Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old July 17th, 2019, 11:21 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Ob Nixilis, Demon of Spite) - Design

Looking at the C3V squad with its sacrificial bonding I'm OK with keeping as Demon. To correlate, Taelord has quasi-bonding with Minions and although that is a decent army (in high point games) more people use Taelord without the Minions. However, if not than Hybrid or some other one is fine too.

I think for the spirit we should have a simple -1A or -1D (We all agreed this set should have as many simple powers as we can). However although I would prefer the Aura to be simple as well (maybe negative Attack on opponent where there is Left-box stat restrictions, like a reverse of Ana Karithon's Protection from Evil Aura), I'd be Ok with a receiving wounds on some kind of whiff.
Old July 17th, 2019, 04:55 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Looking at the C3V squad with its sacrificial bonding I'm OK with keeping as Demon. To correlate, Taelord has quasi-bonding with Minions and although that is a decent army (in high point games) more people use Taelord without the Minions. However, if not than Hybrid or some other one is fine too.

I think for the spirit we should have a simple -1A or -1D (We all agreed this set should have as many simple powers as we can). However although I would prefer the Aura to be simple as well (maybe negative Attack on opponent where there is Left-box stat restrictions, like a reverse of Ana Karithon's Protection from Evil Aura), I'd be Ok with a receiving wounds on some kind of whiff.
To differentiate from the viking heros from RotV I really like what was put forward from Scytale:

Soul Decay Spirit
When <unit> is destroyed, you may place it on any Unique Hero Army Card. After any player takes a turn with that unit, that player must roll the 20-sided die. If they roll a 7 or less, that Hero receives a wound.
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:58 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I am with Fakeraistlin on this.

Long live heroscape
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:07 AM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I don't agree but see where you are all going and don't want to be too dissenting with @The Long eared bat , @Fakeraistlin , & @Scytale . We can try testing with the suggested Soul Decay Spirit.

Let me give a wording to the Aura I would like, but if you all disagree and agree on another I'd be OK with too. Just remember I am thinking of this unit in light of all the other units in the set in keeping the set simple:
Quote:
Aura of Frailty
All opponent’s figures within 4 clear sight spaces of (figure name) subtract 1 from their attack die when rolling attack dice against [a figure you control / a figure who follows Valkrill or Utgar].
The option of "figure you control" is a standard power, but maybe "a figure who follows Valkrill or Utgar" is more thematic, works in team games, forces you to have some army synergy, and makes it less powerful as you can't use this aura to protect Raelin, Finn/Thorgrim, and some other cheerleaders. Also note that since this power or even the suggested Soul Decay Aura (unlike Raelin) works on figured attacking [ON] maybe he should have 2 defense 5 life OR 3 defense 4 life.

Either way I like the theme coming along of he is frail but makes others frail. Sidenote that may cause too much theological debate, but that is literally what demons do! Demons who are angry cause others to be angry, demons who lust cause others to lust, demons who are fearful cause others to be fearful, etc. PM me or take discussion to another thread if you want Biblical or anecdotal proof of this.

Last edited by lefton4ya; July 18th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'm not a fan of reducing attack. It slows the game down and worse, makes it unfun for the opponent. In a range 4 aura? No way, certainly not unbounded.
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

Soul Decay Spirit seems cool.

I don't think I've seen a living aura idea I like much. I can't think of a simple range hate aura (what I'd really like to do with the aura) either.

Last edited by Jaur0n; July 18th, 2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: missing words
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:53 PM

OHH - @Jaur0n not sure if it was a typo but you gave a great idea -what if the Aura reduced RANGE instead of ATTACK?
Quote:
Aura of Frailty
All opponent’s figures with a range of 4 or more that are within [4/5/6] clear sight spaces of (figure name) subtract 2 from their RANGE when rolling attack dice against [a figure you control / a figure who follows Valkrill or Utgar].
Doesn't affect special attacks so their are ways around it, and not quite as good as being on the Thorian glyph, but can protect a lot of your units from ranged attack, and would especially help melee units to be able to get to attack first, and adds some strategic placement requirements. I think this aura is more powerful it the aura was 5 or 6 spaces, but might have to playtest to see the right aura range.
Old July 18th, 2019, 03:02 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
OHH - @Jaur0n not sure if it was a typo but you gave a great idea -what if the Aura reduced RANGE instead of ATTACK?
Interesting, though difficult to use. This fellow would have to be way out in front to make a difference, and he would be the target of the attacks then. It would work as a unique defender unit.
Old July 18th, 2019, 03:30 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

@lefton4ya - I like the concept. What if we take it even further, and say all units within X of him have a range of 1 (or leave it -2 but make it all units, including your own). Then consider giving this unit stealth dodge or something to make it hard to range this unit down to Scytale's point? I don't know if adding something like stealth dodge leaves no room for the death ability (which I don't want to lose).

Basically this dude can make all range's life difficult, even your own if you don't place him well.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:53 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't know if I'm completely sold, but it can easily work thematically. Something like...

Veil of Darkness
(Opponent's) figures within 4 clear sight spaces of (figure name) may not make normal attacks against non-adjacent figures.

My main concern is that, in certain matchups, this will remove the tension of the aura/spirit combination. Melee armies would have no reason to attack him. However, I do think this aura would work well for a Demon/Darklord design. Less so for a Hybrid, where the lack of bonding would make the aura very tough to use.

I like Soul Decay Spirit well enough. How necessary do we feel the Unique Hero restriction is? If we wanted, we could allow him to go on any army card and use wording similar to Wannok, where the card's controller must choose a figure from that army card to receive a wound.
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:30 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
I don't know if I'm completely sold, but it can easily work thematically. Something like...

I like Soul Decay Spirit well enough. How necessary do we feel the Unique Hero restriction is? If we wanted, we could allow him to go on any army card and use wording similar to Wannok, where the card's controller must choose a figure from that army card to receive a wound.
Curse the squad? Not too overpowered? The curse could occur after they act:

Soul Decay Spirit
When <unit> is destroyed, you may place it on any Army Card. After taking turn with units from that army card that player must roll the 20-sided die. If they roll a 7 or less, all units part of that army card receive a wound.
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:37 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Oh no, definitely not all units. I'm thinking something more like:

Soul Decay Spirit
When (figure name) is destroyed, you may place this figure on any army card. (before or after) any player takes a turn with that army card, they must roll the 20-sided die. If they roll a 7 or lower, they must choose a figure from that army card to receive a wound.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs