Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News > Sightings and Sales
Sightings and Sales Forum for posting wave sightings and information about Heroscape sales.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker
Re: Value?

Warmachine and Warhammer are very different games than Heroscape.
Heroscape is playable right out of the box. You can buy a blister pack, open it, and instantly add it to the game. Warmachine and Warhammer require assembly and many hours of painting, before they are ready for use.
The rules are also something entirely different. You will see people checking and rechecking the rulebooks constantly during a game. Powers are not readily available on the units cards and rules are often ambiguous.
Also, with these types of games, rules are updated and changed on a regular basis (or, as they call it, "new edition"). So you have to accept that some of the units you have bought will become obsolete at some point.
I personally played Warhammer Fantasy Battle, years ago. After they changed the rules, I found my High Elf Charioteers were suddenly useless, as they had added a second Elf to the chariot, in the new edition. I could no longer play at tournaments, as I did not have the proper miniatures. And other units, that were previous strong ones, had gotten weaker. Furthermore, powercreep was constantly showing it's ugly face, as new unit list were being published. This made me drop playing the game, as I knew those problems would show up again when the next edition would arrive.
I then bought some Warmachine, when it came out, but when I had finally painted the models, a new edition had arrived and I had to decide whether to buy more stuff, or call it a day and put my models away for storage.
So as you can see, finding another miniature game like Heroscape, is not that easy. If you can live with games that has constant rules changes, rulesets that require constant checking, assembly and painting of miniatures, and models becoming obsolete, go ahead!
From personal experience, I would advice you to keep your Heroscape collection for at least year. If by that time you have not felt like coming back, you could consider selling your collection (or give it away to some younger kids). Take a look at other games, if you like. But be careful what you invest in. Many miniature games are money sinks. If you don't like changes, many other games will have you far more frustrated than Heroscape.

Just my
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

You have some stuff that could fetch a decent amount on ebay, but even in a best case scenario you aren't going to get a lot of Warhammer stuff for what you make. No idea about Warmachine and how much it costs, but I would definitely steer away from Warhammer unless you have tried it already and know that you would like it a lot, and you have other gamers you will be able to play with regularly enough to make it worthwhile. Then there is the issue of painting and assembling. That is a deal breaker for some.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM

VendettaUF Woo who?

Heroscape isn't as cheep as some of you are making it out to be...at least not for those of us getting into it now. Particularly if you are buying multiple commons. Some of you guys get lucky and find stuff on clearence....and thats the only reason its cheap...once you buy 3 commons from each wave....8-12 a pack adds up fast.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendettaUF View Post
Heroscape isn't as cheep as some of you are making it out to be...at least not for those of us getting into it now. Particularly if you are buying multiple commons. Some of you guys get lucky and find stuff on clearence....and thats the only reason its cheap...once you buy 3 commons from each wave....8-12 a pack adds up fast.
Amen to that! But I'd say keep your collection and go with customs. Saves lots of time and money.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
Amen to that! But I'd say keep your collection and go with customs. Saves lots of time and money.
I've been at this for about a year and a half and spent around 1000$ I figure. That might sound crazy but I have gotten every expansion for the game and 2-3 muliples. I have seen the prices for warhammer and I think I could have a fairly tiny army for that (maybe).

As for customs I'm not sure about the cheeper price. Buying figures from other games can be pricy, especially if you want something specific. I went with Confrontation for squads and paided about 12$ for enough figures for 2 squads. My custom set of longbowmen and Purtians x 2, Riflemen and Spearmen x 2, Vipers (5 total) , and Heroes pac likely cost me about 75$ in figures alone, let alone shipping, glue for rebasing, extra figures to get bases from, card printing, and the time to put it all together.

I also created a Transformers expansion which likely cost about 40$ for 6 figures and then there was the rebasing and card printing expense.

All in all, I love my customes, but I can tell you the ~90$ I spend for 2x commons and 1 unique is much cheeper.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM

VendettaUF Woo who?

The Ebay prices just make me cry. I understand its capitalism and all that...but damn if someone is able to 60-80 for a single small pack, you'd think WoTC would see value in reprinting it.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death!

Assuming this is from King of the Marro (dated before the post on Heroscapers):
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tag/1804380509.html
For only 1$!

Last edited by lefton4ya; June 24th, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM

VendettaUF Woo who?

Haha for a minute I thought that was orlando...as we have an orange county....but I think its actually Cal
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death!

If you're not happy with D&D, can I ask why you bought 10 squads of Phantom knights?
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
You might want to take a good look at Warhammer prices before dropping an expensive game like Heroscape in favor of Warhammer. Sure the detail on the minis is impressive, but they are still unpainted, unassembled minis that you are paying master set prices to get a squad.
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
If you're not happy with D&D, can I ask why you bought 10 squads of Phantom knights?
They were my testing pieces, and they passed. So right when I started to ease into D&D they switched the bases, and I happen to like my pieces to look uniform so that really bugged me.

Also thanks to everyone for the advice. My plan for now is to save up some money with a summer job, and then buy two of the Warmachine battle groups to start out with, while continuing with scape. I've really love scape but these SoCal'ers don't get together enough, and Warmachine seems to get more playing time around here, which was another reason they appealed to me (besides being able to paint them whatever colors I wished).

P.S. It was seven squads not ten

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:49 AM

Greenblob51 Woo who?

Yeah, its sad So-Cal scapers dont really do much, I haven't had a single hope of being able to get into a tournament, or competition, or even just group scape day here besides with some buds of mine.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News > Sightings and Sales