Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old September 10th, 2020, 01:48 PM

AlexH12 knows what's in an order marker AlexH12 knows what's in an order marker
The Book of The Octopus

The Book of The Octopus

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 27
WORLDS COLLIDE

Comic PDF

Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Modified Heroclix figure from the Arkham Asylum set.
Its model number and name are #015 / Plasmus.

Character Bio - Victor Octavius was an Italian baron who was found ill with the plague. He was set to find a cure, so he held Henri Pym's wife captive for him to make a cure. Pym needed the blood of a "witchbreed" in order to make this cure. Norman Osborne told Pym about Peter Parker, also known as the spider. Previous attempts to cure Victor led to a mutation from an octopus. Victor grows tentacles and becomes more agressive in his needs. Pym draws blood from Peter to make this cure. When Pym finishes the serum, Victor believes that he is meant to be in this form and smashes the beaker against the ground. Victor is pent up fighting the Spider and does not notice the giant Henri Pym appearing from the sea. Pym tried to lick up the serum, not wanting it to go to waste, in doing that he made himself giant. Pym got his revenge and crushed Victor under his foot.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • The Octopus may bond with Scientists with his Scientist Extortion special power.
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Last edited by Splash; August 1st, 2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: png
Old September 10th, 2020, 01:53 PM

Re: The Book of The Octopus (Breathing)

NAME = THE OCTOPUS
SECRET IDENTITY = VICTOR OCTAVIUS

SPECIES = WITCHBREED
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = CREATURE
PERSONALITY = ARROGANT

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 200

GRIP OF THE OCTOPUS
If The Octopus rolls a skull against a small or medium figure leaving an engagement with him, that figure may not leave the engagement with The Octopus this turn. At the end of the round, roll an unblockable attack die against all figures engaged with The Octopus.

SCIENTIST EXTORTION
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and before taking a turn with The Octopus, you may first take a turn with a Unique Scientist Hero you control within 6 clear sight spaces of The Octopus. During this turn, the chosen Scientist can only attack if you reveal the "X" Order Marker on this card. After taking a turn with a Scientist in this way, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 2 or lower, choose an opponent to take permanent control of that Scientist. You may not take any additional turns with other figures you control.

HEALING 1
At the end of the round, remove 1 Wound Marker from this card.

Last edited by AlexH12; March 18th, 2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 10th, 2020, 02:06 PM

Mini Pics
Spoiler Alert!

Comic Art
Spoiler Alert!

Background Pics
Spoiler Alert!
Old September 10th, 2020, 02:19 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Immediate thoughts;
-Is he a Ruler? If so, what of? He seems like more of a traditional Creature in C3G terms.
-I think Ink Spew should have a marker involved or get a change in mechanics. It's just a pretty big memory mechanic, in that you have to remember which figure is affected and if it's a -1 or -2.
Old September 10th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

I've bought Spidey 1602, so I'll try to read it soon and give you some thoughts on theme as well.
Old September 10th, 2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
-Is he a Ruler? If so, what of?
If I remember correctly, he was a baron of Italy in the comics.
Quote:
I think Ink Spew should have a marker involved or get a change in mechanics. It's just a pretty big memory mechanic, in that you have to remember which figure is affected and if it's a -1 or -2.
After moving, before attacking, you may choose one figure within 3 clear sight spaces and roll the 20-sided die. One ink token subtracts one die from the unit's next attack or defense roll.
  • If you roll 1-11, there is no effect.
  • If you roll 12-17, place one ink token on the target's army card
  • If you roll 18+, place two ink tokens on the target's army card

How does that sound?
Old September 10th, 2020, 03:30 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

This one still does need some work, as I said in-sanctum when we were voting. I don't know the theme of this guy outside of being a human-octopus, so I can't comment on specifics there.

Ruler gives synergies like the Moloids. If he's not ruling stuff like that, I would avoid that class.

Extensive Reach as a name doesn't really mesh with the mechanics. I would rather call it tentacle grab or something like that, and make it purely a grab and pull. Maybe there should be a d20 tied to it, not terribly sure, but then it'd combo better with his engagement power.

Grip of the Octopus is literally Warrior Engagement, and we don't rename powers. We can slightly tweak it, or go with something simple like Stuck, to just automatically stop them from moving. Obviously that would up his cost and power level quite a bit, but it's interesting.

Ink spew is a mechanical issue. HS doesn't have a clean way of specifying a figure's next turn, and on top of that if you put markers on their army card, then you affect an entire squad (Or multiple common squads, or all common heroes). A work around is to just let it affect Unique Heroes. Otherwise this is a good place for a thematic power. For example: In the book does he use it to protect himself when someone is shooting him? Then it could be a defensive ability.
Old September 10th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Just A Head

Grip of the Octopus is fine, it has a size restriction and Warrior Engagement doesn't.
Old September 10th, 2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
INK SPEW 11
After moving, before attacking, you may choose one figure within 3 clear sight spaces and roll the 20-sided die.
  • If you roll 1-11, there is no effect.
  • If you roll 12-17, subtract 1 from the target's next attack or defense roll.
  • If you roll 18+, subtract 2 from the target's next attack or defense roll.
Now that I think about it, this power has no place in the design. I'm not exactly sure why I made this power because it has no relevance to the character. I'm not sure what direction I would go for a replacement power at the moment.
Old September 10th, 2020, 03:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I've only read the bio as far as knowledge of the subject, but here are a few thoughts.

No issue with Ruler if you really want it, but Baron is pretty low down the list of rulers and Nobody's Creature suggestions fits with much more interesting synergy to tap into. As such I would go with Creature personally.

Looks like he's just a normal human who has been turned into a semi-octupus using old world science/magic. As such the base attack & defense stats seem pretty high here. Base attack of 5 for someone without SS or being a top tier martial artist type does not line up with our other designs.

7 defense is also really high and I'm not sure what the theme of that would be. An Octopus is not a Rhino. If you are worried about him going down too quick, that is where the ink comes into play and it's negative attack modifier. As such I'd consider revamping the d20/ink power to be purely defensive action. Something like:

INK SPEW 11
Anytime The Octopus is targeted by an attack, if the figure targeting him is within 3 clear sight spaces, before attack dice are rolled you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, the attacking figure rolls 2 fewer attack dice for the rest of their player turn. Figures with the Blind Warrior special power are not effected by Ink Spew.

Upped the effect to a flat -2 to account for a lowering of the base defense down. Then made it last for the full turn, so multiple attack figure are 'blinded' by the ink for all their attacks during that turn (even if they change targets). Added in the Blind Warrior immunity for theme reasons.
Old September 10th, 2020, 03:50 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Not every design needs 3 powers. Rather than grasping at straws just to have a 3rd, work on the 2 you have to make them as interesting as you can. Maybe a 3rd will come naturally then!

My suggestion: Get the core of the character down thematically first. Then decide mechanically what kind of unit you want him to play like (Offense, support, etc...). Then tweak the mechanics to fit the theme of the character.
Old September 10th, 2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Looks like he's just a normal human who has been turned into a semi-octupus using old world science/magic. As such the base attack & defense stats seem pretty high here. Base attack of 5 for someone without SS or being a top tier martial artist type does not line up with our other designs.

7 defense is also really high and I'm not sure what the theme of that would be. An Octopus is not a Rhino.
The stats honestly need to be brought down. I probably should have made some tweaks to the design. Sort of the same thing as the whole Ink Spew power, I don't really know why I did it, but I do want to make a design that is actually balanced and fits with the character.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library