Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Heroscape Dungeons and Dragons!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough. However how is that supposed to be taken. Maybe I'm jaded, but I see that as DnD is what we love and you'll love it too or you'll get nothing.
I could be wrong but this futhers the "myth"?? that Wotc loves DnD and Magic to the expense of all others.
Why are you drawing any conclusion at all is what I am asking? The only thing I see from any of this is that there will be three D&D themed releases next year. Beyond that, is is all a huge unknown.

Your right, it is unknown. However, I'll probably get good odds in vegas that DnD scape is all we'll ever see again though. I'll leave our conversation at that.
I would bet against you on that. But I am of the belief that Heroscape has reached classic status and that it will be recirculated many times throughout our lives.
Re-issues yes, I agree. I'm talking about new "original flavor" scape. Kyries, Marro, Agents, soulborgs, things like that.

As to getting to big box again so FLGS' and big box can share the wealth. Hasbro couldn't get the game into FLGS' because Wal-mart has much more buying power.
The owner of my FLGS, whom I have a good relationship with, told me he couldn't carry scape in the past because Wal-mart sold it much cheaper than he could.
I appluad WoTC's efforts to make this more FLGS friendly. However, I fear that if it goes back to big box en mass again, FLGS' would run into the same problem all over. Why would people buy scape at their FLGS when they can ride to the big box down the street and get it for 3 to 4 bucks cheaper per pack.
Maybe an across the board price for everyone, but volume discounts still exsist and FLGS can't buy as much as big box.
Big box is driving all the little people out in this manner, not just relavant to scape, but to everyone.
So who is to blame for that? I personally do not shop Walmart. I would prefer to pay more at an FLGS.

And no I am not talking about re-issue. Classic status for Heroscape is like Battleship. It is something that can be re-branded and kept going for decades, and that includes classic as well. Why would anybody be preaching the death of a game in a an industry that adores and relies on brand recognition?

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM

F4thor is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Is there any news about any original Heroscape after the D&D expansions?
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Not yet.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4thor View Post
Is there any news about any original Heroscape after the D&D expansions?
*Aldin looks into his crystal ball*

"Cannot predict now"

*Aldin shakes the crystal ball and looks again*

"Reply hazy, try again"

*Aldin throws his "crystal" ball to the floor in disgust*

~Aldin, who really wishes he hadn't traded his crystal ball for a magic 8 ball and a pack of gum

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

I think that the uncertainty is really the source of most people's concerns. We already have word of three D&D sets coming up, but the only Original Scape thing on the horizon is Wave 10, which is more of a special reprint than a proper new wave. If WotC even hinted that there was more Original Scape on the way I would imagine most of this gloom and doom would vanish.

Quote:
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM

F4thor is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Agreed.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Interesting to hear how HS is getting 'classic status' Like battleship and stuff. Mind you, I have no idea how 'Battleship' and some of those games still get produced. I know they update them with electronics and other features, but the game itself is pretty flawed. As a parent I just cant bring myself to buy games like that because I loathe the idea of having to play them with the kids who be asking me to play. I would much rather play a game that has some problem solving invovled instead of pure guess work.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Interesting to hear how HS is getting 'classic status' Like battleship and stuff. Mind you, I have no idea how 'Battleship' and some of those games still get produced. I know they update them with electronics and other features, but the game itself is pretty flawed. As a parent I just cant bring myself to buy games like that because I loathe the idea of having to play them with the kids who be asking me to play. I would much rather play a game that has some problem solving invovled instead of pure guess work.
There's a decent amount of theory needed for Battleships. Suppose we're playing on a 1x4 board with a single boat that covers two squares. What's the best strategy?
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Oliver Upshaw knows what's in an order marker Oliver Upshaw knows what's in an order marker Oliver Upshaw knows what's in an order marker

Alright now we know what is on the schedule in the near future for Heroscape new releases. The question is what are the plans for re-releases of TT, VW, Flagbearers, large figure boxes and older waves. WOTC is trying to get new blood into the game. This new blood is probably not going to be impressed to find out that a lot of the expansions are very hard to come by and currently there is no public statement as to when they will be available again. This is great for the ebay sellers, not so great for the rest of us. You are going to end up with more people trying to get a diminishing amount of product and you will turn some people off once they realize the state of availability of the expansions. The latter could lead to a surge in sales of the Master Set and then a large fall off as new players drop the game when they find out that it is hard to get the expansion they want. WOTC needs to put out a plan that they feel very confident in the ability to stick to on the re-release of the older Heroscape Expansions by at least the time the new Master Set hits the stores. Otherwise the new players are going to end up hitting these boards and find out that there is no answer to that question and wonder if they want to get into something that seems half dead and might not be as non-collectable as they thought it was.

"Ms. Wolversham, you are authorized to return fire!"
David Weber The Short Victorious War
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
There's a decent amount of theory needed for Battleships. Suppose we're playing on a 1x4 board with a single boat that covers two squares. What's the best strategy?
Why, a mixed strategy, of course! (I'm going to stop there before we totally derail the thread.)
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
So who is to blame for that? I personally do not shop Walmart. I would prefer to pay more at an FLGS.

And no I am not talking about re-issue. Classic status for Heroscape is like Battleship. It is something that can be re-branded and kept going for decades, and that includes classic as well. Why would anybody be preaching the death of a game in a an industry that adores and relies on brand recognition?
I'm with you, I support my FLGS whenever I can.

If Heroscape is already afforded "Classic" status, a'la battleship, then why put the DnD label on it?

I happen to like battleship, not as complex as some games, but fun none the less.

72 tournaments. 173 - 142 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Upshaw View Post
Alright now we know what is on the schedule in the near future for Heroscape new releases. The question is what are the plans for re-releases of TT, VW, Flagbearers, large figure boxes and older waves. WOTC is trying to get new blood into the game. This new blood is probably not going to be impressed to find out that a lot of the expansions are very hard to come by and currently there is no public statement as to when they will be available again. This is great for the ebay sellers, not so great for the rest of us. You are going to end up with more people trying to get a diminishing amount of product and you will turn some people off once they realize the state of availability of the expansions. The latter could lead to a surge in sales of the Master Set and then a large fall off as new players drop the game when they find out that it is hard to get the expansion they want. WOTC needs to put out a plan that they feel very confident in the ability to stick to on the re-release of the older Heroscape Expansions by at least the time the new Master Set hits the stores. Otherwise the new players are going to end up hitting these boards and find out that there is no answer to that question and wonder if they want to get into something that seems half dead and might not be as non-collectable as they thought it was.
I am not in the know, but I think that WotC knows that more reprints are only going to help DnD Heroscape get a foothold.

From what I've seen reprints happen as opportunities for them come. I think that Wizards will do reprints as they see the line being profitable.

I'm still going to sit back for now and say that I'm hoping that the Drow will lead us around to the Mariedians and Dreadgulls (or what have you). I'm good giving DnD a chance and seeing if WotC can make HS able to grow through a new avenue of expansion. And will just hope that growth translates back into some classic worlds being reexplored as well.

EDIT: Classic status means this--that Monopoly comes out with new brands attached to it every 3-6 months. Heroscape is going through this now too, it would seem. Waves 1-9 are still absolutely amazing. We'll see what 10+ brings to the game. I really like some rebrandings of classic games (LotR RISK, for example). Sounds like those that know feel the DnD brand is being done well. I like that .
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News