Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 4th, 2019, 07:52 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
The biggest problem with Vaarks lately has been availability. Are these minis widely available?
Yes you're right. They can be tough to find. They do have some on Amazon and a few other places. I bought mine on ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/Confrontation.../dp/B001JJDRBK

If the powers on the card are sound, I can always look for alternative figures.
Old November 4th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamyon View Post
Unlikely, I fear. Not just anything looks like Vaarks.

A Unique Vaark squad without the signature Wolf Pack just seems wrong. And likely wouldn't make it through review.

Execute the Defeated is really stretching the rules, enough so that we can probably bust holes in it. It's more-or-less adding an extra move and attack phase per figure, which is messy rules-wise. It would be more sound to change it so that if any Deathfang got a kill, then all can move and attack again, though I don't know how well that works rules-wise either. Either way it would have to go through careful Editing scrutiny.
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:09 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

A Unique Vaark squad without the signature Wolf Pack just seems wrong. And likely wouldn't make it through review.

Execute the Defeated is really stretching the rules, enough so that we can probably bust holes in it. It's more-or-less adding an extra move and attack phase per figure, which is messy rules-wise. It would be more sound to change it so that if any Deathfang got a kill, then all can move and attack again, though I don't know how well that works rules-wise either. Either way it would have to go through careful Editing scrutiny.
True. They are readily available as unpainted minis although I know that's sometimes a hard sale.

Thanks for the feedback.

I went back and forth on Wolf Pack. The precedent for not having it was based on the Blade Dancers but then again, they are a common squad. Adding it back in and reworking Execute the Defeated wouldn't be too hard of a stretch. I would probably just boost their defense and remove the third power, unrelenting stalk, so the card isn't so busy.

Regarding reworking the Execute power, it could be something like "After taking a turn with the Deathfangs, if an order marker was revealed on this card you may take another turn with the Deathfangs." Probably needs to be wordsmithed a bit.
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:18 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True. They are readily available as unpainted minis although I know that's sometimes a hard sale.

Thanks for the feedback.

I went back and forth on Wolf Pack. The precedent for not having it was based on the Blade Dancers but then again, they are a common squad. Adding it back in and reworking Execute the Defeated wouldn't be too hard of a stretch. I would probably just boost their defense and remove the third power, unrelenting stalk, so the card isn't so busy.

Regarding reworking the Execute power, it could be something like "After taking a turn with the Deathfangs, if an order marker was revealed on this card you may take another turn with the Deathfangs." Probably needs to be wordsmithed a bit.
Sounds like a good direction.
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:47 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I did a quick cursory search for availability on that box, and it unfortunately doesn't seem to be passable (I saw like three copies on Amazon and one elsewhere). I'd like to see more Varkaanans, but finding good sculpts will be a challenge.

I agree with what's been said about Wolf Pack. It's essentially the defining feature of the faction (common squad notwithstanding), and I think that either it or another power that evokes the same feeling is important to a Unique Varkaanan Squad.

I would expect the "if one got a kill then all get to move and attack again" direction to be workable rules-wise, but I'm a little concerned about it mechanically when paired with Wolf Pack and a boost to OM3. Two turns with the same 6 move/5 attack squad is already potent when it succeeds, and coupling that with Wolf Pack may create too much of an incentive to always play the Varkaanans in a certain way.
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good direction.
Thanks for your help!

Here is the latest version based on this discussion. I bumped their defense to compensate for their "Stalk" power removal.

For "Execute the Defeated," I borrowed the wording from Heracles to keep them from being able to use Wolf Pack on their additional turn. Also, because they are now taking another turn and not just moving and attacking again like in the previous version, even if they revealed an order marker 3 activating the "Finish the Hunt" power they would not benefit from that boost again for "Execute the Defeated" since the "Finish the Hunt" power only activates when an order marker is revealed. This helps offset the additional kill requirement that was in the previous version of this power.

I'll try to sort the figure availability situation out before I move forward with these guys. Any additional input is welcomed. Thanks again!

Edit: @Astroking112 Just saw your post. I hear you and think we are on the same page. This new edition should keep this power in line. Let me know your thoughts

Varkaanan Deathfangs
Unique Squad

Move 4
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4
Points 120

FINISH THE HUNT

When Order Marker 3 is revealed on the Varkaanan Deathfangs, add 2 their Move number and 1 extra attack die for that turn.

WOLF PACK
After revealing an Order Marker on the Varkaanan Deathfangs' card, before taking that turn with the Deathfangs, you may choose one other Unique Wolf Army Card you control and take a turn with it. You may not attack with more figures from the chosen Army Card than the number of destroyed Varkaanan Deathfangs on this card.

EXECUTE THE DEFEATED.
After taking a turn with the Varkaanan Deathfangs, if an order marker was revealed on this card you may take another turn with the Varkaanan Deathfangs. During this turn, the Varkaanan Deathfangs may not use Wolf Pack.

Edit:
Something I was thinking about was having a power that captured the idea of "Lone Wolves." Instead of Execute the Defeated, it could be a Lone Wolf power that worked something like this:

"After you take a turn with the Varkaanan Deathfangs, if the Wolf Pack power was not used during this turn, the Varkaanan Deathfangs may move and attack one additional time."

Last edited by SuperSamyon; November 4th, 2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:02 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think the availability would kill this one, but - the Varks are popular, and a lot of people have probably picked up that box anyway, so it must just be fun as a personal custom.
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I think the availability would kill this one, but - the Varks are popular, and a lot of people have probably picked up that box anyway, so it must just be fun as a personal custom.
You're right. The likelihood of finding enough of these in the wild for SOV inclusion is pretty slim. I'll probably create a personal custom thread and work on it there so others can use the card if they have the figures.

On another note, with Wolf Pack added Execute the Defeated just becomes too problematic. I like Lone Wolves in its place instead if I'm going to keep Wolf Pack. Its much simpler and benefits if order marker 3 was revealed keeping to my original design for these guys.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! It helped,

ould keep this power in line. Let me know your thoughts

Varkaanan Deathfangs
Unique Squad

Move 4
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4
Points 120

FINISH THE HUNT

When Order Marker 3 is revealed on the Varkaanan Deathfangs, add 2 their Move number and 1 extra attack die for that turn.

WOLF PACK
After revealing an Order Marker on the Varkaanan Deathfangs' card, before taking that turn with the Deathfangs, you may choose one other Unique Wolf Army Card you control and take a turn with it. You may not attack with more figures from the chosen Army Card than the number of destroyed Varkaanan Deathfangs on this card.

LONE WOLVES
After taking a turn with the Varkaanan Deathfangs, if the Wolf Pack power was not used during that turn, the Varkaanan Deathfangs may move and attack one additional time."
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:33 PM

Leo Ultra is surprisingly tart

Yeah it’s... really rough for Varkanaans right now... they’re definitely one of my favorite factions if not my favorite though, so a few things I’d like to say:
Right now, point costs for the Varkaanans are pretty rough. Personally I would like to see a new squad at 90-105 points to give them more ability to mesh with poor Arktos, or 70 points or less for variety. As it stands the point costs of Varkaanans are:
Blade Dancers: 80
Unique Squads: 80, 100, 110, 120
Unique Heroes: 95, 110, 120
Khosumet: 75

On the topic of Khosumet, any chance a Relentless personality might be in order for these guys? They are relentlessly patrolling the field and leaving no survivors. Khosumet kind of works with Wolf Pack as it is, but I feel like there’s no reason to throw him in the army for any game under 810 points (the current cost of all unique wolves and Khosumet).

Other than that, it’s a pretty interesting design, and a curious theme! I’m glad to see the Varkaanans getting some love! Best wishes

I wish you high rolls, fair winds, and following seas.
I am a proud member of Platyfly!, a sketch comedy YouTube channel dedicated to giving Platypi the Flying Special Power!
Old November 5th, 2019, 10:12 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

What do people think of this:
2 man squad Figures used:
Anvil of Thunder #02 Aberrations D&D Miniature

D&D Miniatures Unhallowed #16 - Dwarf Battlerager

Long live heroscape
Old November 5th, 2019, 10:12 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Varkaanan Deathfangs
Unique Squad

Move 4
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4
Points 120

FINISH THE HUNT

WOLF PACK

LONE WOLVES
After taking a turn with the Varkaanan Deathfangs, if the Wolf Pack power was not used during that turn, the Varkaanan Deathfangs may move and attack one additional time.

Very cool! Why is Move only 4?

Old November 5th, 2019, 10:48 AM

Shatterhead & Graymace
A squad as a couple of named fellows is a fun idea. Dwarf Fling has a lot of wording and rules problems as is, but I think it could be reworded to be workable. Their movement is rather on the slow side for what you get, but overall they seem ok for the price. Not sure how well the Inner Sanctum would take to "heroes as a squad" though.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards