Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old March 8th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Better and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I'd lean towards a Marvel/DC/etc symbol there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRaidor View Post
As for the 'general' symbol on supers, I agree it would be best to avoid 'team' or 'faction' icons, in favor of a simple license nod. Marvel/DC/DarkHorse/etc. symbol would be grand, methinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
As for the Dr Doom symbol and Amazo symbol. I'd probably go with Marvel, DC, and such for icons in that place. I once thought about doing team symbols (X-Men, Avengers, Justice League) but it got to complicated with the different characters at different times being parts of multiple teams. Plus anytime something changes in the future I'd have to update. So I dropped it and instead have a few sheets printed in my card binder for thematic team rosters.
Bummer. I thought (aside from the fact that the Amaz-o symbol is Lame-o) that you would like the symbols. There's so much neat iconography in superheroes. I bet many of you could guess at least a few of the characters these symbols are meant to represent (all Marvel):

Answers in spoiler:
Spoiler Alert!

If we do put comic book company logos up there, instead of character symbols, we'll have to deal with the fact that they're not of an even width and that space is sort of designed for a roughly squarish thing there. DC is fine, Marvel not so much unless we use the older "Marvel Comics" logo. I guess I could put them in the hex. (?)

Do you guys actually do anything with Marvel vs DC, etc in Heroscape? That's a real question--maybe it matters to some of you, and I just don't know that. I get that a symbol representing the superhero wouldn't be something you would do anything with either (except perhaps putting it on tokens associated with the card), but at least is is meant to be representative of the thing the card is about. And, by and large, they're already designed for us.

I agree that team affiliation would be a mistake--there's too much moving around.

-----

Coin vs. text as discussed by @dok , @Dad_Scaper : I will see if I can come up with some alternate coin symbol as suggested, dok--I really will--but for now I think it is a no-go, at least there (I did try the cutting-it-off suggestion too, btw). I will give it another go to the left or right of hitzone, though as both you and Dad_Scaper suggested.

One thought that perhaps you'd be interested in is putting LIFE to the left of MOVE and then putting POINTS where LIFE is. The coin would fit up there very well, I think.

@LordRaidor brought up the visibility of the text recently and expressed approval of that last draft, as did others, so I think we've got the text-only option nailed (bold and with a "P" instead of the word points).

-----

It looks like the tide has turned and heart wins the day for life representation. Nobody spoke against it and most picked it as their favorite.

-----

Sounds like keeping personality as a separate item is what's going to happen based on no advocates stepping forward on the other option. Both options are currently tie in my book.

-----

I will keep the smaller icon variant in the mix based on the latest feedback. I agree with dok the the actual transition shape to the bump could be improved and his suggestion for it sounds good. These card prototypes are done in Word so I don't think that shape will be an option, but the final templates that come from this process will be SVG files (and perhaps InDesign files) openable in a variety of programs. SVG can certainly handle the more elaborate shape. I've got it on a list of final tweaks should we go the smaller icon route in the end.

-----

Yeah, the weird stuff at the end of that last post was...weird. I didn't know if it would spark any new thoughts in your collective brains though.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have for symbols and such.
On it's way...

EDIT: This post was composed over a period of time and I didn't see the last two three posts in the thread made in the past hour. I didn't ignore them; I just didn't see them until now.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:22 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

Been following this thread for a while. Just like to comment on the supers stuff that when playing comic heroes, I tend to do all-Marvel or all-DC armies. Making that distinction prominent on the card would be helpful for that sort of thing (although alternatively, keeping that symbol off the card might help me break that sort-of-bad habit).
Old March 8th, 2017, 06:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Do you guys actually do anything with Marvel vs DC, etc in Heroscape? That's a real question--maybe it matters to some of you, and I just don't know that. I get that a symbol representing the superhero wouldn't be something you would do anything with either (except perhaps putting it on tokens associated with the card), but at least is is meant to be representative of the thing the card is about. And, by and large, they're already designed for us.
We did run one online event where armies were restricted by comic universe, kind of like general wars. That said, they have zero in-game mechanical effect.

Quote:
One thought that perhaps you'd be interested in is putting LIFE to the left of MOVE and then putting POINTS where LIFE is. The coin would fit up there very well, I think.
Definitely interested to see that, yes (along with options that put the coin on the bottom bar). I think it makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
@LordRaidor brought up the visibility of the text recently and expressed approval of that last draft, as did others, so I think we've got the text-only option nailed (bold and with a "P" instead of the word points).
Agreed - not totally sold on the location right above the hitzones, though.
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:50 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Bummer. I thought (aside from the fact that the Amaz-o symbol is Lame-o) that you would like the symbols. There's so much neat iconography in superheroes. I bet many of you could guess at least a few of the characters these symbols are meant to represent (all Marvel):

Are those from DiceMasters? If so there would be DC versions as well.

I like the icons but it may be difficult for some of the more obscure ones. Also there are about 60 or so non Marvel/DC C3G figures that may be harder to iconize.

Quote:
No powers use the Marvel/DC designation. Though it would have made some things easier.

Using them on the markers wouldn't always work either since some figures use the same markers.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations