Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old January 29th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker
Krug has some flaws-
1. to have 12 attack, he must have all the stuff you mentioned, along with 1 life left
2. Low Defense. A single squad of imperium can rip through him in one turn
3. He thinks too much about apple sauce.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckels
Well, in keeping with what you're saying, sashiel, I've been considering Krug as a good "Charge the castle gate" guy.

As he gets nearer to the door, he'll probably take ranged hits, boosting his attack - and then he only takes 1 automatic shield from the door because he's Huge. He should have it down in no time.

Does he fit through the door? I haven't tried it yet, but he looks like he does. He looks like the perfect castle-stormer.
Krug theoretically is a great one versus the castle door. The problem is all those goons up top pelting him with ranged attacks. In a best case scenario with Krug you will average about 4 wounds per order marker on the door. (best case meaning you manage to stay at one life and then take no more wounds until the door goes to hell where it belongs). That is still a full round of attacks.

Has anyone destroyed the door under any normal game condition? The only time I've seen it go down I had my opponent completely helpless and hopeless and I took my big hitter to destroy the damn door just so I could say I've done it.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann
Krug theoretically is a great one versus the castle door. The problem is all those goons up top pelting him with ranged attacks. In a best case scenario with Krug you will average about 4 wounds per order marker on the door. (best case meaning you manage to stay at one life and then take no more wounds until the door goes to hell where it belongs). That is still a full round of attacks.

Has anyone destroyed the door under any normal game condition? The only time I've seen it go down I had my opponent completely helpless and hopeless and I took my big hitter to destroy the darn door just so I could say I've done it.
I've taken it down with Jotun protected by Nakitas. Protecting a castle stormer is a pretty good use for Nakita Agents. They can help any size figure, and they can get off a few shots on their way to the gate.

Marvel's super strength is what you really need, though. They can take down the door from a distance or threaten to fly over and muscle in on the control space.
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
Once a player knows how to handle him, he's not that scary. As sashiel mentioned, he's still slow and melee. Spread out ranged squads ruin his day, as do Deathreavers and Warriors of Ashra. The best way to handle him is just to not bother with trying to hurt him until you are in position to kill him quickly, and your expensive heroes are safely tucked away somewhere.
You've hit on Krug's Achilles' Heel there, IMO. The thing is, unless you choose to attack him, the guy only has a double attack of 2. That's not going to put much fear into anyone, so the smart player will wait until they're ready to make a very concentrated attack on Krug (like with four knights and a hero and some extra knights all in position - or with three or four ranged figures spread out and on height). I think people tend to jump the gun or panic and try to take Krug down one wound at a time, which prolongs the amount of time he gets to run around with his attack bonus. But if you play him smart, that high attack window closes fast, and he's just a measely 2 attack guy for the rest of the time, giving you the chance to take out bonding Arrow Gruts or another, more immediate threat instead.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If the enemy goes for the ignore Krug option, you could always interpret it as a turn or two of free disengage. Another countermeasure is to use Krug as the center of an area attack. It's actually not a bad way to threaten multiple rats without letting them scatter.
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann

Has anyone destroyed the door under any normal game condition? The only time I've seen it go down I had my opponent completely helpless and hopeless and I took my big hitter to destroy the darn door just so I could say I've done it.
I've taken it down with Jotun protected by Nakitas. Protecting a castle stormer is a pretty good use for Nakita Agents. They can help any size figure, and they can get off a few shots on their way to the gate.

Marvel's super strength is what you really need, though. They can take down the door from a distance or threaten to fly over and muscle in on the control space.
Drake in either forms is ok, but not the best. I'd agree with you, rdknight, that marvel or nakita huge combo works best, even better than Krug.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
Once a player knows how to handle him, he's not that scary. As sashiel mentioned, he's still slow and melee. Spread out ranged squads ruin his day, as do Deathreavers and Warriors of Ashra. The best way to handle him is just to not bother with trying to hurt him until you are in position to kill him quickly, and your expensive heroes are safely tucked away somewhere.
You've hit on Krug's Achilles' Heel there, IMO. The thing is, unless you choose to attack him, the guy only has a double attack of 2. That's not going to put much fear into anyone, so the smart player will wait until they're ready to make a very concentrated attack on Krug (like with four knights and a hero and some extra knights all in position - or with three or four ranged figures spread out and on height). I think people tend to jump the gun or panic and try to take Krug down one wound at a time, which prolongs the amount of time he gets to run around with his attack bonus. But if you play him smart, that high attack window closes fast, and he's just a measely 2 attack guy for the rest of the time, giving you the chance to take out bonding Arrow Gruts or another, more immediate threat instead.
Exactly. If I'm up against Krug, Mimring and the Arrow Gruts, I'll usually focus first on Mimring (if the opponent sends him out), then the Swogs, then the Gruts. Krug is left for last, and if I have some Rats, I'll just tie up Krug with a couple of them until I'm ready to deal with him.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM

sashiel has disabled reputation
Well, it's difficult to ignore Krug and tie him up with rats, since he can disengage all he wants if you're trying not to put wounds on him early. You need enough rats to completely surround him, or make a big wall.
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Yeah, but your opponent never knows when you're going to start rolling for those disengagement swipes, so you just have to find a way to use that to your advantage.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
Yeah, but your opponent never knows when you're going to start rolling for those disengagement swipes, so you just have to find a way to use that to your advantage.
I'll usually roll for the first couple swipes. You might not even get them, but 1 or 2 wounds usually isn't enough to put him into mack truck mode. Give him 1 or 2 wounds without fear, and then lay into him when it's appropriate.

One thing I will say: Krug with even one extra defense die is extremely scary. With a Gerda Glyph, Thorgrim's spirit, or nearby Raelin, those last 4 wounds can take much, much longer to get than you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:56 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashiel
Well, it's difficult to ignore Krug and tie him up with rats, since he can disengage all he wants if you're trying not to put wounds on him early. You need enough rats to completely surround him, or make a big wall.
Sure he can, but he has to go around my rats now. Being double-spaced with only 5 move, it can be fairly easy at times to severely hinder his movement with a well-placed rat or 2.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles