Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old June 23rd, 2018, 08:55 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Flash_19's Maps & Scenarios: Two New Maps! 6/23/18

Love the look of all these maps. In particular, I enjoy your three player map. A lot of three player maps I've seen tend to be designed with a giant hill in the middle, so it's refreshing to see one that breaks that mold a bit.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it seems like a lot of your maps are fairly set intensive. There's nothing wrong with your maps as is, and they seem like they would play great. For me personally, I enjoy the challenge sometimes of being limited to only 2 or 3 sets. In a similar vein, I think that efficiency is also important. If you're going to use a lot of sets, you should be able to get your "money's" worth. For example, I noticed that on Drudgery you only used 12 out of 18 possible palms/bushes. I bet you could get a very similar effect with 1 set, since so many pieces are going unused. Just something to think about.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 10:58 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Love the look of all these maps. In particular, I enjoy your three player map. A lot of three player maps I've seen tend to be designed with a giant hill in the middle, so it's refreshing to see one that breaks that mold a bit.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it seems like a lot of your maps are fairly set intensive. There's nothing wrong with your maps as is, and they seem like they would play great. For me personally, I enjoy the challenge sometimes of being limited to only 2 or 3 sets. In a similar vein, I think that efficiency is also important. If you're going to use a lot of sets, you should be able to get your "money's" worth. For example, I noticed that on Drudgery you only used 12 out of 18 possible palms/bushes. I bet you could get a very similar effect with 1 set, since so many pieces are going unused. Just something to think about.
I appreciate the reminder, so thanks for sharing good feedback. It's always great to know what people are thinking when they look at my maps. So again, thank you.

When I build maps, I find myself wondering if I should build maps exactly how I want to and just go to town, or if I should try and be as minimalist and efficient as possible for the sake of those who are interested in them. I try to find a balance between the two, but often I do lean towards making them how I want to - like with Drudgery. I really like all the palm trees.

I've made a handful of less intensive maps that are still in the works. As you suggested, I often find those ones take a little more effort to get right because of the limitations. I'll get a few of them up soon. And a couple of those are ARV tournament maps that are still being developed (and those maps are limited to 3 sets).

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old June 25th, 2018, 12:50 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

[You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Flash_19 again.]

The Walls at Kallingway

Again I feel compelled to laud your maps' elegance. The Walls at Kallingway will surely hit our table at my next Hosting, unless you come up with another, even more appealing map in the meantime.

Old June 25th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Again I feel compelled to laud your maps' elegance. The Walls at Kallingway will surely hit our table at my next Hosting...

Thank you so much! That's awesome you plan on using that map - I'd love to hear any feedback you have after playing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
... unless you come up with another, even more appealing map in the meantime.

Ha ha I'll be posting another couple here soon, so I guess we'll have to see if one of them catches your eye.

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old July 4th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Re: Flash_19's Maps & Scenarios: New Map 7/4/18!

Here's my latest! Hopefully people like that I also made some formatting changes to the first post with all my maps. I decided after looking at some other map threads that I liked being able to see the picture without clicking on the spoiler buttons.

Morag: Updated 7/11/18
Requires 1x RotV, 1 VW, 1 TJ

Last edited by Flash_19; July 11th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old July 4th, 2018, 12:59 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Great maps Flash. Its too bad you couldnt make it to that last monthly. I brought two WoSaGas for the prize table, and all because you wanted me to bring them.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 4th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Great maps Flash. Its too bad you couldnt make it to that last monthly. I brought two WoSaGas for the prize table, and all because you wanted me to bring them.
Thanks man! I know, I was really sad I wasn't able to come - that was really kind of you to spend so much time on those and offer them as prizes. I was so excited to have a shot at winning one, but at the end of the day, family comes first. But hey, at least my cousin, @antmarchingroves , took home one of them, so maybe he'll let me play with him a time or two. He sent me pictures of it, and I was very impressed - you did an amazing job painting it!

Old July 4th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

This latest map looks great! And it’s lava too, so maybe @BiggaBullfrog could scout it out for the July tourney?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
This latest map looks great! And it’s lava too, so maybe @BiggaBullfrog could scout it out for the July tourney?
Thanks my friend! And I'd be cool with that - its sweet seeing a map you designed on the table.

Old July 4th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I agree that it's a cool-looking map. I'm trying out maps in preparation for the Monthly right now, so I'll add it to my list for sure! At first look it does look a tad range-friendly right now, though -- there's a lot of protected non-lava high ground that figures can camp on and snipe glyphs -- but there are a lot of balancing factors you've put into it so I'll give it a spin and let you know!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old July 5th, 2018, 01:12 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Love the new map! The aesthetics seem pretty good, though VS pics never do the jungle justice. I agree with Bigga about the range-friendliness. The ruins do a great job of blocking line of sight in the middle, but it seems like if you can get past the ruins then you can just shoot down into the start zone. Perhaps the jungle mitigates that a bit. Also, props for handling the ruin asymmetry in a clever, careful way. That's always hard to navigate!

By the way, I love the shape of your map! It looks slightly familiar!
Old July 5th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I agree that it's a cool-looking map. I'm trying out maps in preparation for the Monthly right now, so I'll add it to my list for sure! At first look it does look a tad range-friendly right now, though -- there's a lot of protected non-lava high ground that figures can camp on and snipe glyphs -- but there are a lot of balancing factors you've put into it so I'll give it a spin and let you know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Love the new map! The aesthetics seem pretty good, though VS pics never do the jungle justice. I agree with Bigga about the range-friendliness. The ruins do a great job of blocking line of sight in the middle, but it seems like if you can get past the ruins then you can just shoot down into the start zone. Perhaps the jungle mitigates that a bit. Also, props for handling the ruin asymmetry in a clever, careful way. That's always hard to navigate!

By the way, I love the shape of your map! It looks slightly familiar!
First off, thanks so much for feedback. I love it when people tell me their thoughts on my maps. Secondly, I agree with you guys totally. This map definitely leans towards range - I was hoping the jungle and the placement of the jungle would help mitigate that a bit. I actually had another version of the map that had a majority of lava field tiles on that second to highest level. I’m actually curious what you guys would think of that one since having more lava field tiles on that level could help prevent camping up there - I’ll try and get it posted later today if I can to see what you think. I had shied away from it because I like lava to be more spread out. There might be a happy compromise though.

And yes @rednax , I’ve always loved the shape of your maps. . I love maps with clear distinct start zones, and having the back three rows with no odd gaps or anything is awesome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios