Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Teal'c has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
There are a lot of inside jokes and much familiarity here that happens in any group dynamic over the course of any long period of time. Cav is an excellent member of good standing and has contributed so much to our community. His "persona" as a noob hater is an old and ongoing joke. There in lies one of the problems. When we know somebody is being silly, others might not.
Understood, and I agree. However, being a newbie, I had no idea that Cavalier was being "silly" in that thread. If he was, he certainly didn't come across as such, and he really should have made it clearer (or not post at all).

Quote:
I admonished Bloody, because I don't want 50 folks acting like Cavalier clones.
Agreed.

Quote:
Cavalier is adult enough to know when he has stepped over certain boundaries and the existence of this thread is proof that we are not wanting to give an unfriendly vibe here.
Is he? His posts on that thread speak otherwise. I certainly think he did give an unfriendly vibe in that instance. If that wasn't his intention, then he should have made it more clear.

I don't want to start a finger-pointing argument about who is right/wrong, but I'm just trying to help everyone understand my viewpoint as a newer member of this forum. I agree that it's quite annoying to have newbies ask the same stupid questions all the time, but that doesn't mean we have the right (or obligation) to rip on them for it. Don't post anything, or try to be polite when directing them to the rulebook. Nothing that hasn't been said already.

I like to think that posting here is like email: if you aren't crystal clear in what you are writing, people will inevitably misunderstand/misconstrue what you are trying to say. It's easier to be clear and concise, instead of having to explain later what you actually meant.

"In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!!!
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
AgentX, that was the best use of smileys I've ever seen.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
We've made it clear that we want niceness to rule. We also just assume that folks all have bumped into a grump or two in their lives and know how to let it roll. You don't see folks on Sesame street busting Oscar's chops for being the resident grouch. The fact that he is rooted to that trash can proves that he is a local fixture. I see it like that. We got a wide variety of people here, and tolerance is expected all around. I want noobs to be happy but I am not looking to sprinkle egg shells all over the floor either. Just be cool everyone!! This isn't a situation where we need to hash out the extremes.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
We've made it clear that we want niceness to rule. We also just assume that folks all have bumped into a grump or two in their lives and know how to let it roll. You don't see folks on Sesame street busting Oscar's chops for being the resident grouch. The fact that he is rooted to that trash can proves that he is a local fixture. I see it like that. We got a wide variety of people here, and tolerance is expected all around. I want noobs to be happy but I am not looking to sprinkle egg shells all over the floor either. Just be cool everyone!! This isn't a situation where we need to hash out the extremes.
So I'm the local Oscar the Grouch???!?!

I can live with that :P
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:

Just remember who's the law:

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Roger. Wilco!
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM

hex706f726368 has disabled reputation
Quote:

It at least explains the garbage smell. :P
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hex706f726368
Quote:

It at least explains the garbage smell. :P
ooo...that was low...
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM

S.Gecko Woo who?
What I've concluded -- sadly, in my mind -- in the time I've been a member here is that nobody should ask a question about a rules clarification or share an idea without being concerned that it will get flamed or called out. In fact, I generally don't post a question until I've run 15+ searches and re-read the rulesbook about 20 times. It's a really uncomfortable feeling, to be honest.

In fact, that seems to be a trait of most forums, and my suspicion is that it's a product of the medium more than the people.

That said, however, GB's point is a good one. If Heroscapers.com wants to be more than just a message board, if it wants to be a community, then a conscious effort has to be made to come across as more friendly/tolerant/etc. than all of the other boards that display the same treatment of "newbs". If not, we're all going to lurk more than not and that's no way to build a community.
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzikthedoor
So should I bite my tounge when a member who will remain unnamed puts up his 12th poll about how many DW9Ks are the best to have in a single 1000 point army or can I still make snide comments once he (the offending spaz unable to differentiate between the "c" and the "k" in the word "cool") has been told--politely, of course--by others that he needs to get back on the sugar pills (Ritalin, that is) and stop cluttering the boards with mindless, repetative tripe?
I guess the answer to that is yes, bite your tongue, because we all know that the alternative isn't teaching him anything, so snide comments serve no purpose except as a release for the frustrated. Don't get me wrong, I hate those threads too, but I think the harm caused by slapping them down outweighs the good done by the act of slapping.

Quote:
We've made it clear that we want niceness to rule. We also just assume that folks all have bumped into a grump or two in their lives and know how to let it roll. You don't see folks on Sesame street busting Oscar's chops for being the resident grouch. The fact that he is rooted to that trash can proves that he is a local fixture. I see it like that.
I see what you're saying, but doesn't that lead to a slippery slope? Why is one member allowed to be an exception to your rule?
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Elmo had the gun...
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Marduk has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Gecko
In fact, I generally don't post a question until I've run 15+ searches and re-read the rulesbook about 20 times. It's a really uncomfortable feeling, to be honest.
While it is a bit extreme to do it that much, running a search and double-checking the rules before posting a question is a good habit. I do it myself; as a result almost all of my questions have been about interpreting the wording.

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's