Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Can you have good game play with 6 players?
Yes, it makes a great game! 67 51.54%
Yes, but it's much better to split into multiple groups. 55 42.31%
No, avoid this at all costs! 8 6.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Reigning NorCal Champ

Alastair MacDirk has disabled reputation
Not a strategy thread. Why is it in this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBladeCB
And I have a man crush on good looking robots.

Old January 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
One time, some friends and I did a 9 player game. We did it just for the sake of doing it. While it was cool to have an entire dorm room floor covered in HS terrain, and a board covered in characters (we did 500 points), it was chaotic, and I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once.
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM

sashiel has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Four players is the most I've had in one Heroscape game, and from the amount of downtime there, I'd say anything more would be seriously redlining the patience of my group. Four players is right on the edge of my tolerance for watching other people make their moves. In a six-player game, it would be possible to have 10 of others' turns go by between two of mine. That's unacceptable.

I brought a Heroscape setup to my church's New Year's game night, and I had the maps broken up into a three-player and two two-players and didn't regret it. For one thing, I don't much care for the "kill the leader" politics of big free-for-all games in general. If I played with four or more now, I would either make it a team game or build a very cramped map with vulnerable starting zones so that everyone is worried about immediate tactical survival under the guns of armies on their left and right.

But more than that, if I had 5-7 players and we all wanted to sit down around one board together, I'd go for Arkham Horror or Shadows over Camelot before looking to Heroscape.
When I get the opportunity to play HeroScape, it's as much of a social gathering as it is a strategy game. The time between my turns is well spent chatting with friends or getting another beer, etc. Thus, games with 5+ players don't become boring when I'm waiting for my turn to come back around.
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Can you have a good game with 6 players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
The game is over as soon as ONE player is eliminated. You get points for your kills and the army you have left alive.
Good system for shortening games, or just to keep everyone in 'til the end!

When I was much younger, I always got creamed early in games like Diplomacy and Risk in the manner of many of the players herein. I anticipated this in Heroscape, but it hasn't played out like that for me. Part of it is in the construction of my armies especially for FFA. And my confidence in their play.

As far as a "good game" is concerned, I suspect that my, and the rest of the Gang of Five's members', enjoyment of our FFAs is due to our mature attitudes towards the game. No long-winded, whiney, stalling, suicidal players among us (or any from that list of bad-news types of players I remember reading about in someone's (can't remember name ) post on the subject. Yes, our games tend to be long, but we're fine with that, scheduling our once-a-month gatherings on Fridays in anticipation of just such an occurrence.

Next Generation

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have done on every year and a half or so. My group would play long campaigns which would culminate in a megabattle which would usually be 4v4. The maps for these can be found in my mega-maps thread. They are a blast but they take literally all day. We did one of these at a local convention and with setup and takedown we were there from convention opening to closing. It was still a great day.
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I played a 6-person game (300 points) for the first time just the other day, and I have to say that it was a blast. I was the second person eliminated, but the playing style we have in my neck of the woods is very casual, and half the fun of the game is the jaw-jacking that goes on, so everyone stayed at the table after they were done playing. The ending was so exciting, even, that as the other games in the room wrapped up everyone at the get-together came and watched instead of starting new games. The last couple rounds came down to just tshill12's Q9 and Jerry22's Charos slugging it out, with the Major eventually coming out on top.

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Many of the posts herein refer, one way or the other, to drafting. Drafting, like FFA, is an idea that I originally shunned, but now embrace (poorly though I have drafted thus far ). See chas' Importance of Drafting thread in Heroscape General Discussion.

Next Generation

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I've played a 6-person game and it was fun! The best way to keep things moving though is if your eating dinner. Then the turns feel like seconds!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:41 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I've played 6-player games before. The board was so big, basically whoever we sat next to was the person we were gonna fight with the whole game. We try to fix this problem by implenting a capture the flag scenario. In the middle of the board is a flag from the castle expansion set, and an artifact of brandar glyph next to it. any person who can be on the flag at the end of the final round is declared the winner regardless of points. This adds an air of strategy into the mix. It makes high defense and/or high mobility figures more valuable. Cyprien really shines in this scenario.
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

When I played a 6-player game, it took quite a while for it to be your turn. It mainly had a lot of waiting. Overall, not so fun.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM

Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker Freezie knows what's in an order marker

CVN had some good ideas about epic HS games here

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me -Psalm 23:4

Last edited by Freezie; September 2nd, 2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: broken link
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Team games open up some interesting synergies. 3v3 can be a blast. The main thing is to keep the number of figures down, so using Marvel is not a bad idea but also not a must. Use mostly heroes and reduce the squads. If you do use squads try limiting it to ones that bond. Also a small simple map helps to speed things up. Adult beverages are the enemy. peace

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles