Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: What Kind of 'Scaper are you?
Terrain Enthusiast 99 22.86%
Newbie 68 15.70%
OCD completist 73 16.86%
Competitive/Skirmisher 120 27.71%
'X' Fan 26 6.00%
Other (please specify) 47 10.85%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
What Kind of 'scaper are you?

I think a lot of the disagreement about master sets, terrain expansions, and unit selection come from different philosophies. Although we all love Heroscape, we love it for different reasons. Maybe after hearing what all the different types of people feel about various ideas for expanding HS, it would help to know how many of the different kinds of people there are.

Terrain Enthusiast- This player likes to build really big maps. Pile on the hexes!

Newbie- This player just got started. She wants to be able to find what she wants, and for the game to be playable right out of the box. Attracted to 'cool' figures and terrain.

OCD completist- This guy doesn't care. He'll buy four of everything.

Competitive/small game player- This type of player will buy enough terrain to make room to play a 500 point game, but eagerly awaits new figure expansions.

X Fan- This player really likes one specific general, race, whatever. Maybe it's elves. Maybe it's Samurai. Maybe it's This player will race to get this one type of figure, but might be turned off by the kind that he doesn't llike.

I think it's safe to say that there are a fair bit more Newbies in the general public than we see on this site.

Edit (3/25): I was looking back through a thread I made a long time ago asking about why people had so many Master Sets, and I realized that spider_poison is probably to blame for this line of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way back in August, spider_poison
There are lots of different types of Heroscape players. Here are a few:

1. Unit players-These people google at the stats of the new units and their possibility in a winning tournament army. Terrain sets are cool, but only to build the 1 MS maps+Terrain set maps. The extra units (Dumutef, Spiders, Dzu-Teh) are cool, but not that big of a draw.

2. Collectors/Art People- These people like the game of Heroscape, but the potential of more terrain means greater possibility when building that one awesome map. Extra MS figs also allows these people to do lots of repaints if they so desire.

3. The Fanatics- These people have adopted the Pokemon phrase where you gotta collect 'em all. No matter what Heroscape product is released, these people have a set number of unique packs and common packs that they need. If they see a sale at their local store, they'll pick up the Heroscape item simply because it's on sale even if they already have 5 sets. Hasbro especially loves these people .

Me? I'm probably about 80% the first type and 20% the second type. I'm pretty crappy when it comes to being artistic, but I do enjoy doing repaints of figures every once in a while. They may not look nearly as good as DMG or Cupid's Art repaints, but I have fun giving my extra figures a little more personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
I'm a terrain enthusiast/somewhat-OCD completist/competitive gamer.

I love the terrain and I love to build big maps, but that's not my only focus.

I'm a completist, but I don't buy 4 of everything - just 1 of uniques and 3 of commons.

And I'm a competitive gamer, but I like lots of terrain, too.

So... I can't check just one box.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Terrain enthusiast.

I kind of fit a little into each of the categories though.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
I'm a samurai/Einar guy. Though I can't find many Einar sets at this time, so I make do with other generals...

I play usually 800-1200 point games, so I'm not a competitive player. I'm more of a casual player, actually.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

djsmith has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod
I'm a terrain enthusiast/somewhat-OCD completist/competitive gamer.

I love the terrain and I love to build big maps, but that's not my only focus.

I'm a completist, but I don't buy 4 of everything - just 1 of uniques and 3 of commons.

And I'm a competitive gamer, but I like lots of terrain, too.

So... I can't check just one box.
What he said..
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I guess just check the box that you feel applies to you most.

Or just hit Other because you can't decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM

whipmaster is surprisingly tart
i get everything scape realated but mostlly samurai and einar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
YOU don't seem very good.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
HS first grabbed my attention due to the terrain, so that's how I voted. But I also have to have everything (except the exclusives) and I am partial to some of the units, if there is a blister of Romans on the shelf at the store I'll buy them regardless of how many I already have.

I can just picture a monster map with a couple hundred of them on the board...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Dryden has disabled reputation
I fit every category, but I am primarily an OCD completist. I'm dutifully buying expansions as they're released (as I've done with Magic cards and D&D books off-and-on for the past 25 years or so), and the present release schedule has fit my budget.

I own one of everything, including the promos. I have purchased between two to four of everything common except for Wave 7 (limited by availability). I even purchased the Marvel set, despite the fact I think it's grossly inferior to Clix on a pretty WorldWorks fold-up paper model landscape.

I will not be an OCD completist any longer if the rate of new product releases exceeds a reasonable budget. And that disconnect will ultimately lead to me not buying any new product once I feel I can't keep up, and that lack of new product will cause the game to become stale, and I'll move on to something else.

WotC has lost A LOT of my business with their handling of previous games. I do not play D&D anymore, nor do I really desire to play Magic, though I do buy boosters for booster draft games as a tradeoff to keep my circle of gaming friends.

I'm just really burned out on those games, and the primary reason is because they wound up being overproduced. I still like Magic, but it's too much. D&D books? I could still read a Forgotten Realms guide as a bedside book even if I weren't playing the game, but heck, when 3e/3.5 really ballooned about 5 years ago it seemed like there were 3 or 4 official books being released EVERY WEEK. $150-$200 per week to keep up with WotC canon? That's when I got out.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
A bit of everything, but enough of an OCD completist that I feel OK checking that one.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
I'm a customizer. But I don't see that listed. I guess I'm a "Terrain Enthusiast" since that seems like the closest.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Other (please specify)

Started as a customs enthusiast. Pumped out a ton of stuff that really wasn't very good.
Now I'm a map enthusiast, which is more essential than custom designing will ever be for my HS gaming needs.

So consider me a passionate, completist, map maker who realizes how lucky he is to even have found the game and have a regular gaming, social outlet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion