Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: 520 Point Competitive Armies

Seeing the new Dragon, Zelrig, I am sort of liking the offensive and complimentary powers of an all Dragon army. I doubt it will be that viable due to not having any fodder but it sure does look interesting.

Nilfhiem 185
Zelrig 185
Mimring 150

The following is Theoryscape:

Majestic Fire special attack will be the bane of all common squads that exist. I suspect Zelrig will nerf rats entirely, cutting their defense and their scatter.

Mimring's Range 8 attack die 4 is right up there with the Q brothers. A bit flimsy but he might not warrant as much attention with the more durable, shorter range brethren of Nilfhiem and Zelrig in the mix.

Nilfhiem, can hold his own with any hero and can tear through squads. Should be a nice closer after the fire dragons.

Having to stay out of a line and out of a cluster should pose some quandaries for your opponent.

I envision being able to lead with Mimring and Zelrig; range 7 and range 8 special attacks should be sufficient to cause havoc, then closing out with Nilf for either his Ice Shard or his brutal 6 normal attack.

I think the offensive firepower of having 3 flying special attacks that can damage multiple units per activation will be a nice counter to the squad heavy armies that dominate the landscape these days. Plus you would never run out of special attacks

I am probably dreaming, but I like the idea.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; June 4th, 2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Inspired by R˙chean's above army...

Zelrig - 185
Nilfheim - 185 (370)
10th Foot x2 - 150 (520)

Man, I wish I could make it to Gencon.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Having to stay out of a line and out of a cluster should pose some quandaries for your opponent.
I would bring that army just to watch my opponent go through the mental exercises!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

The list I posted on page 1 seems nearly obsolete now, or maybe I'm overreacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
The list I posted on page 1 seems nearly obsolete now, or maybe I'm overreacting.
I think you are. Zelrig and the 10th Regiment are powerful units. I expect to see a lot of them at GenCon. I think Zelrig is surprisingly low cost for its attack and defense without considering its special attack; however, I think many of the armies you suggested would be very effective, even against Zelrig.

It seems Zelrig is another addition to the anti-squad movement. I hope that this means we will be seeing fewer squads. The 10th Reg., however, will probably be in large supply.
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I got your favorite member right here

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker

I`m a little surprised no one has pointed out that a squad or two of spiders could seriously mess up a lot of these 4th/Foot/Rat/Stingers x 3 or 4 armies with which everyone is so enamoured. One could argue that Dund would never get close enough to use his gaze and costs too much at 110 to be worth the chance; at 40 per squad with bonding, I think that the spiders might be a bit more effective.

Just a thought.

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh finally
And go Flock yourself.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

I wanted to add this one for the heck of it:

Please don't match me against the 4th Mass
Mimring
Krug
Raelin
Arrow Gruts x 3
Swog Rider x 2

A pretty classic Arrow Grut army. It really makes a nice transition into the 520 point element. Mimring can be pretty a serious threat when combined with Raelin and can create a huge cannon for the Gruts. In addition the breath can help against Deathreavers which would normally halt Krugs advance.

Grenade lobbyist
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM

jacob_j_p is surprisingly tart

R˙chean, I like your army. Easy to play, loads of attack. I'd have probably would have gone with Major Q10 over mimring. You lose a lot of mobility with Q10, but you get more consistant attacks.
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Thanks jacob.

Q10 is a solid choice for the 150 but then I would lose the Dragon theme!

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Messenger has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post
I wanted to add this one for the heck of it:

Please don't match me against the 4th Mass
Mimring
Krug
Raelin
Arrow Gruts x 3
Swog Rider x 2

A pretty classic Arrow Grut army. It really makes a nice transition into the 520 point element. Mimring can be pretty a serious threat when combined with Raelin and can create a huge cannon for the Gruts. In addition the breath can help against Deathreavers which would normally halt Krugs advance.
Actually, when play-testing 4th Mass armies, I find that they have a tough time against this build. If you monitor your positioning you can do quite well. *whispers*...the secret is, don't get greedy and over-extend your troops. Position yourself within range of only one or two Minutemen at a time. Chances are you'll kill them, and force the rest to move to within range, losing their WtF bonus. Repeat.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Messenger has disabled reputation

Okay, so I will not be attending Gencon, but I would like to submit this army, if for no other reason than to get the creative juices flowing.

Deathstalkers x 3
Minions of Utgar x 2

520/24

Why this works. The Deathstalkers are fast (move 7, double-spaced), large/immune to lots of stuff (i.e. Braxas), and have relatively high defense/staying power. That makes them good glyph grabbers who can tie up the enemy, and even kill some of them, while the Minions advance.

The Minions main drawback is their speed, or lack thereof. This is made up for with their flying, and, in this army, by the Deathstalkers' ability to stay engaged/alive.

Weakness: No Range. But the Deathstalkers' movement should make up for this, and the Minions can fly to any spot on the board, eventually.

Other Weakness: 4th Mass (but that's just about every army). Each figure in this army needs to kill two Minutemen to get their points-worth back. Against a Mass swarm that's a tall order. Maybe Raelin can be talked into helping out?

Deathstalkers x 2
Minions of Utgar x 2
Raelin
Marcu (or two ninjas)

~Messenger, imagining an eight-defense Minion swarm. Minions x 4 + Raelin??

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24

Last edited by Messenger; June 11th, 2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: verbage
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Rats would mess that army up too. I don't think I've ever tried playing three squads of Deathstalkers, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up if I did. I do like the one-two punch of fast runners and slow fliers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion