Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 14th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Islandscape 2015 Army Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
I wonder if a Steamroller would have beaten taken the victory because they are consistently good against almost all figures. With "B" figures, the figures tend to have a higher variance than higher ranked figures. Against range, the WoA are weak (which could explain why they weren't used last year in any army). Against DW8K, the Ashigaru go down quickly. Zombies tend to fall against range and large figures. The Microcorp need height (and tend to be very map dependent). The Gorillinators fall very quickly to special attacks. The Aubrien Archers need good D20 rolls. Hounds can dominate a game or can die very quickly. Wolves of Badru are very opponent specific (good luck with them against Hounds).

So what's the winning army? That's the one I'm taking.
Sigh, I don't think I will ever understand why people think the Steamroller is all that.

When it (the Capuans) first came out people went nuts because not only were the Gladiators now playable, it had a fierce name because it was notorious during playtesting (like the hydra, although I don't think that one had a nickname). And it is powerful, "Steamroller"-powerful, against certain builds for sure, but there are so many builds it won't do much against simply because of the lack of figures, board control, etc. I understand it can wreck a newer player that doesn't know what to do against it, but against an experienced player with a typical higher tier army it shouldn't win. It's not a top tier army, or a high tier army either.

The fact is Spartacus still costs too much. If he costed like 150pt. or so you could add something like Marro Warriors which would do a world of good. Or drop a squad of Capuans and have ~120pt. to work with for answers to its problems.

In this format it will obviously be better, but still not in the top 5 or so army types you can build. There's too many basic problems it has.

Not trying to jump on ya, Rich10, I just hear people talk up the Steamroller all the time and I completely disagree. It's of the most overrated builds imo. It's not a bad army and again, in this format it will probably do better, but it's far from the best.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Sigh, I don't think I will ever understand why people think the Steamroller is all that.

It's not a top tier army, or a high tier army either.

Not trying to jump on ya, Rich10, I just hear people talk up the Steamroller all the time and I completely disagree. It's of the most overrated builds imo. It's not a bad army and again, in this format it will probably do better, but it's far from the best.
I agree that its not a top tier army (which is why it is ranked "B"). IMHO, it is one of the better "B" armies. It is thematic, it now has a special attack (with Priscus), and it doesn't have any glaring holes.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:53 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
it had a fierce name because it was notorious during playtesting (like the hydra, although I don't think that one had a nickname).
Fen Hydra is the Lawnmower. (Coined by Jexik, in reference to a scene from Dead Alive, which I will not link from youtube here.)

And yes, Capuans are definitely not all that. I believe they are B+ in the base rankings; I moved them down.
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Oh absolutely, the armies are always very unique which is awesome. Sorry if you took any offense from my post, I meant none, I was just pointing it out to the general (because we all were wrong on the Zombies, heck I was watching the game and I didn't catch it then).
No offense taken. I feel bad that I played the Zombies incorrectly. I was going to go with an Kato/Ashigaru army, and just that morning switched to a Zombie army thinking that I could benefit from using cheap Yari to revive Zombies.
Yea, we realized that mistake a few weeks after we played that game. But it wasn't a big deal, I still consider it one of the best games I've played in a long while. It was right down to the wire huh?
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
I still consider it one of the best games I've played in a long while. It was right down to the wire huh?
Most of our games turn out to be great games. But yes, this game came down to 10 or 20 points.
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:39 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Psst

Well met![

QUOTE=Dysole;2033031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
OK. Thus far, the armies we've been considering seem either dully competitive, or contain interesting units while being competitively hopeless. I'm now thinking

180 Taelord
120 Nakitas
110 Moriko
100 Warriors of Ashra x 2.

I considered another squad of Ashra and the Izumi for Moriko, but she will be more fun, and her Special Powers may come in handy. Pretty simple to play - lead with Moriko and/or a WoA screen, and batter my opponents with the Nakitas' Taelord-augmented, 3 attacks of 4 per turn.
Moriko < Scarcarver.

~Dysole, giving still fun but better options[/QUOTE]

I guess the best unit would be Brunak - to Carry Taelord around.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a top tier army, or a high tier army either.

I agree that its not a top tier army (which is why it is ranked "B"). IMHO, it is one of the better "B" armies. It is thematic, it now has a special attack (with Priscus), and it doesn't have any glaring holes.
I agree with you, it's of the better armies in this format. Just not the best imo. The theme is sweet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
it had a fierce name because it was notorious during playtesting (like the hydra, although I don't think that one had a nickname).
Fen Hydra is the Lawnmower. (Coined by Jexik, in reference to a scene from Dead Alive, which I will not link from youtube here.)

And yes, Capuans are definitely not all that. I believe they are B+ in the base rankings; I moved them down.
Ah yes that's what it was. I knew I remembered something, but couldn't recall a name so I doubted if there was one.
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I can't decide if I want to use 6xCrypt Guardians/Sudema or just run Dund solo... I'll decide while I'm driving down tomorrow.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
I can't decide if I want to use 6xCrypt Guardians/Sudema or just run Dund solo... I'll decide while I'm driving down tomorrow.
It's times like these that you just wish Dund was a common Hero huh?
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
It's times like these that you just wish Dund was a common Hero huh?
There's still time to house rule it--we've still got over an hour before the tournament starts! I better start hitting up Craigslist now if I want to get another 3 Dunds before game time.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion