Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

View Poll Results: Which map is the BEST?!
Primaerskog 3 9.68%
The Sinking Runnel 1 3.23%
Marro Thaw 1 3.23%
Wo-Sa-Ga's Quarry 2 6.45%
Mountain Pass 3 9.68%
April 1 3.23%
Halcyon 9 29.03%
Volcarren Paradise 4 12.90%
Jungle Fire 0 0%
Savage Corridor 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 9th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Map Building Contest: TOP 10 Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

I voted for Volcarren Paradise, because it not only looks really good, it also looks like it would play pretty well.
Thanks! I haven't worked so hard on a map in a while. I love the aethesics of the SotM / VW / TJ combination and had to apply it to the wilds theme. However, the terrain requirements are also the biggest limitation of the map. I wish I had a few more tiles to work with, but it was also an interesting restriction. I used just about every tile available to me to build the map, and entirely redid the bottom level to use terrain more efficiently. I think the only tiles I didn't use were the marro hive, a palm tree, and a couple molten lava and swamp water tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post

Volcarren Paradise is a good-looking map from Robber. I like the use of jungle to help the melee units overcome the absence of LOS-blockers. Is it enough? I'm not sure. The non-lava height hexes on the edges look dominant.
I do wish I had some LoS blockers to work with, but I believe that the jungle and the flat nature of the map keep range in check enough for the map to be balanced.

I put a lot of design and consideration into ensuring that there are upsides and downsides to each of the major areas of the map.

- The water in the center is lower than the surrounding terrain, but figures on them can receive a ranged defense bonuses of +1 or even +2 from the jungle depending on which water tile they are standing on. In addition, the custom map rule involving the water is very powerful (to the point that I want to nerf it) and is a good incentive for each player to battle for control of the center. (The map is also pretty balanced for tournament play without the custom rule or glyphs but of course I enjoy it more with the custom rule)

- The level 2 lava is well covered by the jungle. I placed it in such a way that it is quick to navigate to the different areas of the map without height slowing down movement. The level 3 lava is even more desirable terrain, especially since level 3 is the highest level on the map and some of the tiles are adjacent to jungle bushes. However, players are inclined to move to move their safer ground after turn 3 and a lot of choke points free up at the end of the round.

- The lv 2 sand in the center is 'safe' terrain, and can attack down on the central water. However, all of these tiles are adjacent to a lv 3 lava tile

- The sand on each of the sides is also a refuge from the lava. The lv 3 sand 3-hexers to each side are the only non-lava lv 3 terrain, so they're very attractive. However, they're not overpowered. The fact that 3 other lv 3 lava hexes are adjacent to them weakens this area slightly, because figures on the lv 3 sand can't get height advantage on as many nearby spaces. In addition, the tiles are located to the far edges of the map, so ranged figures only can target a limited part of the map (as opposed to a figure on the lv 3 lava near the center, who has many more options). If you are playing with the custom rule, figures actually gravitate towards the center of the map because of how powerful the water is! Even though the lv 3 sand is desirable, I haven't found these tiles to be overpowered with or without the custom rule.
Old February 9th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
- The water in the center is lower than the surrounding terrain, but figures on them can receive a ranged defense bonuses of +1 or even +2 from the jungle depending on which water tile they are standing on.
Quick note here: figures only ever get +1 defense from jungle, even if they're adjacent to more than one jungle piece.

More on topic - I do like your map, Robber. I've got it set up right now and it looks and plays great, and is likely going to be one of my favorite go-to maps. My only qualm with it is that there is no room for the Marro Hive in the start zone. Personally, though, I'm okay with just throwing an extra hex on somewhere if I were to run it at a tourney, but I know that's an issue for some people.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; February 9th, 2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: That said, I haven't voted yet. There are a couple others I'm interested in setting up and seeing how they play as well.
Old February 9th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
- The water in the center is lower than the surrounding terrain, but figures on them can receive a ranged defense bonuses of +1 or even +2 from the jungle depending on which water tile they are standing on.
Quick note here: figures only ever get +1 defense from jungle, even if they're adjacent to more than one jungle piece.

More on topic - I do like your map, Robber. I've got it set up right now and it looks and plays great, and is likely going to be one of my favorite go-to maps. My only qualm with it is that there is no room for the Marro Hive in the start zone. Personally, though, I'm okay with just throwing an extra hex on somewhere if I were to run it at a tourney, but I know that's an issue for some people.

Whoops, I even looked it up in the rulebook to double check and then read it wrong.

Quote:
EXAMPLE 9: Defending Adjacent to Multiple
Jungle Pieces Sonlen is attacking the Marro Stinger, which
is adjacent to two Jungle Pieces and has Height Advantage. The
Marro Stinger rolls 2 additional defense dice: one for the Height
Advantage and one for being adjacent to multiple Jungle Pieces.
I stopped reading it at the 'rolls 2 additional defense dice' part.

I also didn't realize the version I submitted for the contest doesn't accomodate the hive. It used to in previous versions, and I reworked the starting zones to free up tiles. If I edit the map in the future I'll make sure to build that back in.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Just a few days left to vote! It's a close one so lets get those last votes in!!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:47 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Sir Heroscape , It looks like I can build:
-April
-The sinking Runnel
-Volcarren Paradise

For the Tournament. One other thing, which one of these beauties are we going to play our 1V1 on tonight?
Seeming how it will not be a 3 free for all I figured we would play on one of these.

Great job on all these maps guys, It looks like we got a few more votes in. I can't wait to play on all these.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 12th, 2017, 01:58 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

We got in a lot of very fun games yesterday on these maps. Great job on these guys. I think I may wait to give my feedback until after the contest is over, because, what we might say could sway votes on some of the maps that were not quite as balanced.

Old February 13th, 2017, 12:56 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My favorite part of that tournament was when @TREX got destroyed by a 12 year old! Hahah, oh wait...what was that, you said I should close my mouth because I didn't win a single game.....OK.
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:24 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
My favorite part of that tournament was when @TREX got destroyed by a 12 year old! Hahah, oh wait...what was that, you said I should close my mouth because I didn't win a single game.....OK.
I only got beat by the 12 year old after getting beat by your wife.......

Old February 13th, 2017, 09:59 AM
"like" happy

And I didnt get beat. I got annihilated.

Old February 13th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

At the second tournament we ever went to, my son beat @drewcula . Immediately after the game, drewcula started fiddling with his phone. "Hold on," he said, "I have to text my girlfriend that I just got beaten by a 12-year-old." Quoth KS, "I'm eleven."

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 13th, 2017, 10:59 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
And I didnt get beat. I got annihilated.
So...ditto here haha. This "neighbor kid" (Trex and I call him) that @Tiranx brought annihilated me as well. I only scored 40pts on him (killing 2 greenscales), and TREX was fortunate enough to only kill 80pts (4greenscales) when playing him. We both had a good laugh talking about both of our bizarre games against that kid. He used Braxas and literally ran her out on her own (no greenscales in her wake), into my startzone. Of course I considered this a bold move and rather in my favor...except for the fact that I couldn't put wounds on her and she melted me in my own startzone, squaddies AND heroes alike.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 13th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Just 10 Hours left to vote. It's a close one, so lets make every vote count!

Also, apologies to @BiggaBullfrog (April) , @legoboy (Marro Thaw) , @Simval (The Sinking Runnel) , and @Robber (Volcarren Paradise) ...your maps were not used in our tournament this weekend. Due to an oversight of necessary terrain requirements, unexpected traffic delays and late cancelations we were only able to make 6 of the 10 maps to run in the tournament. Rest assured we will give particular playtesting attention to your maps as they did not have the opportunity to be run in a tournament setting.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games