Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 26th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Viceron the Blood Knight has received two Nay votes to induct (Scytale and Soundwarp SG-1) and is removed from the process.
Old April 26th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thank you to my fellow judges for reviewing Viceron twice now. I have a few ideas for the design that may bring me around to try one more time with him if I can get it to all work out.
Old April 26th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Any word from @infectedsloth about Ashi-Dhulu?
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm still waiting for Executioner 616... looks like a blast to play!
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
I'm still waiting for Executioner 616... looks like a blast to play!
Technically there is no reason to wait. As I mentioned, I liked the unit before he was approved by any of the Judges so I printed a card and ran with it.

I have done the same with a few other Units that have been submitted. Some passed some didn't. Some I made a slight tweak to, some I play as is. There are even some customs that I use that never received anyone's approval.

There are some official figures I would not have purchased if I could play them before hand. That is the great thing about customs, you can try before you buy, and even buy things that you like that no one else does.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I've just noticed that Cormin the Dark was approved in January, but still lacks a card or an entry in the Books of Index - I'm unsure if there are any others.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

It looks like he'll be ready soon. Every SoV unit gets the full editing and art treatment before its final release.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:45 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Swaysil of the Northlands by @Maklar the Silver Prince

Does Heroscape need a centaur? Yes. Brunak doesn't count. Does Heroscape need this centaur?

Balance

Balance is the most questionable aspect of this design. Exceptional movement speed plus range makes for a frightening run-and-gun unit. She's not the only one with stats like these, though; Me-Burq-Sa is pretty close. Where MBS has bonding and some Marro synergy, Swaysil goes it alone. On the other hand, where MBS has a single inconsistent power that helps his attack, Swaysil has both a fairly consistent auto-wound and an attack booster. Balance is within theoryscape reason, at least, but I'll get into it more in Playtesting.

Theme

The left-side stats tell us that Swaysil is a Bold Centaur Archer, and that's exactly how she plays. Her impressive speed combined with a decent range attack (often 4 Attack due to height) allows her to race around the edges of the battlefield, keeping her distance while plunking away at her enemies. However, it's the bold charges that reap the greatest rewards, allowing her (with a little luck) to Run Down a smaller opponent while shooting down another within Point Blank range. The whole package works together very well thematically.

Creativity

The design shows both restraint and value. There is a general tendency for custom Unique Heroes to ratchet up the complexity and power level as well as focusing on synergy. Swaysil comes in at a low price point, providing simple filler value without relying on bonding or similar synergies. Her powers are simple, easy to remember, useful, and support the intended theme.

Playability

With relatively poor survivability, it's dangerous to throw this Centaur Archer into the fray early. While range attacks are nice, a single attack of three or four per turn doesn't provide much value for an order marker in mid-game play. Together these weaknesses reinforce Swaysil's primary role: cleanup.

At that she really shines. With her impressive movement plus a solid range attack, she can run-and-gun with the best of them. When the time is right, charge. Run Down is pretty reliable; you can usually count on that to take out a squad figure. If you play things right, you can then follow up with a Point Blank Shot of 5 dice (3 Attack + Point Blank Shot 1 + height) against another figure, killing it off as well.

Playing her right requires bold play, smart positioning, and calculated gambles. Exactly the sort of design I love.

Balance, however, is a tough question. While she almost always disappoints when used in early or mid-game, she can wreck scattered squads in late game. The combination of being a great run-and-gun unit and a frightening rush down unit makes her versatile in the cleanup role, all for a cheap 50 points. I wouldn't say she makes other filler units like Me-Burq-Sa or Marro Warriors obsolete, as they can provide different value in different builds, but Swaysil is top-class for her points as a cleanup filler. Dangerously top-class. In my testing she consistently defeated scattered late-game squads, even full (and more) squads that cost significantly more.

Is she overpowered? Frankly, a low-cost Unique Hero with no synergies would have to be grossly overpowered to make any significant impact on the metagame, and Swaysil definitely isn't that. But while she can fall flat from time to time, I was always uncomfortable with the strength of the unit for the price. Her run-and-gun ability makes it so that her opponent has to press to take her down, but doing so sets up a nasty Run Down/Point Blank Shot combo that usually results in the loss of two squad figures, a vital blow in endgame.

Summary

Swaysil isn't grossly underpriced, or even much underpriced, but you get an awful lot for 50 points. I won't say she's overpowered, but I am just not comfortable about releasing her in this form. A little more expensive or a bit less consistent and I would have happily approved.

That said, if my fellow Judges disagree with me, I'd be happy to see Swaysil join Fanscape. If not, I hope to see a slightly tweaked version return.

I vote Nay to induct Swaysil of the Northlands into the SoV.
Old June 10th, 2016, 04:33 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Swaysil of the Northlands by @Maklar the Silver Prince

Will Swaysil be Heroscape's first centaur or will the horsewoman just not quite fit in?

Balance

When Swaysil was first submitted, this was my biggest concern. Her printed stats are comparable to Me-Burq-Sa's (she has slightly better survivability against attacks 3 and greater), but she has two relevant and consistent powers against Me-Burq-Sa's unreliable stare. She doesn't bond, however, making her more of a filler or clean up unit and enough of a difference for me to agree to testing.

Theme

Heroscape could use a centaur and Swaysil fits the bill nicely. While you could play her conservatively, she shines when you play her boldly into her powers. Run Down is a great thematic power for a centaur and Point Blank Shot 1 adds to her personality. Ullar is the perfect home for a centaur and her figure fits right in.

Creativity

Swaysil has two novel powers that are both simple and thematic. I believe design is at its best when the theme helps players understand the powers and Run Down works perfectly in that regard. I can easily see Point Blank Shot being used again in future customs as well.

Playability

As a lone hero with poor defense and offense linked to being close, Swaysil is really more of a clean up hero. A single attack of 3 or 4 at range could be what you need, but there really are better options near her price point if you are just looking for some ranged filler.

While I certainly wouldn't use her much early, I wouldn't count her out entirely of the mid game. She is fast enough and strong enough that you can pretty easily keep her out of harm's way and bring her through for a surprise attack to punch through some damage and just ruin your opponent's plans. Even if they kill her soon afterwards, two Order Markers on Swaysil can pretty consistently get 2-3 kills which can be just what you need to knock out a hero or cripple a squad.

In the late game, her strengths are even more exaggerated. She's fast enough that she can simply run and gun melee units (although her double base can make that a little tricky at times). Once they are close enough that they would be able to attack her, she can easily charge in and pick off two units with solid consistency. Ranged opponents can at least keep up the attacks against her but are just as susceptible to her getting one or two kills a turn.

This comes down to the crux of my problem with her. Swaysil is not broken and works for 50 points, but her Run Down feels just a little too likely for her cost. Couple that with her Point Blank Shot and you are easily looking at an automatic wound killing a squad and following that up with an attack of 4 or easily 5 for another kill. While the design clearly intends for these charges to be a bold or risky play, the auto wound power stands on enough on the side of reliable that it is so often the best choice, especially in clean up. The fact that she does it in addition to her attack means that even missing isn't that big of a deal since you can still follow it up with a solid attack against the same figure. Even when the opponent ties her down, I wouldn't bat an eye to take a leaving engagement attack with her 4 life to keep using Run Down.

Summary

In the end of the day, Swaysil is still a lone hero with low survivability. She really could still work at 50 points without breaking the game or being substantially better than some existing units. However, I feel that Run Down is just a bit too likely for a unit of her cost and what the design is trying to accomplish. Swaysil is otherwise a great thematic and fun design that I would love to play more but the reliablity of Run Down pushes her just enough that I don't feel she fits in.

I vote NAY to induct Swaysil of the Northlands into SoV.
Old June 10th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Swaysil of the Northlands has received two Nay votes to induct (Scytale and Ixe) and is removed from the process.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 10:39 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd like to thank @Scytale and @Ixe for giving my custom it's due processes. I personally thought Swaysil was great but I'm glad the both judges voted no to the custom when they were uncomfortable with her level of power in the endgame. The SoV is for great customs, and if you're uncomfortable with it in the least it isn't perfect. I wanted Swaysil to be a high-end power unit and I'm glad they found her as such. I think she's very close and only needs some tweaking, but unfortunately I don't know when I'll ever have the time to do so now. (I'm very busy!) So if anyone wants to take this custom and run with it, resubmit it, you have my full approval.

Any word on how Cormin the Dark or Ashi-Dhulu are coming along?

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:13 AM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Guys these are sick! I really want to play them! I'll need a few things 1) a time machine (the kind that creates time, not the one that travels through it) 2) Some people to play with and 3) some of these little beauties.

In answer to your questions

1) Yes, I live in the Maryland area so I'd be looking for MD/PA scapers (or Virginia).
2) Yes, I just discovered custom scape.
3) No, I have no idea how to create or otherwise obtain custom scape except by using proxies.

EDIT: And, I did it again...ok so here's the part that is relevant to the discussion. Viceron the Blood knight looked good. He was definitely a good idea, and had a very classic scape feel to him. I would have suggested bumping down his defense to a 4, and making his cost 150. I say decrease his defense because the guy heals very effectively. He's a solid character, but I would have made those adjustments.

Are there any characters currently on the table?

In progress fan fic; Kaia Vendetta

Slink's story can be found here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs