Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Temporary "What Board Game are you currently playing?"

As many noticed, the original thread was inadvertantly removed from the forum, but I'm hoping it will soon be returned to its former glory. In the meantime, I thought I'd offer up a temporary thread for those of us that really enjoy posting in the board games thread and just can't wait.

I've been playing solo games recently. I received my Kickstarted copy of Sanitarium and played a solo version of that. It's a card game that uses the cards as a game board and lays down a maze representing the sanitarium. You have to wander through the maze, gathering your "safe things" that will allow you to escape, while avoiding the wandering shadows that are hunting for you. It involves some dice rolling, and you assign action points from those rolls to your character and to the nearby shadows, so you have to make tough choices in how you allocate the points. It was an interesting game, but definitely a filler-type. I do like the decisions you have to struggle with, in terms of using your action points to search or to hide in the rooms to avoid shadows, and so forth.

The whole maze theme led me to play a solo game of Onirim, which is another quirky type of surreal card game involving nightmares and shadows and such (oh my!). Both are interesting diversions if you're looking for a quick play.

I did try out my copy of Thunderstone: Advance, as well, and I enjoyed that. I look forward to the chance to play that again.

I also preordered a copy of Mage Knight a few weeks ago, and I have been assured that my copy will come from this reprint and will be on the way soon. We'll see...

Last edited by akden; May 3rd, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Apparently, I don't spel no good.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Temporary "What Board Game are you currently playing?"

I haven't played any games since Monday, but I did order some stuff for Sergeant's Miniature Game. I've been researching it a lot and finally pulled the trigger. It's expensive as hell, but it just looks so freaking cool

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

How fast did Thunderstone Advance play, Akden? We always thought Thunderstone played slowly because the decks were constantly getting so cluttered with dead things.

Does Advance streamline it a bit?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
How fast did Thunderstone Advance play, Akden? We always thought Thunderstone played slowly because the decks were constantly getting so cluttered with dead things.

Does Advance streamline it a bit?
I have to say that I am so inexperienced at Thunderstone in general that I'm probably not qualified to make a comparison. I've ony played the original a couple of times, and I just did a quick solo runthrough of Advance to get a handle on the rules. I played a solo game in about an hour, but I did spend some time with the rules.

One of the biggest things was that it seems you can get into the dungeon faster in Advance. You also have the option to Prepare as your turn, which means instead of taking a turn, you can put cards from your hand on top of your draw pile in preparation for the next turn (you discard the rest, so this might take care of the whole "I see dead things" problem). Overall, it seems a little more straightforward than the original, but that may be just because the rules are presented more clearly. I did enjoy the solo play, and I'm enamoured of the whole dungeon-themed deck builder idea, so I will do my best to get some decent plays in with this one.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:28 AM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I haven't played any games since Monday, but I did order some stuff for Sergeant's Miniature Game. I've been researching it a lot and finally pulled the trigger. It's expensive as hell, but it just looks so freaking cool
Please let me know what you think of the minatures and the game play as soon as you the Sergeant's Miniature Game. Hope you got a much deserved raise at work You will need it if you get hooked on that game.

I played a pretty cool worker placement game the other night called MIL (1049). It is a medievel type game with some very interesting game mechanics such as having children and the passage of time causing you to die. If you dont have a son by time you die, you lose your lands and castle.

I was also wondering what happened to the "What Board Game are you Currently Playing" forum? Hopefully they will get it back up.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice View Post
Quote:
Please let me know what you think of the minatures and the game play as soon as you the Sergeant's Miniature Game. Hope you got a much deserved raise at work You will need it if you get hooked on that game.

I played a pretty cool worker placement game the other night called MIL (1049). It is a medievel type game with some very interesting game mechanics such as having children and the passage of time causing you to die. If you dont have a son by time you die, you lose your lands and castle.

I was also wondering what happened to the "What Board Game are you Currently Playing" forum? Hopefully they will get it back up.

The "What Board Game are you Currently Playing" thread accidentally got deleted but they are working on restoring it I believe.

I'll let you know Omahavice as soon as I can. Hopefully I'll get to mess with it toward the end of next week or next weekend.

I didn't get a raise But I'm selling a few things from classic scape to help with the initial purchase and then using my saved up board game money to cover the rest. I ordered the base game, the Road to Carenten expansion (that has 20 scenarios and a lot more terrain tiles and other do dads), then I also got one German squad bundle and one American squad bundle.

I basically could have bought 8-15 board games for the cost of this, but I really wanted this game and figured that I have enough board games for now. I have games to play solo, I have 2-player games, I have games the kids like to play and I have games that my game group likes to play. I have already paid for a kickstarter game called Police Precinct that should come in August or so, so that's another one. My game group has like 2,000 games, so there's not much that I could buy that isn't already in the collection and these guys keep buying new ones all the time so while I may not be able to play them "anytime" I want, there is always a great selection to choose from on game nights and we can even make requests. So I figured I'd be the only one to buy Sergeants Miniature Game and that would allow for more chance to play it, especially if it goes over well on our big noon-midnight session on the 26th of this month when I plan on bringing the game for the first time. There are a lot of WWII genre fans in the group, so I expect it to at least draw some interest.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Last night I got to play Roll Through the Ages and Gears of War. We beat China Shop!

Got my amber wizard built and primed

Rohan Leaders from War of the Ring

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Chewer of Cats

Quote:

I didn't get a raise But I'm selling a few things from classic scape to help with the initial purchase and then using my saved up board game money to cover the rest. I ordered the base game, the Road to Carenten expansion (that has 20 scenarios and a lot more terrain tiles and other do dads), then I also got one German squad bundle and one American squad bundle.

I basically could have bought 8-15 board games for the cost of this, but I really wanted this game and figured that I have enough board games for now.
Can you ever really have enough board games?

Seriously, that is quite an investment. I've seen a few blurbs about the game, and I thought it would be fun because my son loves the whole WWII theme, but I'm not prepared to spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks (unless it's Heroscape, and that doesn't count). I'm curious about the game, and I'd like to hear how it goes. Hope it's worth every penny!
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:

I basically could have bought 8-15 board games for the cost of this, but I really wanted this game and figured that I have enough board games for now.
Can you ever really have enough board games?

Seriously, that is quite an investment. I've seen a few blurbs about the game, and I thought it would be fun because my son loves the whole WWII theme, but I'm not prepared to spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks (unless it's Heroscape, and that doesn't count). I'm curious about the game, and I'd like to hear how it goes. Hope it's worth every penny!

Well normally I wouldn't dive into something like that with that kind of investment, but I figured what the heck this time. I'm sure I've put in over $1,000 into scape over the years and then Heroclix for C3G figures for Superheroscape. I guess I figured that scape has run most of it's course for me so it's on to another obsession. Guys in my gaming group aren't into Scape, but they are all or most of them are into WWII games. So I figured I'd invest in something that I feel that will get more use that Scape has been for awhile. Worse comes to worse, I can sell it and it won't be a total loss, just a price experiment Besides, a lot of games add up in cost when you count expansions and whatnot for them.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Got in a couple games of 3-player Dominion and a game of Survive tonight with my daughters. My middle daughter slaughtered us at Survive and I got revenge by dominating both games of Dominion.

It looks like the website has deleted ALL but the most recent of my posts on here and erased lots of my reputation. Is there a major bug going on with the website or have hackers been goofing around on here?

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played a couple of games of Roll through the Ages tonight.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Chewer of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice View Post
It looks like the website has deleted ALL but the most recent of my posts on here and erased lots of my reputation. Is there a major bug going on with the website or have hackers been goofing around on here?
I'm not sure all the details, but it looks like a lot people lost posts and reputation, some definitely more dramatically than others. I gather it was related to an accident rather than hackers, but I haven't been able to find out anymore information.

On another note, I played a solo game of Yggdrasil today. I also see that it is now available as an IOS app, as well.

I also played another game of Last Night on Earth with my son and his friend. It was, yet again, a blast to play. We ran the Escape in the Truck scenario, and they drew both the keys and the gasoline by the second round. It looked like the game wold be over soon, but my zombies swarmed than and forced them to retreat before they could gas up the truck. The game went back and forth and included 5 zombies being stuck in one spot for two turns because of a stupid dog and some crappy dice rolls, followed by 4 zombies being wiped out by a stick of dynamite. I came away with the win by overwhelming the kids while they were trying to fuel the truck again. I gush about it, but we love this game. Just tons of theme and lots of fun stories to tell.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games