Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Can you have good game play with 6 players?
Yes, it makes a great game! 67 51.54%
Yes, but it's much better to split into multiple groups. 55 42.31%
No, avoid this at all costs! 8 6.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Can you have a good game with 6 players?

Typically, when we get together with multiple people, we never play more than four on one board. Can you have a decent game with six on a board? If so, has anyone tried eight?

Thanks for your help and advice.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker
I'm going to have a 6 player game sometime after the New Year. I let you know then.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker
I played in a game like this - and I much prefer games with 2-3 players max.

Seems to me there's too much idle time in a 6 player game - you make your move, then wait for 5 other people to make theirs. If I did play with 6 players - I'd prefer to do so on a map just big enough to fit us all in.

I'd rather build 3 2-player maps and have a mini-tourney of some sort.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I've played in a 6 player match, and it takes a long time to take turns until people start losing squads. I think 6 people in two teams of 3 would be much more interesting. Then you are focusing on fewer opponents and your objectives are much clearer.

Also, nothing is worse then being the first guy out of a 6 man free for all. They have to wait forever to play again.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
A game of 6 players, free for all, is not fun. Well, it may be if you are the winner, but for the joy of everyone, it's not. It takes longer. It usually ends up with 2 or 3 players gang up on 1 and take him/her out of the game in 25 minutes.
2 sides of 3 players, or 3 sides of 2 players is the way to go. But no matter what you do, make sure the turns for each team interlace. Otherwise, one team may have 3 turns to take down the majority of 1 opponent's army before that player can even move.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Not fun? Herosscape is always fun!

6 player games can and will drag, but they are still fun.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
I don't agree. Too many players and HS can get really, really boring. But that's the case for any game, really.

Avoid large games, your players will only end up being bored, even if they take fast turns.

I'd cap it at 4-players and even then you should probably work out some kind of team format and keep things moving rapidly.

I think that HS is best as a 1v1 game (just my opinion, yours may vary).
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
I agree with most of the people here. I prefer 1v1 or 1v1v1 games with a 400-500 point limit on small maps. 2v2 are good too, but then I'd limit it to maybe 350 per player. I'd much rather get in 2-3 games than 1 big long one.

The odd 1v1 1000 point battle can be fun as well, but that's just to try out some units that don't make sense in smaller games.

If I had 6 people around and wanted to play one game together, I'd bust out Monopoly, Munchkin, Apples to Apples, or Settlers of Catan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM

tvar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I hosted one 6 player game with my friends (3v3) and it was pretty much unanimous that it took too long between turns. Now when I play with my friends, we usually have a mini round-robin 1v1 tournament.
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!
6 players can be fun, but I'd recommend splitting into smaller games. I've had 6-player 500-pt. games that went for 8-9 hours. If you are going with 6 players, you might want to try something like mixing Marvel and Classic (blasphemy!) so that everyone gets 400 pts with at least 1 Marvel hero. It can be a lot of fun and because of the Marvel guys it goes MUCH quicker.
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom
6 players can be fun, but I'd recommend splitting into smaller games. I've had 6-player 500-pt. games that went for 8-9 hours. If you are going with 6 players, you might want to try something like mixing Marvel and Classic (blasphemy!) so that everyone gets 400 pts with at least 1 Marvel hero. It can be a lot of fun and because of the Marvel guys it goes MUCH quicker.
Yeah, it can be fun if your marvel hero is shiny silver and IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL WITH ANY NORMAL HEROSCAPE UNIT!

(just kidding, I had a lot of fun that game)
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom
Yeah, it can be fun if your marvel hero is shiny silver and IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL WITH ANY NORMAL HEROSCAPE UNIT!

(just kidding, I had a lot of fun that game)
Oh, yeah... So that's why I remember that game so fondly...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles