Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you purchase/use multiple copies of common squads or just one of each set?
Yes, I almost always buy multiples of common squads. 152 49.84%
No, I buy one of each set and that's it. 46 15.08%
I only buy multiples of squads that I really like but certainly not all of them. 107 35.08%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27th, 2006, 11:29 PM

feekonea has disabled reputation
commons are awesome, theyshould add an extr 10 or 15 points to each card if they are a common squad, because you can use them to their full adavantage constantly.

great traders:

Hilo-scaper and NEMT
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:51 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
I have at least two of each common squad set. The most I have of a single squad are 8 squads of Roman Legionairres. I have four sets of knights as well and three squads of Minions of Utgar and three squads of Vipers and three squads of Marro Drones. Oh, and five squads of Blade Gruts. Hell, come to think of it I have a lot of squads. My gf has four squads of sentinels of Jandar and 7 squads of Greeks. Crap, we have a lot of squads. I could go on and on.
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Sapper has disabled reputation
I have multiples of several different commons. I have found that is the perfect amount for me. That way you can have some decent options when drafting but you can't get to crazy. Just my MHO.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Want to find out what a SAPPER is? Go HERE
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You gotta try it with at least a couple of your favorites...
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Sapper has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah
You gotta try it with at least a couple of your favorites...
Agreed!! My first multiple squad was the 4th Mass/wolves. I love me some wolves!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Want to find out what a SAPPER is? Go HERE
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
I buy 2 of each common and 1 of every unique. Having multiple commons does help to enhance their abilities like the obvious drones, but also it can work out with certain squads like say the roman archers. If you have just one set, their ability becomes useless the minute a figure is destroyed. If you had at least a 2nd set, if you lost an archer, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Plus if you're like me, who often likes to go with a themed army, I think it looks cool on the batlefield when you have a battalion of say all romans or all orcs, or all vipers. They all work hand in hand with each other.

Another reason, and I dunno if others ever felt this way, but when I had one set of everything, it would suck if I quickly lost a good squad on the battlefield. Now with a 2nd set, if I lose a squad it's not so bad, because I have my 2nd set.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Slade has disabled reputation
doing both

First I am collecting them all, then I am playing testing them as they arrive in the mail and getting gleeful looks like I just got more goodies for christmas, and finally I will get around to ordering 2nds so I can get that look even more...

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM

ptucker78 has disabled reputation
Originally I thought I wanted two of each set (excluding uniques, just one each for those)... But the more I play I'm think I want a 3rd set of quite a few, especially with having three castle sets. I think there's still a lot of them though that just 2 will be all I want
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Faustus is surprisingly tart
Well, I'm starting to be convinced that I may eventually begin to buy seconds and thirds of common squads. I still want to get at least one of everything first.

I'm curious how playable 8 of one common squad is, though. Don't the rules specify only 3 of any particular common squad? Or was I just reading some house rules somewhere...

Is there any limit to the number of common squads you can use in your army?
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The only limit to commons is the point limit for the army. The 3 common unit limit is a house rule.

Newb.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I love multiple commons. Some can get a little overpowered, but there's nothing like a giant horde of units to make for an exciting map. As for how many squads of a common I'll pick, it varies greatly depending on the actual unit. As a rule of thumb though, I use a 200 point rule. Essentially, I think the most number of squads shouldn't go too much higher than the number required to break 200 points total. For example, I'll almost never draft more than 2 squads of sentinels, but 5 squads of Orcs or Vipers isn't out of the question.
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
I love multiple commons. Some can get a little overpowered, but there's nothing like a giant horde of units to make for an exciting map. As for how many squads of a common I'll pick, it varies greatly depending on the actual unit. As a rule of thumb though, I use a 200 point rule. Essentially, I think the most number of squads shouldn't go too much higher than the number required to break 200 points total. For example, I'll almost never draft more than 2 squads of sentinels, but 5 squads of Orcs or Vipers isn't out of the question.
What size of armies do you typically play with? I think the 200 point rule is great for 400 point armies, but if you have 1000 points to play with I'd say you might want to increase that.

For the record, here's how many I bought of each pack:

10 Master Sets (4 of which are EOV)

10 Gruts
4 Romans
4 Snipers and Vipers
3 Heroes of Bleakwoode

3 Heroes of Laur
10 RttFF
6 Volcaren

4 Knights and Swog
4 4th Mass and Wolves
4 Drones and Minions
3 Heroes of Barrenspur

4 Sentinels and Monks
4 Gorillas and Hounds
4 Kilts and Commandos
3 Heroes of Nostralund

4 Thaelenk Tundra
3 Raknars Vision

4 Greeks and Vipers
4 Elves and Soulborgs
4 Samurai and Lawmen
3 Heroes of Trollsford

4 Soulborgs
4 Warriors and Soulborgs
4 Ninijas and Samurai
4 Gladiators and Agents

5 Fortress of the Archkyrie

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles