Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
So I played the game today with my son, and we had fun. It works pretty much just how I wanted it to work. It needs a few things, though, that I intend to add before I call it a final version.

1) It desperately needs cards. The cards could list all the stats for the monsters, and eliminate the rather boring searches through the tables page for the right table. The game would move MUCH faster with cards, and be more fun.

2) Miniatures. I have like 400 miniatures, but I still only have 1 goblin, and he's not sporting a bow. I have to use a kobold with a crossbow. And then, if there are two, I just toss something in there. So what I mean to do is make paper miniatures, so you can cut them out and put them together to make the figures for the game.

3) Prettier maps. The maps are servicable - they tell you where you can't move and provide strategic alternatives. But they're not that much fun to look at right now.

And here are my playtest notes, with things I changed as we played and I discovered they were missing or bad.

1. Add locked doors to some of the events. This little annoyance - and that's really all it is - can actually cost you the game if you're not careful placing the tiles. If a door is locked, you're screwed, and can't use it again the whole game unless you can pick it. Fail the pick, look for a different door. Fail enough and you lose.

2. Max asked if he could retrieve his dagger after he threw it. I hadn't even considered that. I guess I don't see why not.

3. Attacks are cheaper now. It costs 2 Mv to make a melee attack, and 3 to shoot. If a hero stands next to a monster at the beginning of his turn, that means he can swing twice.

4. Move cost of enemy spells wasn't there at all. I added it (in case you're wondering, it's 2).

5. Enemy Mv scores are WAY too high. I brought them all down to be closer to the heroes.

6. No Mv cost for drinking a potion or using a salve - this is 1.

7. Mystic Bolt is weak. I made its attack dice = Mnd +1.

8. Shock Fist needed a boost, too. It's now Mnd +3.

9. Failing a trap isn't even discussed. For now, if you fail to disarm a trap, or just stumble through it, you get attacked with 3 dice.

10. I need LOS rules. Characters and furniture don't obstruct LOS; walls do.

11. Monsters need an order in which they act. First by rank, then by range, then by proximity.

12. No description for a shield (D+1)

13. Righteous Rage becomes Mnd +1.

14. Dread Cloud - lasts until either the hero or the monster is dead.

15. This is the big one - 15 is too many rooms for a short game. If you want a marathon (which will get old quick), you need fewer rooms. For an enjoyable 60-90 minute game, put two A tiles on top of one B tile in each pile.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
So I played the game today with my son, and we had fun. It works pretty much just how I wanted it to work. It needs a few things, though, that I intend to add before I call it a final version.

1) It desperately needs cards. The cards could list all the stats for the monsters, and eliminate the rather boring searches through the tables page for the right table. The game would move MUCH faster with cards, and be more fun.

2) Miniatures. I have like 400 miniatures, but I still only have 1 goblin, and he's not sporting a bow. I have to use a kobold with a crossbow. And then, if there are two, I just toss something in there. So what I mean to do is make paper miniatures, so you can cut them out and put them together to make the figures for the game.

3) Prettier maps. The maps are servicable - they tell you where you can't move and provide strategic alternatives. But they're not that much fun to look at right now.

And here are my playtest notes, with things I changed as we played and I discovered they were missing or bad.

1. Add locked doors to some of the events. This little annoyance - and that's really all it is - can actually cost you the game if you're not careful placing the tiles. If a door is locked, you're screwed, and can't use it again the whole game unless you can pick it. Fail the pick, look for a different door. Fail enough and you lose.

2. Max asked if he could retrieve his dagger after he threw it. I hadn't even considered that. I guess I don't see why not.

3. Attacks are cheaper now. It costs 2 Mv to make a melee attack, and 3 to shoot. If a hero stands next to a monster at the beginning of his turn, that means he can swing twice.

4. Move cost of enemy spells wasn't there at all. I added it (in case you're wondering, it's 2).

5. Enemy Mv scores are WAY too high. I brought them all down to be closer to the heroes.

6. No Mv cost for drinking a potion or using a salve - this is 1.

7. Mystic Bolt is weak. I made its attack dice = Mnd +1.

8. Shock Fist needed a boost, too. It's now Mnd +3.

9. Failing a trap isn't even discussed. For now, if you fail to disarm a trap, or just stumble through it, you get attacked with 3 dice.

10. I need LOS rules. Characters and furniture don't obstruct LOS; walls do.

11. Monsters need an order in which they act. First by rank, then by range, then by proximity.

12. No description for a shield (D+1)

13. Righteous Rage becomes Mnd +1.

14. Dread Cloud - lasts until either the hero or the monster is dead.

15. This is the big one - 15 is too many rooms for a short game. If you want a marathon (which will get old quick), you need fewer rooms. For an enjoyable 60-90 minute game, put two A tiles on top of one B tile in each pile.
Cool! Have you updated the rules or are you just mentioning what you plan on doing?

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I just played it today, and the rules are at work. I'm sort of just throwing that out there in case anyone was trying it out this weekend. I should have updated rules by mid-week.

It actually really helps to have them here, because it lets me reference them at work without having to email these notes to myself.

Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Updated rules by Mid-Week? Cool! Much better release dates than Hasbro! =)

About the locked doors maybe you can add rules so players can bash/kick the door down or even an option to use an axe to hack through the door. This would give players more chances to get that pesky door open and is fairly realistic. Give anyone of us an axe and some time and I'm sure we could get through any wooden door. Realistically the only obstacle is other people who might call the cops. In the dungeon that equals monsters.

Oh iron doors probably would not be bashable so those would still require keys or lock picks.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Man Genius

That's a good idea. Add a way to bash the door, and if you fail, a wandering monster appears. Every failure means another wandering monster, so bash the door or move on before something comes to get you.

Old July 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM

Widigo has disabled reputation
that looks intresting, you have driven me to work on my custom rules, and i would feel guilty if i worked on rules for a game and not on the writing that i hope to use as my bread and butter for the next 60 or so years. So all in all you ahve inspiard me to start writing again.

Actualy you did none of this and I just think your stuff is awesome.

Sorry If I Spell like a Horgle, or Smell like one.
- Slimbo the Silly Shamin
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Man Genius

Well, thanks, Widigo.

The download thing won't let me delete my old download and replace it with this new one, so if you want a copy of the updated rules, email me. I've only fixed the problems I had from the playtest, but I have not made minis or cards yet, so you may want to hold off for now and just read the playtest notes.

Old July 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM

I would e mail you, but when i click the email button it takes me to my outlook howmpage, but it is screwd up. To make a long story short please post your e-mail.

Old July 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widigo
I would e mail you, but when i click the email button it takes me to my outlook howmpage, but it is screwd up. To make a long story short please post your e-mail.
How about hovering your mouse over the email button, and looking at what his email is (minus the "mailto:")...it should show up in your status bar...
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Man Genius

drake-studios @ abac.com

There you go!

Hey, I need a name for this game. Give me some ideas, and if I choose your name, I'll give you a free copy of the game! Of course, everyone else could also get a free copy because I'll make it a free download, but whatever. Help me!

Old July 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM

The Infinit Dungeon. It sounds good, expreses the idea that with enough pages the game would last forever, and it is a play on your screen name

Or, The Dungeon of Infinite pleasure, but that sound provocativ. Four guys and a sword, Kill the ogre, Goblin Smasher.

Old July 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Man Genius

I'm not wild about Infinite Dungeons. Sounds interesting, but it doesn't grab me. For reference, I think the best name I've seen for a dungeon game is Talisman. It's evocative without directly saying, 'this is a dungeon game.' It sounds quest-worthy without coming right out and saying, 'getcher quests over here!'

Anyone else? I'll even sweeten this more - if I use your name, I'll print you out a copy of the game and mail it to you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions