Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
The thing that came up among two people in the group via the Facebook page for the group is that one guy asked if anyone had played 7 Wonders and if it was worth getting for the group since it can sustain a lot of players, it wasn't a long game and could be used as a filler either before or after a 2+ hour game (we meet from 6-10pm).
That is a perfect description of where this game shines so I can't imagine that you will be disapointed. Also it has nothing in common with Bohnanza at all. This is a simultanious card drafting game which is a really neet mechanic that keeps everyone very actively in the game at all times while Bohnanza is a hand management/trading game which is much slower/longer and usually doesn't work that well with 6-7 people in my opinion although I love it at 4-5.
Have fun!

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I've really enjoyed 7 Wonders in a variety of settings and with different numbers of players.

Personally, I think the key is to understand that it is purposefully not a "big" game. It is designed to play in under an hour or so, but to keep you moving along pretty well in that time. It has a fast pace, but you'll frequently end feeling like "Wow, I wish there was one more Age--or just one more card each. I want to keep building!"

(Note the first game--at least for us--took much more than an hour, but after that, we've found it plays in about an hour--sometimes 40 minutes or so.)

Anyhow, we really enjoy it, but it isn't going to scratch your itch for a big, involved, complex game. It has plenty of depth, imo, for something that plays as fast as it does.

At least for me, it often leaves me wanting to try it one more time and I frequently find that we play two games of it almost as often as one. I'd rank it extremely highly as a game, as long as everyone goes into it expecting a solid, fun card game and not an elaborate "big" game experience. All fwiw, and no more.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played Rolling through the Ages (or as how I inevitably say it - rolling through the hills - for some unknown reason). It was a lot of fun. Nice and simple, but a ton of choices. My first game I got pestilenced like 5 times and it took me out of the game very early (the other people got protection early on). I knew I couldn't win and ended it quickly in order to get another one in.

In my second game I rolled pestilence twice in a row and got tons of resources and bought a development on every turn. I ended the game in round 5 and crushed everyone. I had like 28 points and the next person had like 9. It was a nice second game.

Really fun game though. It looks scary when you first play but you can catch on quickly.

I am also playing lots of Summoner Wars, looking forward to the new stuff coming out soon. I just need to buy more Yu-Gi-Oh card sleeves to put my cards in.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Heroica! My son and I are having a lot of fun with LEGO's dungeon exploration lite game. In 20 minutes you can set up a map, pick a character and play through an entire game. It's 90% luck, 10% skill - and we're already exploring optional scoring and combat systems - but personalized reconfiguration is what LEGO has always been all about.

~Aldin, brick by brick

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Heroica is out? Where did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

It's at my local Target (as well as 1-2 of the expansions). I haven't picked it up, but I saw it when I was there for light bulbs and what not (ah, the joy of buying light bulbs and what not ...).
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

So it might be on the west coast in a few weeks then.

Quote:
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Adrian Monk

It was there a week or so ago, fwiw.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Target here as well. Got it on Saturday.

~Aldin, buying at the bullseye

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM

Not at Target here yet.... but it really does take a while for the west coast to catch up to the east.

Quote:
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
The thing that came up among two people in the group via the Facebook page for the group is that one guy asked if anyone had played 7 Wonders and if it was worth getting for the group since it can sustain a lot of players, it wasn't a long game and could be used as a filler either before or after a 2+ hour game (we meet from 6-10pm).
That is a perfect description of where this game shines so I can't imagine that you will be disapointed. Also it has nothing in common with Bohnanza at all. This is a simultanious card drafting game which is a really neet mechanic that keeps everyone very actively in the game at all times while Bohnanza is a hand management/trading game which is much slower/longer and usually doesn't work that well with 6-7 people in my opinion although I love it at 4-5.
Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
I've really enjoyed 7 Wonders in a variety of settings and with different numbers of players.

Personally, I think the key is to understand that it is purposefully not a "big" game. It is designed to play in under an hour or so, but to keep you moving along pretty well in that time. It has a fast pace, but you'll frequently end feeling like "Wow, I wish there was one more Age--or just one more card each. I want to keep building!"

(Note the first game--at least for us--took much more than an hour, but after that, we've found it plays in about an hour--sometimes 40 minutes or so.)

Anyhow, we really enjoy it, but it isn't going to scratch your itch for a big, involved, complex game. It has plenty of depth, imo, for something that plays as fast as it does.

At least for me, it often leaves me wanting to try it one more time and I frequently find that we play two games of it almost as often as one. I'd rank it extremely highly as a game, as long as everyone goes into it expecting a solid, fun card game and not an elaborate "big" game experience. All fwiw, and no more.
Thanks fellas, that does sound like it would work great for our group

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:45 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
A few more games of MTG: Commander last night. I'm fairly convinced its just strictly better than the normal game. It plays much stronger to the game's legacy of a billion cards and the game gets time to develop in a way that board position and the criminally neglected, big, fun spells hit the table with some regularity. We had a game last night come down to the wire, with a ton of back and forth before I managed to sneak out the win. That really just doesn't happen with the normal 60 card decks.
That's Elder Dragon Legend Highlander right? (I wish Wizards would stop renaming all the damned formats.) That's a really good format, and frankly it's one of the only reasons why I haven't liquidated my magic collection yet (that, and planechase. Now all I need to do is get some EDLH Planechase games in . . .).

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games