Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Zelrig 185
Sgt Drake (RotV) 295
3x Axegrinders 505

+Axegrinders/Marcu 595
+Krav/Isamu 615
+Krav/Guilty 635

I wanted to try something different. Zelrig to start, dwarves to continue, Drake to end. Perhaps it's not top tier but it could be a nice anti-meta build.
Different is good!

The non-different tendency would be to sub in the Krav for Drake, but if you can test it and make it work with Drake, I really like it.
There's always Migol Ironwill....

Just because he's in the army doesn't mean you have to bond with him. On his own, I think he's just as solid as Drake RotV (maybe more), and against melee armies you can bond with him to really bring the pain. I just see no reason not to include him instead...

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Champion of Champions

ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker

I'm really leaning toward Steamroller right now. I need to practice and playtest but I like the day 2 adds for a shield or symbol.

Base army of course:
Spartacus
Crixus
Gladiators x3
(10 short)
+90 - Gladiators/Guilty
+110 - Gladiators/Marro Warriors
+130 - Gladiatorsx2

It does feel a bit risky, but if I can figure out a few tricks to some of the bad matchups I'd love to play this army.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManTrainChooChoo View Post
I'm really leaning toward Steamroller right now. I need to practice and playtest but I like the day 2 adds for a shield or symbol.
It'd be really cool to see someone go far with the Gladiators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

Base army of course:
Spartacus
Crixus
Gladiators x3
(10 short)
+90 - Gladiators/Guilty
+130 - Gladiatorsx2

It does feel a bit risky, but if I can figure out a few tricks to some of the bad matchups I'd love to play this army.
Very fun army. I think it's really strong on day 2, so if you can get some favorable matchups on Day 1, or learn to deal with some of the unfavorable ones, I'd love to see it. Unlikely though it is, 5 sets of gladiators would be just sick on day 2.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Fen Hydra x2 - 240
Kelda - 320
Raelin - 400
Brunak - 510, 8 hexes

600 - Deathreavers x2 + Isamu, 17
620 - ??? Airborne Elite, Krav + Isamu, some 110 Point hero that likes Kelda?
640 - Fen Hydra + Isamu

or if you aren't afraid of Rats...

Fen Hydra x2 - 240
Kelda - 320
Raelin - 400
Krav - 500, 9 hexes

600 - Deathreavers x2 + Marcu...?
620 - Fen Hydra or Deathreavers x3
640 - Fen Hydra + Marcu, Deathreavers x3 + Marcu, Phantom Knights x2

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Fen Hydra x2 - 240
Kelda - 320
Raelin - 400
Brunak - 510, 8 hexes

600 - Deathreavers x2 + Isamu, 17
620 - ??? Airborne Elite, Krav + Isamu, some 110 Point hero that likes Kelda?
640 - Fen Hydra + Isamu
I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you're worried about rats, would Sharwin be a better choice than Brunak? Brunak does save an OM on Raelin, but I wonder if Sharwin could do enough damage to make it worth it. And with 5 defense, any army without special attacks is going to have a fun time dealing with arcane riposte.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I'd definitely vote for Brunak between those two. My criteria for an army that's a good candidate for Brunak is:
  1. An army that either has high-life heroes that must be on the front line, or figures with a defense of 2 or lower.
  2. An army that needs to move to deal with threats and will have difficulty taking advantage of Raelin without repositioning her.
  3. An army that will have a lot of trouble with rats and lacks a special attack to deal with them.
Lawnmower hits all three criteria.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:

Base army of course:
Spartacus
Crixus
Gladiators x3
(10 short)
+90 - Gladiators/Guilty
+130 - Gladiatorsx2

If you like steamroller, Roman Legionnaires+Morgrim Forgehammer give the same effect of one need of order markers and initiative with the x on Morgrim Forgehammer. Some other Warlords will be effective as well.

x4 Roman Legionnaires 200
Morgrim Forgehammer 120
Marcus Decimus Gallus 100
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Air elemental 30
Total: 500 Hexes: 21

How do you like it, MainTrainChooChoo?

The only difference is less attack/defense, but more figs in a squad.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1red2blue4 View Post
Morgrim Forgehammer 120
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Air elemental 30
Raelin - 80
Total: 500 Hexes: 19
Fixed.

600 - Romans + MBS, 25 (sit a Roman) or NGS + Isamu, 21
620 - Kaemon Awa, 20 or Valguard + Isamu, 21, or AE + Isamu, 24
640 - NGS + Romans, 24

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm not sure if I'm going to GenCon yet, but I went to a tournament in Michigan yesterday with this army and came in last place. Partly due to just being a bad army, partly due to bad dice rolling, and partly due to stupid errors. I still had fun though.

Gorillinators x3 270
Nakita Agents 120
Skahen 120
Total 510

Skull - Gorillinators/Raelin + Otonashi
Shield - Laglor/Gorillinators + Filler/Raelin + Filler
Blank - Laglor + Filler/Gorillinators + Filler/Raelin + Filler

Or would it be better to take Laglor day 1?

Gorillinators x3 270
Nakita Agents 120
Laglor 110
Total 500

Skull - Gorillinators + Otonashi/Raelin + Filler
Shield - Skahen
Blank - Skahen/Filler

Thanks for any advice.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Champion of Champions

ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1red2blue4 View Post

If you like steamroller, Roman Legionnaires+Morgrim Forgehammer give the same effect of one need of order markers and initiative with the x on Morgrim Forgehammer. Some other Warlords will be effective as well.

Morgrim Forgehammer 120
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Air elemental 30
Total: 500 Hexes: 21

How do you like it, MainTrainChooChoo?

The only difference is less attack/defense, but more figs in a squad.
I'm not a fan of the Romans for kind of a strange reason. I think they're too cheap for 500+ point armies. Your start zone can feel cluttered and you lose out on the boosted stats of both Heavy Gruts and Knights. Also Marcus doesn't compare to Grimnak or Gilbert. He mainly serves the purpose of make the romans mimic the stronger bonding squads. Though, I do agree with killercactus on playing Raelin... it's not an army I'd see myself fielding.

The main reason I want to play Steamroller is due to the brute strength of the figures you're taking a turn with. Four Attack is when you go from standard attacks to scary attacks. And when you're attacking with 3 attacks of 4 and 1 at 6.... well that just seems fun.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Hydra x2
AE
Raelin
Rats x2

+90 - Rats/MW
+110 - I would probably go Krav/filler
+130 - 3rd Hydra /filler

Edit, for another:

Hydra
Othkurik
AE
Rats x3

+110 - Krav
+130 - Hydra/filler
+150 - Krav/MW
(plenty of other options)

Last edited by Cleon; April 12th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion