Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old April 15th, 2016, 07:10 PM

roblyon is surprisingly tart
Awesome HS Tree Options: Apple Orchard

For my money, the single most effective terrain element in creating miniature gaming ambiance is trees. We love the Ticalla palms and rotate in the evergreens, but frankly, we were feeling in need of a fresh scene. I brought in an bunch of custom made, apple trees the other day and maybe it's spring, but we're grooving with how the worked out. These things are beauties.

Not only are they cool as all get out to look out but they have a handy understory that accommodates all but the largest figures. To this end, I've experimented on tree placement and decided on the off center approach. You can see in the pics how a medium or smaller based piece fits on the same tile as the tree

This is HUGE. HR as you will, but being able to actually put your figure on the SAME TILE as the tree, provokes some deliciously interesting cover ideas

Did I mention these trees are a breeze to integrate into the HS tile system. Flat and smooth on the bottom they glue in seconds to the tile. In a week of rough handling I haven't had one topple yet.

Optionally, each tree comes with a nail in the bottom. I was going to pull it out and swap it for one with a bigger head, drill a small hole in the bottom of the tile and simply nail the tree to it. Gluing appears to obviate the need for that, though.

The trees are relatively rugged compared with Woodland Scenics. You'll have a bit of tree shake fall out from time time but the foliage adheres snugly to the branches and doesn't look to be at all a problem. I've heard the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but in this case I haven't seen one fall yet.

The trees have an authentic wooden trunk and each is hand made by Bill and Judy Stroup and marketed largely for the hobby train market. They are quite affordable. They have other species as well as fruit trees and I hope to post pictures of a northern pine forest soon. You can reach Bill, here, at: billsbargaintrees@verizon.net

Pics coming . . .

Last edited by roblyon; April 15th, 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Awesome HS Tree Options: Apple Orchard

Cool. I brought the following from your post on boardgamegeek.
Quote:
$48 plus ship for a six pack.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:06 PM

roblyon is surprisingly tart

Cool. I'm digging the look and the functionality of them. Might be posting up a look a the evergreens before too very long.

Cheers!
Rob
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:56 AM

AzarakMT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

these look great! i was wondering how do you guys attach the trees to the terrain?
Old July 1st, 2016, 10:13 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzarakMT View Post
these look great! i was wondering how do you guys attach the trees to the terrain?
Super glue, or Hot glue works fine. My preference is super glue.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles