Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Battle at the Border III - Army Discussion

1st Tent. Army

180 Q-9
120 Kaemon
120 Hydra
100 Krav
80 Raelin
80 Deathreavers x 2
30 Eldgrim
10 Isamu
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:53 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Without knowing the details of each scenario (or reading the thread, like I probably should), I'd go for some versatile figures, some filler, and make sure Cyprien was around if there was a treasure hunt.

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 195
Q9 - 375
Raelin - 455
Marro Stingers x4 - 695
Drow Chainfighter - 720
Air Elemental - 750
Marcu - 770
Isamu - 780

Stingers x2/Isamu

Q9/Raelin
Cyp/Sonya/Stingers
Stingers x4/Marcu

Q9/Raelin/Stingers x2/Isamu
Cyprien/Sonya/Stingers x3/Isamu

Q9/Raelin/Stingers x4/Marcu
Cyprien/Sonya/Raelin/Stingers x4

The other fillers can be added if needed for matchups.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

I would definitely include the Airborne Elite. The AE can dominate many different types of scenarios with their amazing drop ability (the retchets can also be very good but are less dominating in a normal game)
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battle at the Boarder III - Army Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
But even if something can't be drafted for one particular scenario you can still play it on all the other scenarios. I wouldn't worry too much about it. There should be around 10-12 scenarios by the time we're done.
I'm worried about it in the other direction---what if there is a scenario for which I can't field most of my units and maybe have to be well under thea allowed total? Unlikely I guess, it just seemed worth clearing up.
Highly unlikely and I think we could make an on the fly decision if that were to happen.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker

I'm a pretty inexperienced player, and this will be my first tournament. I have absolutely no idea how to go about coming up with an army like this, and I don't have anything from D&D or wave 9. Any advice, anyone?

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Fooflesnort View Post
I'm a pretty inexperienced player, and this will be my first tournament. I have absolutely no idea how to go about coming up with an army like this, and I don't have anything from D&D or wave 9. Any advice, anyone?
It might be easier to help you if we had a better idea of what you have.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
It might be easier to help you if we had a better idea of what you have.
My whole collection? Here goes...

RotV
SotM
Wave 1 x1
Wave 2 x1, 2x Drones/Minions
Wave 3 x1, minus Microcorps, and Gorillas/Hounds
Wave 4 x1
Wave 5 x1
Wave 6 x1, 2x Zombies
Wave 7 x1, minus Fiends/Vamps
Wave 8 x1, minus Heroes
Flagbearers
All large expansions/terrain sets x1

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I would try a mix of strong heroes and unique squads. Maybe pick 1 common unit that you like and bring 2-3 squads of them. Really, you should pick units that you are most familiar with and know how to use, so that when the pre-set army has something new to you, it won't be as much to remember during the game.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

How much for your wave 4? No just kidding.

Listen to Bengi, use a good mix of heroes and squads and stick with units you play often to keep things moving smoothly. This isn't really the best example of a normal tournament either, we're trying to push the norm and think outside the box on this one. So in a way you might be on more of an even footing with everyone else than you think.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
I would try a mix of strong heroes and unique squads. Maybe pick 1 common unit that you like and bring 2-3 squads of them. Really, you should pick units that you are most familiar with and know how to use, so that when the pre-set army has something new to you, it won't be as much to remember during the game.
Quote:
How much for your wave 4? No just kidding.

Listen to Bengi, use a good mix of heroes and squads and stick with units you play often to keep things moving smoothly. This isn't really the best example of a normal tournament either, we're trying to push the norm and think outside the box on this one. So in a way you might be on more of an even footing with everyone else than you think.
Sounds great! Thanks!

GENERATION 26:

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
380: TKN, Grubsx3, Marro Warriors, Marcu OR Q9, Warriors of Ashrax2, Raelin, Marcu
450: TKN, Grubsx3, Marro Warriors, Raelin, Isamu OR Q9, Warriors of Ashrax2, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Marcu, Isamu (10 points light)
520: TKN, Grubsx3, Q9, Marcu, Isamu OR TKN, Grubsx3, Raelin, Warriors of Ashrax2, Marcu, Isamu
590: TKN, Grubsx3, Q9, Raelin, Marcu OR TKN, Grubsx3, Raelin, Warriors of Ashrax2, Marro Warriors, Marcu, Isamu (20 points light)
Huh, Tor-Kul-Na....that gives me ideas. I bet I can bring TKN and some grubs...

Even with TKN and 2x grubs, that leaves me 500 points to work with.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:35 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
380: TKN, Grubsx3, Marro Warriors, Marcu OR Q9, Warriors of Ashrax2, Raelin, Marcu
450: TKN, Grubsx3, Marro Warriors, Raelin, Isamu OR Q9, Warriors of Ashrax2, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Marcu, Isamu (10 points light)
520: TKN, Grubsx3, Q9, Marcu, Isamu OR TKN, Grubsx3, Raelin, Warriors of Ashrax2, Marcu, Isamu
590: TKN, Grubsx3, Q9, Raelin, Marcu OR TKN, Grubsx3, Raelin, Warriors of Ashrax2, Marro Warriors, Marcu, Isamu (20 points light)
Huh, Tor-Kul-Na....that gives me ideas. I bet I can bring TKN and some grubs...

Even with TKN and 2x grubs, that leaves me 500 points to work with.
I personally think anything over 150 points is pushing it. Tor-Kul-Na might not actually be a good bet at all. You're running a limited amount of points, and theoretically you want to give yourself the best bang for your buck. I do admit, what I posted needs work and will probably see some changes between now and April 17th, but I think the most expensive unit I run is 140 points.

Now, if you were to say Tul-Bak-Ra, I think that's another story entirely....

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-

Last edited by Mombo101; March 30th, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Apparently my grammar sucks...and to think my degree is in English, go figure.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion