Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:05 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Post NOT Code 4114

Code 4114 is well on the way. I am moving steadily through the outline and expect to begin writing soon. You can keep track of my progress by watching my sig.

I should warn you now: while Code 4114 is definitely a retelling of LBV, certain key things are vastly different. I think all changes I've made are for the best and will only add to the end product, but I wanted to let you know: don't come into it expecting Valhalla Reborn. You'll see why the instant you start reading. I can guarantee it.

However, while you're waiting, I figured I'd post a little something I wrote back in September of 2014. It's my first attempt at Code 4114: something I decided to write which really had no development or end. Or beginning for that matter. I believe my thinking at the time was that it would fit somewhere in the middle, right after Dan got summoned.

Needless to say, you will see nothing remotely like this in the actual Code 4114. Again, you will know why the instant you start reading. I thought I'd share it with you though, as otherwise it would probably never see the light of day, and I rather liked the way it turned out. Remember, there is no true ending.
Spoiler Alert!

~TGRF.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:07 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
My Thoughts

There's something about the dialogue in this... it just seems more natural to me than most other dialogue I write. I'm glad I didn't lose track of this particular bit of writing.

~TGRF.
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:33 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: NOT Code 4114

Just read this. Super well done! It was quite engaging and left me wanting more! Definitely can not wait for Code 4114 now!

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
Just read this. Super well done! It was quite engaging and left me wanting more! Definitely can not wait for Code 4114 now!
The official stance on 4114 is that it has been dropped. It was a case of new techniques trying to fit into old parameters for writing, and it wasn't working especially well.

The unofficial stance is that I might finish it anyway. I'm part way through the writing, and despite it's developmental problems, I actually like the way it's turning out. It has a feel to it that I really like, so I could finish it up. I can't promise anything, but it's definitely a possibility.

~TGRF.
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Since it is technically dropped, would you mind sharing why exactly it didn't work out? I agree that the little bit you posted in the OP is excellently written.

~TAF, curious

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old April 14th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Since it is technically dropped, would you mind sharing why exactly it didn't work out? I agree that the little bit you posted in the OP is excellently written.

~TAF, curious
I can't remember the exact specifics. 4114 is a rewrite of The Quest for Valhalla, and the Quest is the second thing I ever wrote. That means that the general plot for 4114 was defined long before I knew how to create a plot, or how to develop characters, or how to write a theme. Even the recent development I did didn't develop the plot correctly, so I would have to go back and fix that.

It is notoriously difficult to develop a novel within an existing framework (at least the way I do it). You have to have free reign over everything, otherwise it's like trying to fit a ball in a square hole (or however that saying goes). I had to go back and remove a lot of stuff, changing a lot of key things along the way. The bit of the plot that I kept doesn't really have anything to do with what the story turned into. In it's present form, the story technically works. It's just that it could work a lot better if I simply threw out everything related to the Quest and started over from scratch.

BUT, that's not something I'm going to do. All the parts are there, and the writing actually turned out pretty well. And things always look different before and after the fiction is actually written, so it could work just fine.

Right now I would say there is a fairly good chance that I will finish up 4114. Especially if I don't get a brainwave for any other fan fiction soon.

~TGRF.
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:28 PM

4114 is underway. Again.

I looked back over what I had, and realized that there is actually a lot of room for subplots in it. Because of that, I'm going to go back, rework the structure, characters, and plot, and add in proper subplots this time.

Currently, I still intend to write a final fan fiction after that which will wrap up all of the things I want to try.

Meanwhile, the fan fiction I just finished is in the final stages of editing. Right now I'm trying to work out a few issues before I post it. Shouldn't take too long.

~TGRF.
Old April 24th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay cool. So once again you ask your fellow Heroscapers what they want you to write so you can disregard it all and work on 4114 again.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old April 25th, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Okay cool. So once again you ask your fellow Heroscapers what they want you to write so you can disregard it all and work on 4114 again.

~TAF
The thought had crossed my mind, yes. But at least it's still planned, and not thrown out completely like last time.

The good news is that it shouldn't take too long, given that the hard part of the development is already done.

~TGRF.

UPDATE: Structure in place. Starting on characters...
UPDATE: Defining new structure... section 2.3/4. Still working on characters...
UPDATE: New structure - 2.3/5 complete. 4114 - Developing inner conflict...

Last edited by TGRF; May 5th, 2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:03 PM

Things weren't quite coming together, so now I've reworked the story some more and I feel like I'm now on the right track. Fourth's time the charm.

Developmnet: ~20% complete; structure in place.
UPDATE: 4114 and all writing endeavors, including novels, have come to a temporary halt. I have discovered something which flies in the face of what I thought I knew about a very central part of writing. Work will resume once the structure has been reestablished.

Last edited by TGRF; May 15th, 2017 at 01:33 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction