have. Just started a new Descent 2.0 campaign using the new lieutenant cards and LoB finally playing as the Overlord. I am glad my devious plan to give him the lieutenants for Christmas drew him to the dark side.

Also, I finally received my Wild West Exodus pledge and it was worth the wait. The minis are really nice (35mm) and I ordered quite a few buildings to recreate Tombstone (one of my favorite movies) and get the Earps protecting the town soon.

Played over holidays:
Pathfinder ACG x5 (Hook Mountain Massacre Deck)
Clue FX x2 (forgot how fun this can be with the right people)
Takenoko x3
Compounded x2
Krosmaster Arena x3
Love Letter x4
Dust Warfare x1
Glad to hear Rivet Wars was cool G-O, it certainly looked like it would be fun. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your Wild West Exodus set all set up

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I was fortuante to get Suburbia, it arrived unexpectedly from a Secret Santa (along with Lancaster... crazy!).

I just got my Rivet Wars on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to get a crack at it on Friday night with my son. He's been chomping at the bit for this one ever since the Kickstarted ended over a year ago (and we still have a ton more coming for this one).

-insert signature here-
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Well I look forward to hearing your impressions of Rivet Wars. It's hard for me got get what 2P games I have played, so I couldn't get into that system and get much play out of it unfortunately.

Old January 9th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Suburbia is one of my favorites. It just works for me. My brother doesn't like it much, but for me (and my wife) it hits on all cylinders. If it played to 5 players, I'd own it, but we tend to focus on buying games the whole family can play together.
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Prickly Cactus

Played Eclipse last night and actually won, even though I hadn't played in like a year and a half. The other guys kind of helped me get familiar and understand the tech, and helped me get re-familiar with the rules, so it wasn't like I can take credit for winning totally on my own, but I still did a lot of right things. My friend George and I actually tied, but I had more resources and that was the tiebreaker. He also had the Traitor card for -2VP, so that hurt him. I never built any Dreadnaughts, but had all 4 of my Cruisers built up pretty nasty with two +3 computers to be able to hit on any roll higher than a 1, and had 3 hull (had 5 until adding the two +3's), and had a double hit weapon to easily take out Ancients' ships.

Unfortunately, the four of us took pretty long at this game (though the other 3 had played the game like 30 times), so we didn't end up playing Kemet, which is the one I really had wanted to play. But we did play a quick game called Blueprints that was an alright little dice game.

Old January 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

So... how is Kemet? It looks awesome, and right up my alley as a light wargame.
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played an epic 8-Player, 5-Board game of a dear old favorite last night... ROBO RALLY!!! The game lasted 5 hours.
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
So... how is Kemet? It looks awesome, and right up my alley as a light wargame.
Didn't end up getting to play Kemet because Eclipse too to darn long , we didn't get done with that game until around 10:30 last night and didn't want to start another game that could take an hour and a half. So that's why we just played a quick game of Blueprints.

Next time I go to that guy's house, I'll insist we play Kemet before any other game as I don't want it to get left out again.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games