Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!
MarvelScape House Rule - "Down But Not Out"

In a case of form following function, we came up with a new MarvelScape House Rule the other day and I wanted to see if anyone has done something similar.

My 6 year-old had Spidey and due to a couple of bad rolls, was taken out pretty early in the game.

In an effort to preserve his delicate HS ego, I explained that just like the movies and comics, even though Spidey was down, he wasn't out. In an inexplicable demonstration of sheer will power he picked himself back up, brushed himself off, and got back in the fight!

Game-wise, I let him come back in at half his normal life.

So, the thus formulated House Rule reads:

Quote:
"Down But Not Out"
If a figure is reduced to zero life, they may not act on the next turn. However on the following turn or any turn thereafter, they may remove half (rounded down) of the wound markers on their card and rejoin the game. This may be done only once per game.
Anyone done anything similar? Thoughts on how this affects the game? Advice on how to handle this with Thanos?

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
Have yet to try this but I think it would help spice up the low figure battles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. Markers
When a figure has wounds equal to its life rating, it is not destroyed. When a figure with wounds equal to its life rating would receive a wound, instead of placing a wound on that figure’s card, place a KO Marker on its card. KO Markers are also placed for any excess wounds from an attack that would have destroyed a figure.

A figure with 1 or more KO Markers on its card may not use any of its special abilities. Figures move 1 less space and roll 1 less attack and defense die for each KO Marker on its card.

When a figure has 5 KO Markers on its card, it is destroyed. (This may be adjusted to more or less markers, depending on the players.)
At the end of each round, remove 1 KO Marker from each army card.

After revealing an Order Marker on an army card, instead of taking a turn with that figure, you may remove 2 KO Markers from that card.

Healing powers work as normal and may not be used to remove KO Markers.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Interesting ideas. I really like the face paced, quick nature of Marvel games, though.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM

that guy has disabled reputation
Sounds great for playing against kids. I couldn't see using elsewhere though.
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
I'd use it when playing with my kids, or situations where the scenario is crafted around a single hero backed by a squad (if you're mixing genres).

Not one step backwards!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!
Just adding to the idea pool:

Recovery would be a great stat to borrow from a game like Champions to apply to Mavelscape...Something like Strength + Life divided by 5 = your hero's Recovery. So you would have to place a turn marker on your knocked-out hero for him to use his Recovery until he reaches positive one or two life points...

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man

Recovery would be a great stat to borrow from a game like Champions to apply to Mavelscape...Something like Strength + Life divided by 5 = your hero's Recovery. So you would have to place a turn marker on your knocked-out hero for him to use his Recovery until he reaches positive one or two life points...
Not bad...i played Champions back in the day but had forgotten about Recovery. The only thing there, and I agree with NecroBlade on this one, you want the game to end at some point.

"Down But Not Out" gives you a one time recovery shot.

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfSauron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man

Not bad...i played Champions back in the day but had forgotten about Recovery. The only thing there, and I agree with NecroBlade on this one, you want the game to end at some point.

Specific scenarios or a simple round limit could make it work. Characters that are KO'd when the round limit is up are officially KO'd. If none are KO'd, winners can be determined by wound markers. Sort of like boxing. It would be good too if you don't want your kids "killing" characters.

Another KO idea with boxing in mind is to do a "down for the count" roll. After a figure is "destroyed" make a KO roll by rolling a number of attack dice equal to wounds received in the attack. If at least 1 skull is rolled, roll again. Continue making KO rolls until you have rolled 10 times or no skull is rolled. If a skull is rolled for each of the 10 KO rolls, the figure is KO'd and removed from play. If there are no skulls rolled in a single KO roll, the figure is not KO'd (destroyed) and remains in play with 1 life remaining.

To add to the boxing feel, after each round, you can remove 1 wound marker from each card.

These rules may work well for a 1 figure vs 1 figure 12 round match. TKO's could be added also. Go down 2 times in a round and you are out.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Give your kid a Revive card (token, button, penny, whatever) and tell him that he can discard it to "wake up" one knocked out character before placing order markers for the next round.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfSauron

Yeah true it would extend the game...I remember many a Champions combat that would last for hours because you couldn't quite KO enough of the villians (or heroes) at the same time to mop-up the rest!

Another idea for Recovery...Roll one die for each point of the figure's starting Life points. Every shield rolled = one point recovered (when you use a turn marker for a Recovery turn as mentioned in my first post.)

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion