Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old October 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'm now persuaded that the markers don't need to have a different names in this instance. to review the Elgos Knights.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; October 17th, 2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Or at least, I'm persuaded that I should let this discussion move to an Inner Sanctum vote for VC as a whole to decide
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:54 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

What planet are the knights supposed to be from?
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
What planet are the knights supposed to be from?
Good question, and one that I'm a bit open to. I'd personally go with Feylund since I think their armor obscures their traits and their back story can slot nicely alongside all the other Undead on that planet. I'd say they don't necessarily fit on Toril since they aren't exactly D&D-based and I'm getting a sense from the Ebon Armor that necromantic magic works a bit differently than what the Elgos Knights do with souls.

Last edited by Ixe; October 21st, 2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:00 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

The Ebon Armor are not at all related to Necromancy. They are Constructs.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The Ebon Armor were created by an alchemist, as their bio indicates. They are animated materiel.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yes, but that was partly my point. I didn't mean necromancy so literally, just that the magic involving using death in some way (dead material in the case of the Ebon Armor) has a different (alchemical) take on it rather than something involving souls. It's not to say Arctorus can't have necromancy as well, just my one example even relating to it gives a different tone, and one I wouldn't mind seeing continue.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:26 PM

As an update on the availability of the Dread Guard miniature, I have heard back from paizo and they have 10 in stock. That brings the total to 70, a tad lower than I'd prefer but I hope not prohibitively low.
Old November 5th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Urk by Ninja Status did not pass United Fanscape review and is removed from the process.

Though many liked the overall design, the most common criticism was the broad and unrestrained boost granted by Mob Swarm. While a number of members did not like its scalability, a few others did not like that it applied to heroes as well as squads, unnecessarily limiting future Goblin Hero designs.
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:10 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Prince Al’kahora by capsocrates

Prince Al’kahora aims to be the first human to come from the past of Arctorus, a world shrouded in mystery, but rooted in high fantasy as well. He attempts to balance the roles of prince and knight, the noble with the heart of a warrior. We’ll see how he measures up.

Balance

There are a lot of 80 point melee heroes. Many of these are support units, or units that mainly use a ranged special attack. Although a decent comparison can be made with Concan, I think one of the closest comparisons is actually with a 70-point hero: Martial La Hire. The Prince, for 10 points more, has one less defense and one more move. But whereas Martial only has an opportunity to attack twice conditionally, Al’kahora gets to use either his double attack or his defense weakening attack each turn. Seems fair as a starting point.

Theme

The Prince has a lot going on thematically. He’s a Prince, he’s a Knight, he’s got weird mystical abilities with serene naturalistic sounding titles. Despite all these competing ideas, he does form a solid and clear picture in my mind. It sounds like there is a Eastern-leaning mystic culture on Arctorus with a class system similar to Western Feudalism. The Prince is merely a product of his culture, so much so that he epitomizes all classes of it.

I will admit that the class of Knight scared me at first. Not because I didn’t see him as a Knight in his own context, but I didn’t see the existing Knights as fitting with him. I did come to realize that Heroscape classes are broader than their original definition (Guard, Warden, Soldier, Warlord), so that became less of an issue. My personal class choice would be Warrior, but Knight does not strike me as wrong.

Creativity

The names of the powers and of Prince Al’kahora himself is certainly very creative, and the design is too. The interplay between Razorpetal Stance and Strike of the Puma is very fun, especially when you have the choice to engage two opponent’s figures, which would grant the opportunity to use a double attack the next turn if you fail, but also gives up a chance at using Strike of the Puma on the subsequent turn.

Playability

Prince Al’kahora is very versatile, with both a hard-hitting attack option and a multi-attack option. Because of that, he fits well in many armies, but he also lacks hard synergy. It’s very difficult to make use of his Knight synergy, because he can’t keep up with a Knight army. But as a generic melee beatstick, he does very well. He’s fast enough to overtake ranged squads, and has a good enough attack output to almost guarantee a kill of a squad figure if that’s what you need. But he also can do significant damage with Razorpetal Stance, which grants him two attacks if he doesn’t move.

Despite his attack output, the Prince is a bit of a glass-jawed figure. With only 3 defense and 5 life, you can’t be sure how long he’ll stay around, especially when he is in the middle of combat. If your opponent manages to tie him down and get 3 or 4 attacks on him, he’ll only last 2-4 turns, depending on who he’s facing.

But one of Al’kahora’s main assets is that he can’t be ignored. Once he’s in the middle of the fray, if he’s not taken down, he can do some serious damage. So with careful OM placement, you can use the threat of Prince Al’kahora to provide other units time to develop.

The Prince is actually a decent Rats counter. If he begins his turn engaged to a Deathreaver, and attacks and kills it, if a second one engages him he gets to use both Razorpetal Stance and Strike of the Puma, which is a neat side effect.

Summary

I liked playing Prince Al’kahora. He’s a very interesting figure to play because of his two conditional powers. I would prefer if his class was Warrior, but Knight doesn’t bother me. Despite being a medium, fantasy, stand-alone hero, Prince Al’kahora is one of the coolest figures in that category.

I vote to induct Prince Al’kahora into the Soldiers of Valhalla

Last edited by superfrog; November 5th, 2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Very close to the 1-year mark here. Prince Al'kahora was nominated 366 days ago... :P
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM

jedilou knows what's in an order marker jedilou knows what's in an order marker jedilou knows what's in an order marker

Congrats to capsocrates, that is now 4 votes for Prince Al'Kahora. Pending approval by 3CV, there will be another new addition into the SoV/VC!
Old November 5th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Congratulations to capsocrates! Prince Al'kahora has received four Yea votes (Scytale, Son of Arathorn,Soundwarp SG-1, and superfrog) and has been inducted into the Soldiers of Valhalla!

The unit will proceed to C3V Editing and Art before final release.
Old November 5th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Congrats to @capsocrates , indeed. Thanks, as well, to @Ninja Status , for sharing a fine custom with us in the C3V. We did not take that vote lightly, nor do we take any such vote lightly. Congrats & thanks, respectively!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs