Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old June 27th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I'd like to point out that the only one of those who has a shield is the one who is only to an extent a defender. My point is, some people seem a little too fixated on the appearance of the figure when Heroscape is littered with figures who's power and or purpose won't match too closely with the figure's appearance. It's a little dull to me to pigeon hole a character or reject an ability because it doesn't meet an eye test the creators obviously didn't restrict themselves to. (Race and faction likely being an exception)

I don't think I have a problem with this character fitting a defender role but it's an eye-roll for me that the main reason appears to be it's carrying a shield and not because we decided it should be or it happened organically.
I believe that the stronger reason for making him a defender actually comes from looking at the set as a whole. We want to give a wide variety of playstyles for people to play with, given that this is meant to be a Master Set on the level of Rise of the Valkyrie.

Looking at other figures and the general directions that have been proposed, we've seen a good number of offensive oriented characters already (Chandra with a Special Attack, Cyberpunk Jace with self-wounding to boost his attack and conditional mind control, the Eldrazi Ruiner with pulling in nearby figures to attack them all, etc.). On top of this, there are a good number of remaining figures that may fulfill similar roles, and have less of an immediate case for being defenders than Gideon does, given his "good guy" color scheme, pose, and shield.

We certainly could make something else a defender rather than him to fulfill that archetype, but I find it worth mentioning to ensure that all pod members are aware that it is a role to fill, and to offer another design direction to consider in contrast to Chandra, the Firecats, and Ob Nixilus. The details of such a design or whether to take that direction at all is up to this pod, although I do think that the case for making him a defender extends beyond him simply holding a shield.
Old June 27th, 2019, 04:56 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For what it’s worth, we haven’t decided unilaterally that this unit will be a defender yet. It’s simply that most of the suggestions so far have leaned in that direction. For my part, I decided to take inspiration from MtG Gideon in coming up with initial design ideas, and Combat Challenge seemed like the perfect fit. Combat Challenge as a power does not make this unit a defender 100%, particularly if we go with a power that strengthens him when he receives wounds instead of the movement-restricting direction. Alternatively, he doesn’t have to have Combat Challenge at all.

I largely agree with your point that looking at this miniature and going “well, he has a shield and a whip, let’s give him a shield power and a whip power” tends to be a fairly uninspired school of design. That isn’t the angle I’ve been approaching this from, however.

I do feel like we have a decent enough pool of ideas here that we can make a full design out of it. What are people’s favorites so far? I’m pretty happy with my suggestion still, but I’m curious if anyone wants to pull in a different direction.
Old June 28th, 2019, 12:03 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I have another defender roll type power.
Battle valor: When [Gideon] defends, he receives one extra defense die for each wound marker he has.

Long live heroscape
Old June 28th, 2019, 01:11 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think a Jandar gladiator would be a great mechanical and theme quirk.

I also like him as a defender or tanky role.
Old June 28th, 2019, 09:08 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart
Thumbs up Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I think a Jandar gladiator would be a great mechanical and theme quirk.

I also like him as a defender or tanky role.
Maybe also a Psionic Jandar Gladiator
Old July 2nd, 2019, 02:38 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think narrowing down this unit's thematic angle will help to nail down our choice of powers. To me, this unit's armor and equipment look too fancy for a gladiator, at least put next to the ones we have from official 'scape. I could see him as a elite Greek hoplite or something though, which makes sense as I think Gideon's home plane is greek-themed. The whip won't fit in naturally unless we give this guy a D&D-based theme, but it could also be explained by being a piece of equipment given to him by an Archkyrie after his summoning to Valhalla.

I prefer a Greek or historical bent myself, as that will generally be hard to come by in this set and I think it works for the unit, and I haven't seen any particularly compelling power ideas for a more high fantasy direction. Additionally, if we're using the Tether power I suggested, then that's about as complex as the card can get--we can't put a second complicated power along with one that already has that much text. Combat Challenge or Bat's suggestion of Battle Valor would both fit the bill there, although I would prefer to pick one or the other instead of both.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
I think narrowing down this unit's thematic angle will help to nail down our choice of powers. To me, this unit's armor and equipment look too fancy for a gladiator, at least put next to the ones we have from official 'scape. I could see him as a elite Greek hoplite or something though, which makes sense as I think Gideon's home plane is greek-themed. The whip won't fit in naturally unless we give this guy a D&D-based theme, but it could also be explained by being a piece of equipment given to him by an Archkyrie after his summoning to Valhalla.

I prefer a Greek or historical bent myself, as that will generally be hard to come by in this set and I think it works for the unit, and I haven't seen any particularly compelling power ideas for a more high fantasy direction. Additionally, if we're using the Tether power I suggested, then that's about as complex as the card can get--we can't put a second complicated power along with one that already has that much text. Combat Challenge or Bat's suggestion of Battle Valor would both fit the bill there, although I would prefer to pick one or the other instead of both.
Agree with all this.
Old July 4th, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:

What kind of Greek hero, surviving spartan from Thermopylae? To use a whip rather than spear, the whip would have to be something really special to eschew chosen weapon ... Of the top of my head I cannot think of any heros that use whips except fictional characters from the 80s (Indy, Tigera etc) or Gladiators, Slavers, cowboys.
Old July 4th, 2019, 08:49 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeraistlin View Post
Quote:

What kind of Greek hero, surviving spartan from Thermopylae? To use a whip rather than spear, the whip would have to be something really special to eschew chosen weapon ... Of the top of my head I cannot think of any heros that use whips except fictional characters from the 80s (Indy, Tigera etc) or Gladiators, Slavers, cowboys.
As a back story the whip could be a gift when he was in Valhalla

Long live heroscape
Old July 4th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
Quote:
Quote:

As a back story the whip could be a gift when he was in Valhalla
Utgar brought the spartan to Valhalla before he died, he wouldnt fight for them, treated harshly like a slave ( whipped) forced to fight as a gladiator in the pits Jandar frees him , he takes slavemasters whip as symbol and Jandar buffs it for use in battle against utgar and all his enemies.
Old July 5th, 2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Utgar brought the spartan to Valhalla before he died, he wouldnt fight for them, treated harshly like a slave ( whipped) forced to fight as a gladiator in the pits Jandar frees him , he takes slavemasters whip as symbol and Jandar buffs it for use in battle against utgar and all his enemies.
I actually like that quite a bit. I'd prefer the Whip to be symbolic rather than literal but that's maybe the most hair-splitting critique I could possibly offer for what is otherwise a very good thematic direction. I can brainstorm/lift wholesale plenty of names for that as well when we get to that point.

For getting something up in the OP here, I feel we want something like

(Figure name)
Jandar
Human
Unique Hero
Warrior
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 6
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Power 1:
Tether of Logos

When an opponent’s small or medium figure moves onto a space within 2 clear sight spaces of (figure name) that is no more than (X) levels above his height or (X) levels below his base for the first time in a turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an (X) or higher, that figure’s movement ends and you may immediately place them on any (same-level?) space adjacent to (figure name). If that figure is engaged before it is moved by Tether of Logos, it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Power 2:
Combat Challenge
(possible fixed text)
Figures engaged with (figure name) may only attack figures with the Combat Challenge special power.

OR

Wounded Valor
(Battle Valor is already taken by Capt. John Varan.)
Add 1 to (figure name's) defense value for each wound marker on this army card.

I'm fine with either direction. Combat Challenge could be seen as somewhat superfluous. I think it could also be interesting to give this figure some variant of Wounded Smash as was brought up earlier as I think a Defender that absorbs damage in order to transition into something of a shark could be pretty cool. Any of these options are something we could return to if the unit just feels fundamentally flawed in testing.
Old July 5th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

6 Life/4 Defense is quite beefy, but fine for a pure defender. If we go with an attack power (which I'm against at this point) we should lower one or the other.

Love Tether of Logos. Should also add that the figure ends its movement.

Combat Challenge is the better fit. First, his defensive prowess can (and is!) covered by stats. With Tether as the main focus, increasing defense as he takes damage is only cute; it does nothing to change how the unit is played with or against. Combat Challenge, however does, in a good way. That makes it ok for him to stay close to units he wants to protect without worrying about positioning enemy figures or them rotating around him to get to other targets.

Note, though, that the design already outclasses Tandros, whose only advantages are a weak range attack and a Life point.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs