Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Fascinating - I'd never heard of most of those.

Welcome to the boards, Bardolph!

On behalf of our Aldin schooling and history correcting community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, sending an arrow into the sun

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker
Well known cavalry with scabbards, but no sword:

Templar Knights.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM

Bardolph has disabled reputation
Hi Aldin, thanks for taking my post in stride and not banning me outright!

I happen to know more about horse archer armies than I would care to from playing DBA and other sets of ancients rules with a friend of mine who is something of a Mongol etc. fanatic.
And in a battle across time that would fit right in the Heroscape millieu I can state that it is no fun running Vikings against Mongols!
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
So Bardolph, for my own personal enlightenment, can you point me to any resources on battles in which mounted archers were prominently featured? I've loved the idea of mounted archers ever since I played "Gondor" ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Lord-of-the-Ring...QQcmdZViewItem ), but I've never read an account of them as a genuinely effective military force. Small skirmishes at best.

~Aldin, who always appreciates correction... once he gets over the massive embarrassment anyway

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
Who said that Grimnak knew how to use the bow? He could of grabbed it off a dead Roman Archer.....

Funny, I think tha bow was first noted back in 2005, hehehehe.....

-Ski
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Bardolph has disabled reputation
Effective military force? The Mongols conquered the largest empire in the history of man, followed a very distant second by the Soviets. Alexander and Nappy are WAAAY down the list.

The reason you haven't read much about them in battles is because if a horse archer finds himself in a pitched battle he has made a serious error.

Horse archer based armies defeated their enemies by wearing them down with constant skirmishing and sniping. They simply rode away from enemy foot troops and enemy cavalry was to be lured away from its support and defeated in detail. That said, here are a few wiki links about some of the major battles fought by horse archer based armies...

I apologise for the lack of better sources, but these are faster than me going searching through my library and typing stuff in lol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hattin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carrhae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Kalka_River

and one where they lost...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arsuf

Here is an excellent book on the Mongols btw, well worth a read...
http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Horseme.../dp/0785815678

Hope that helps. And I apologize again for derailing the post.
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Re: Why isn't Grimnak ranged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle92
A couple night's ago, while looking at Grimnak's sculpt I noticed that he has a bow and a quiver of arrows. Shouldn't he have some sort of range? Why did they give him a bow otherwise?
In addition to the bow and arrows, he also has:
- A sword sheathed on the Tyrannosaur's saddle
- An extremely large spear in his left hand
- A spear/battle axe in his right hand
- What appears to be a bag of goodies attached to the other side of the saddle
- Oh...and he's riding on a dinosaur with big teeth
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hey Aldin, www.tinyurl.com, gotta love it!
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Anthony has disabled reputation

Well, with a spear in one hand and a halberd in the other, how would he use any of his other equipment? He doesn't have anywhere to put his two biggest weapons and needs both hands to carry them!

THIS IS AN AWSOME SIGNITURE
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Anthony has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat
Quote:
A couple night's ago, while looking at Grimnak's sculpt I noticed that he has a bow and a quiver of arrows. Shouldn't he have some sort of range? Why did they give him a bow otherwise?
In addition to the bow and arrows, he also has:
- A sword sheathed on the Tyrannosaur's saddle
- An extremely large spear in his left hand
- A spear/battle axe in his right hand
- What appears to be a bag of goodies attached to the other side of the saddle
- Oh...and he's riding on a dinosaur with big teeth
I feel sorry for the dinosaur now.

THIS IS AN AWSOME SIGNITURE
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM

oracle92 knows what's in an order marker oracle92 knows what's in an order marker
why would he carry a bow and quiver if he didn't know to use it/couldn't use it?

The dice help those who help themselves.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
why would he carry a bow and quiver if he didn't know to use it/couldn't use it?
Why do I carry a cell phone with 80+features?

~Aldin, not so technosavvy

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion