Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old June 25th, 2019, 02:09 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
Isn't pulling in figures too similar to the powers that have been given to Eldrazi.
This is a very good point. Although the design isn’t 100% there yet, some version of Gravity Pull is a concensus with the group.

Could One Shield Defense + Reach work here? This gives him a defender role along with a way to use the whip in battle. Theoretically he could just have straight 2 or 3 range instead of reach as well.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 25th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Could One Shield Defense + Reach work here? This gives him a defender role along with a way to use the whip in battle. Theoretically he could just have straight 2 or 3 range instead of reach as well.
Reach is a poor fit for a defender. If his role is to lock down figures, what good does Reach do?

2/3 Range is problematic. There are no height restrictions on range, so he could attack something on top of a cliff if he could see it.
Old June 25th, 2019, 02:33 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the idea of Combat Challenge with a passive movement interruption power. Something like

Tether of Logos
When an opponent’s small or medium figure moves onto a space within 2 clear sight spaces of (figure name) that is no more than (X) levels above his height or (X) levels below his base for the first time in a turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an (X) or higher, that figure’s movement ends and you may immediately place them on any (same-level?) space adjacent to (figure name). If that figure is engaged before it is moved by Tether of Logos, it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Combat Challenge (possible fixed text)
Figures engaged with (figure name) may only attack figures with the Combat Challenge special power.
Old June 25th, 2019, 04:24 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Good piont @The Long eared bat . @All Your Pie Tether of Logos is a little better than the chain grab power. Also means if you move adjacent to a figure it is almost like cyberclaw. I'd keep the D20 low like 11 or 13.
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:18 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
I like the idea of Combat Challenge with a passive movement interruption power. Something like

Tether of Logos
When an opponent’s small or medium figure moves onto a space within 2 clear sight spaces of (figure name) that is no more than (X) levels above his height or (X) levels below his base for the first time in a turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an (X) or higher, that figure’s movement ends and you may immediately place them on any (same-level?) space adjacent to (figure name). If that figure is engaged before it is moved by Tether of Logos, it will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Combat Challenge (possible fixed text)
Figures engaged with (figure name) may only attack figures with the Combat Challenge special power.
Maybe this guy thematically is some kind being with psionics... his weaons, shields are physical manifestations of his mind.

In addition to logos grab:

Maybe cheerleader or psychout aura of range 2 which affects allies/enemies attack by 1

Gideon has range 2 normal attack

When killed, presence of psionic psychout lowers attack of any unit within LOS permanently like the Vikings heros from RotV

Immune to mind shackle
Old June 25th, 2019, 09:55 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

FYI, there was some discussion of him being sci-fi due to the transparent nature of the whip.

And a spitball for consideration (since stronger-when-wounded was mentioned*):

VENGEVINE** LASH 13
Instead of attacking, roll the d20 once for each wound marker on this card. For each 13 [or whatever number] or higher you roll, choose an adjacent enemy figure to receive 1 wound.

*Could be as simple as Krug's Wounded Smash, too.
**Act now and we'll throw in a FREE MtG reference!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 26th, 2019, 05:31 AM

GreatPlainsKnight knows what's in an order marker GreatPlainsKnight knows what's in an order marker

I think it would be interesting if he had an ability similar to Opportunity Strike 15 that would allow him to wound the attacking figure and cancel their attack. It would be as if he was stunning his enemy with his whip, kind of like a defensive Whip 12 from James Murphy.
Old June 26th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeraistlin View Post
Maybe this guy thematically is some kind being with psionics... his weaons, shields are physical manifestations of his mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
FYI, there was some discussion of him being sci-fi due to the transparent nature of the whip.
That works for the whip, but the full plate armor is strongly fantasy. Psionic makes some sense, but only for that whip. That shield looks pretty real.

Quote:
Maybe cheerleader or psychout aura of range 2 which affects allies/enemies attack by 1
I'm against putting in a cheerleading power if our design is looking to fill a defender role, though an aura that reduces attack of enemies fits the role decently.

Quote:
And a spitball for consideration (since stronger-when-wounded was mentioned*):

VENGEVINE** LASH 13
Instead of attacking, roll the d20 once for each wound marker on this card. For each 13 [or whatever number] or higher you roll, choose an adjacent enemy figure to receive 1 wound.
Quote:

*Could be as simple as Krug's Wounded Smash, too.
**Act now and we'll throw in a FREE MtG reference!

It's neat, but again, if we're going with a defender role, this isn't helping with that. Though there's nothing inherently wrong with giving a defender some combat usefulness.

Quote:
When killed, presence of psionic psychout lowers attack of any unit within LOS permanently like the Vikings heros from RotV
Rules-wise, at best we could mark all Uniques within LOS with a marker. The simpler and less insanely powerful version would be to put him on an enemy's card and only affect that card.

Quote:
Immune to mind shackle
I've never been a fan of anti-take over control abilities, mainly because abilities that take control of units are very rare. Which means the power would mostly just take up space and add mostly meaningless complexity to the unit.
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:19 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

What does defender role mean? What would this role do?
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:09 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
What does defender role mean? What would this role do?
A Defender is a unit with either big defense, a defensive power, or a ton of life with the main task of engaging other figures. They’re similar to a Screen, except that they commonly want to engage rather than offer the threat of engagement. If they have nothing good to engage, they also make phenomenal glyph holders.

Examples include Ne Gok Sa, Major X17, Tandros Kreel, and Crixus (to an extent).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

Thanks for the explanation.

I'd like to point out that the only one of those who has a shield is the one who is only to an extent a defender. My point is, some people seem a little too fixated on the appearance of the figure when Heroscape is littered with figures who's power and or purpose won't match too closely with the figure's appearance. It's a little dull to me to pigeon hole a character or reject an ability because it doesn't meet an eye test the creators obviously didn't restrict themselves to. (Race and faction likely being an exception)

I don't think I have a problem with this character fitting a defender role but it's an eye-roll for me that the main reason appears to be it's carrying a shield and not because we decided it should be or it happened organically.
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
I'd like to point out that the only one of those who has a shield is the one who is only to an extent a defender. My point is, some people seem a little too fixated on the appearance of the figure when Heroscape is littered with figures who's power and or purpose won't match too closely with the figure's appearance. It's a little dull to me to pigeon hole a character or reject an ability because it doesn't meet an eye test the creators obviously didn't restrict themselves to. (Race and faction likely being an exception)

I don't think I have a problem with this character fitting a defender role but it's an eye-roll for me that the main reason appears to be it's carrying a shield and not because we decided it should be or it happened organically.
I agree on not pigeonholing.

But as an experienced customer creator and reviewer, and as I have written repeatedly my Codex articles, knowing a unit's role is the most important aspect of its creation. If you don't know what it is you're trying to make, the result is often a lackluster hodgepodge.

The early ideas seemed to pin a defender on this guy, and I suspect the whole project is lacking in that role due to a lack of commons. If we wanted to go another route, I'd be happy to listen to ideas.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs