Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:07 PM

Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby!
Reaper Bones Custom Ideas

Last year's Reaper Bones Kickstarter had a lot of miniatures. Now that the kids and I have started painting them, we're trying to come up with ideas for appropriate Heroscape customs. For example, we just painted and based this guy:

We went with a Granite Guardian-inspired color scheme, thinking he might make a good Unique Hero to go with them.

Initial ideas for a GG Hero: (feedback welcome!)
Spoiler Alert!

Using the same base figure, we also created an Obsidian Champion:

Initial ideas for the Obsidian Champion: (feedback welcome!)
Spoiler Alert!

Here's a candidate for "Greater Fire Elemental" or something similar:

And one of my favorites so far is this Colossal Skeleton:

The boys painted some Golem-like figures as well, though I'm sure there are other potential uses:

If anyone has suggestions for potential cards, powers, stats, etc., we'd love to hear them!

In addition, if you've made your own customs with these or other Reaper Bones figures, please post and/or link them here. Thank you!

More to come...

- Grison

* Available: Confrontation & other minis for C3V units (various Varks, Cultists, Gnids, etc.) *
My Sale/Trade List
The Orphanage - HS Figure Exchange
(My available/wanted orphans)

Last edited by Grison; September 23rd, 2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added new figures
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:32 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Reaper Bones Custom Ideas

Love the paint jobs! Makes me want to pick up that large granite guardian. I have 2 of the larger fire elementals, and yours looks identical to what I did to mine.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM

Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qt.bangerang View Post
Love the paint jobs! Makes me want to pick up that large granite guardian. I have 2 of the larger fire elementals, and yours looks identical to what I did to mine.
That's because I was inspired by your blog photos.

Also, with regard to the big rock creature, I'm thinking about doing another one in a "Greater Earth Elemental" paint scheme, or perhaps an "Obsidian Lord" version.

* Available: Confrontation & other minis for C3V units (various Varks, Cultists, Gnids, etc.) *
My Sale/Trade List
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:45 AM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Fantastic paint jobs!!! I love the Granite Guardian hero!

I could see that GG Hero having a "range enhancement" like Deathwalker 9000 gives to Utgar Soulborgs that are adjacent.

You could have the Granite Unit Hero give the squaddies +2 range if they are adjacent, so they'd have a Range 3 or Range 5 if they had Height advantage.

It would be cool if he (it) had a Special Attack since the Granites don't have one.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Those look great, Grison. I need to post some pictures of my 6 year-old's "Rainbow" Reaper dragon she painted this weekend. Needless to say, it is of slightly lesser quality than these.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qt.bangerang View Post
That's because I was inspired by your blog photos.

Also, with regard to the big rock creature, I'm thinking about doing another one in a "Greater Earth Elemental" paint scheme, or perhaps an "Obsidian Lord" version.
I'm glad someone found it useful! And I love the idea for an Obsidian version.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Fantastic paint jobs!!! I love the Granite Guardian hero!

I could see that GG Hero having a "range enhancement" like Deathwalker 9000 gives to Utgar Soulborgs that are adjacent.

You could have the Granite Unit Hero give the squaddies +2 range if they are adjacent, so they'd have a Range 3 or Range 5 if they had Height advantage.

It would be cool if he (it) had a Special Attack since the Granites don't have one.
Thank you for the ideas and kind comments.

With regard to GG Hero powers, I agree that a special attack would be nice. Perhaps it could have some sort of earth slam or other attack that affects more than one opponent (e.g., like Jotun):
Crushing Blow Special Attack
Range 1. Attack 4.
Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by the Crushing Blow Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. GG Hero cannot be affected by his own Crushing Blow Special Attack.
Those big arms also look like they could potentially grab and/or throw someone. Hmm...
Grip of Granite
After moving and before attacking, GG Hero may choose one adjacent small, medium or large opponent’s figure to Grip. GG Hero can only Grip one figure at a time. A figure affected by Grip may not move, and cannot be moved by any special power on an Army Card or Glyph.
As for enhancing the range on the GGs, I'm having a tough time envisioning what the "explanation" for that would be, as the GG's are basically picking up rocks and hurling them, right? I agree it would be nice to create a synergy with them, though.

My $0.02,
- Grison

PS - I added some work-in-progress GG Hero stats to the first post.

My Sale/Trade List

Last edited by Grison; September 3rd, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

These guys look fantastic! Nice work.

The Granite Gargantua is pretty neat. I'd probably drop the Grip power, as it's wordy and doesn't really accomplish much. He should probably duplicate 1 or both of the height advantage powers of the GG to keep the faction theme going.

I'm not sure synergy with the GG is really necessary, but I'd spring for something creative like:

Hurl
When a small or medium Elementar you control ends a movement adjacent to the Granite Gargantua, you may immediately place that Elementar within 3 clear sight spaces of the Granite Gargantua. Roll the 20 sided die for each figure adjacent to the hurled Elementar. If you roll 17 or higher, the chosen figure receives 1 wound.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Hurl
When a small or medium Elementar you control ends a movement adjacent to the Granite Gargantua, you may immediately place that Elementar within 3 clear sight spaces of the Granite Gargantua. Roll the 20 sided die for each figure adjacent to the hurled Elementar. If you roll 17 or higher, the chosen figure receives 1 wound.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:54 PM

Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby!

Hi !

Sir Dendrick, I really love that power... Throwing Elementar all over the field yessss ! However, it's gonna be hard to place the Granite Gargantua well enough to use Hurl without some kind of bonding. How about...

Rock Climbing
After taking a turn with the Granite Gargantua or any Elementar Guards you control, you may move the Granite Gargantua up to 2 spaces. This space may be up to 4 levels higher.

Why two spaces ? He has a double base, so one space would be kind of stupid, because he wouldn't be able to climb ! With this ability, he can follow the Guardians and be ready to throw them at any moment.

Oh and for the Special attack, if you want one, I'd suggest making a rock throw special attack, so it fits with the other Guardians. Maybe a double attack ? Something like...

Stone Throw Special Attack
Range 4, Attack 4
The Granite Gargantua may only use Stone Throw Special Attack against figures he has height advantage on. After Attacking with Stone Throw Special Attack, the Granite Gargantua may attack an additional time with Stone Throw Special Attack.

This is just a suggestion though. Your paint job is so cool seriously... I could think of something for the Fire Elemental and the other figures if you want.

Last edited by Simval; September 3rd, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simval View Post
...This is just a suggestion though. Your paint job is so cool seriously... I could think of something for the Fire Elemental and the other figures if you want.
Great suggestions all around; keep them coming! I'm definitely interested in ideas for the other figures as well.

With regard to the paint job on the Granite Gargantua, I appreciate all of the compliments -- but I'm feeling a bit guilty because it was so easy. The great detailing of the figure itself did most of the work. Aside from the crystals and eyes, the main body is just:
  1. Stone grey throughout
  2. Black wash
  3. Dry brush with light grey (and a bit more stone grey)
As a newbie painter myself, I strongly encourage anyone who's never tried painting their own figures to give it a shot. Especially for figures like this, it's much easier to get great results than you probably expect. You can do it!

My Sale/Trade List
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:21 PM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

Another potential synergy could be to sacrifice a Granite Guardian to prevent a wound, or to heal. Thematically it would be taking a granite guardian and using the rocks to add back to his own bulk

The Flame Elemental could be an Uncommon Hero, with the ability to sacrifice itself to 'flare out' and have a chance to deal some form of damage to all units adjacent or within 2 spaces. Either as an attack or a D20 roll; adds a risk vs reward decision.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards