Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:47 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Alastair MacDirk

The Book of Alastair MacDirk

Jandar's Oath - Collection 3 - Heroes of Nostralund

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: There is an old Scottish saying: 'The swifter the storm the stronger it is.' When Jandar found Alastair running to the front of the battle lines, he knew this was one of the most adventurous warriors he had ever seen. It is said that Alastair can run all day without tiring; but his wounds on that day were too severe, so Jandar took him to Valhalla. Kelda healed his wounds. Now Alastair and his Claymore fight in Valhalla. As a boy of 12, he fought alongside his father against Edward the II. As a man, he continued to fight for Scottish independence. The clan MacDirk has always had the fiercest soldiers in the highlands of Scotland, and Alastair is one of their finest. (Hasbro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
OVEREXTEND ATTACK
After taking a turn with Alastair MacDirk, you may place a wound marker on Alastair MacDirk and take another turn with him. You may only use this power once during a round.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
- OVEREXTEND ATTACK : Overextending With 1 Life Left
Can you place the 6th wound marker on Alastair & take your last turn according to Overextend Attack?
No, as soon as you placed the 6th wound marker on Alastair he would die and be removed from the game (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
- KNIGHTS OF WESTON / MAC DIRK WARRIORS : Human Champion Bonding
As a Human Champion, Alastair MacDirk may benefit from Knights of Weston and Mac Dirk Warriors HUMAN CHAMPION BONDING activation bonus.
Synergy Benefits Offered
- 4th MASSACHUSETTS LINE : Valiant Army Defense Bonus
Having a Valiant personality, Alastair MacDirk may aid the 4th Massachusetts Line with their VALIANT ARMY DEFENSE BONUS.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Rankings

Jexik: Alastair MacDirk- With uses outside of his clan, Alastair’s extended attack comes in handy often. A-

OEAE: Alastair MacDirk- The best bruiser in the game, 2x5 in one Order Marker is fantastic. Even one squad of Knights of Weston alongside him creates great board control, staying power, and offensive potential. Works well solo or with MacDirks or Knights. Can fall fast if he's alone, but you should have Knights or Raelin with him in just about any situation anyways. A-

Cleon: Tier 8 (27/208)

dok (VC inclusive): A-

Master Index
Drafting Alastair MacDirk without A Squad?
Bonding and Alastair's Overextend Attack

Unit Strategy Review
- TBA

Last edited by superfrog; March 21st, 2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: vc added
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Aranas has disabled reputation
Repeat after me:
"You may only use this power once during a round"

Aranas

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Location: Seeking a local agency for the missing bodies of Jamaica's Royal Family...
Ricky007 has disabled reputation
Here is a useful army using Alistair's power:

Alistair McDirk = 110pts
Sonlen = 160pts
McDirk Warriorsx2 = 160pts
Knights of Weston = 70pts
Total = 500pts

Alistair is great if used right, but can turn nasty, which is why Sonlen is in the army. You can use Kelda, but that could turn even worse.
The Knights of Weston and the McDirks are great use with Alistair, making him have three turns in one go.

This is what I do for a living:
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker
I have to agree that Alastair is awesome. Attack 5 two times in a row at least in the first round! The next round can give you another attack 5 two times in a row! Then move 4 MacDirk warriors with at least attack 3 each during their first turn and at least 4 attack each in the 2nd round (if you still have them all hence the need for two squads at least). The MacDirk warriors go fast, but you could play at least two of those squads and milk Alstair's 6 lives (or better said his first 5). You could also boost the warriors defense and retreat Alastair to a save location even risking a living engagement attack just before he is gone (ie. two lives left). Just make sure that he is not cornered. The possibility of getting up to 7 attack from each warrior can be devastating and they don't even have to be adjacent or within clear sight of Alastair. It's almost like 4 mini Krugs. Alastair is one of the few heroes that will make you smile when he gets wounded early on, but you do want to keep him alive longer when 1 or 2 lives are left in him (even more so than other unique heroes). Afterall, "there can be only one", a direct quote from MacDirk Warriors' card. Or is it Highlander?

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.

Last edited by Hero Hot Hatch; June 1st, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Alastair MacDirk

I pulled an incredible play with him and two squads of his Scots the other day. My Scots and Alastair held a little ridge and were attacked by my opponent's knights of Weston led by Gilbert. With my height advantage and a little luck, my Scots all survived. The next turn I disengaged Alastair with two knights twice, racked up four wounds, and overextended to propel myself back into the safety of my starting zone. Then my Scots used the next two turns to kill all the KoW, Gilbert, Denrick, and Retiarus.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

Thorgrim gets his money's worth when played with Alastair and the Warriors more than in other combinations. The base army for Alastair is:
Alastair 110 +
MacDirk Warriors X 2= 270 +
Thorgrim 350

Then use range fillers for 500 or 600. Maybe 10th X 2 for a round 500.

After Alastair is wounded retreat him, and substitute him with Thorgrim. After Thorgrim dies, place his spirit on Alastair. It will help him last longer. I've done it twice (the core army not with the 10th yet) and wiped out a whole lot of orcs and marros. Of course, you can always substitute Thorgrim and get Raelin instead, but I like that Thorgrim bonds with the Warriors. In other words, you don't have to worry about order markers on Raelin.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.

Last edited by Hero Hot Hatch; June 18th, 2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacleod66 View Post
just got him last week, can't wait to play him, but am looking to get a second squad of macdirk warriors before i do.
He also plays great with the Knights of Weston!

~Aldin, Valiantly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
just got him last week, can't wait to play him, but am looking to get a second squad of macdirk warriors before i do.
I love Alastair, being of the blood. But get a third squad of MacDirks, if you really want to do the Highland Fling.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
I love Alastair, being of the blood. But get a third squad of MacDirks, if you really want to do the Highland Fling.
One solution although it has its obvious negatives is to play a squad of KoWs, while the MacDirks are still weak attack wise. I try to limit my commons to no more than 2 sets, but there is always justification for more sets specially with 4th Mass, etc. With so much diversity available the need for many multiple commons is lesser and lesser. First, it costs more money. Second, there are more choices for more versatile armies now than two years ago. I made one of the few exceptions and bought 3 sets of 10th, but that's it. The other problem with the MacDirks is that if your champion or when your champion goes down (most likely either Alastair or Sir Gilbert), the value of the MacDirks in your army drops by 50%. It's a risky proposition.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
...Huzzah!

EagleOne rolls all skulls baby! EagleOne rolls all skulls baby! EagleOne rolls all skulls baby! EagleOne rolls all skulls baby!

I have the worst luck with this guy...
So far I have played with him twice and made sure I had 2 to 3 squads of MacDirk Warriors to run to the aid of their leader. But both times he has been the victim of an insta-kill.
The first time he fell to the Rechets of Bogdan on their first shot...
... and down he went. Leaving the MacDirks alone.

The second time I send him out with some KoW to slow the advance of Krug and his arrow gruts. He nearly has Krug killed (6 wounds on 2 attacks). Only to have Grimnak run up and roll a 20 to chomp him. Again leaving the MacDirks to scratch themselves while they get clobbered.

Hopefully my luck will change, or my drafting Alastair will have to end.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

EagleOne, most of us who love and play Alastair don't send him out front at all. Maybe that would help. It certainly would keep him from getting killed instantly.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
Rev, you're probably right. I'm still getting the feel for a lot of the characters because I've only played about 7 or 8 games against other people.
Playing is the key, EagleOne. Keep at it.

I spent my college years going from Richmond (home) to Bristol (school). When things got boring, we'd jump in the car and drive north to Roanoke, because, in those days, the bus depot had the best pinball machines in SW Virginia. So, I have a fondness for your locale.
I would agree with Rev. If you use that team again, I'd recommend extending with Alastair (just to get a wound or three--but leaving him out of harm's way) and then sending in the MacDirks, perhaps with Thorgrim bonding along the way to boost their defense. If (when?) they eventually fall, you will have a pretty hefty attack in Alastair to clean up any mess still left on the board.

Also: what pinball machines were they, out of curiosity?

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units