Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: C3V Public Playtesting Tips & Tricks

I like the double glyph idea, it makes the game less one-sided because you know one team won't get a better glyph. I'll have to try doubles on my next map. Wannok does seem like fun and not too overpowered, but definitely worth getting. That seems to be the one to try next.

Right now I'm playing on Turret Rocks, which has the fixed glyph of Astrid. I definitely like the fixed glyph so I know the map is perfectly balanced, but doubling glyphs should be good too. Thanks Caps and Viegon for the help.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

When you guys playtests do you require that it be a BoV map? Or can it be just any map built for Tourney play? Would like to know for HoSS.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
When you guys playtests do you require that it be a BoV map? Or can it be just any map built for Tourney play? Would like to know for HoSS.
My feeling on this is that BoV is preferred because they ask for the map that you played on and a BoV map is the easiest map for them to picture/understand. However, if I play on a map we just throw together, I will take a picture and send it in with the report on the figure. That's just my opinion though and I am just a play tester.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
Quote:
My feeling on this is that BoV is preferred because they ask for the map that you played on and a BoV map is the easiest map for them to picture/understand. However, if I play on a map we just throw together, I will take a picture and send it in with the report on the figure. That's just my opinion though and I am just a play tester.
Tiranx got it about right. We don't have any map requirements, but BoV maps are the easiest, as we know exactly what you're talking about and that the map is balanced. If not BoV, providing a link or a picture is helpful, but again not required.

Really, you can play on any map you want, we just encourage people to use BoV and the like.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
Quote:
As long as it's a decently tourney-worthy map, it should be fine. There are plenty of maps out there that aren't in the BoV but are almost or just as good as maps that are in the BoV.

For example, I've sometimes used various Typhon2222 maps for playtesting...

Edit: Ninja'd...

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

Yeah, it's perfectly fine to use non-BoV maps made my respectable community map makers, I've done plenty of playtesting on Dignan maps.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Oh, wow, I thought it was a requirement to use BoV maps. I'll have to try a Dignan or Typhon map next time.
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
Another consideration is the C3V’s goal: while we do generally design units that play well in a tournament style of play, we spend a lot of time to make sure we aren’t making any undercosted or overpowered units. So any time you’re playing a game against a unit like the 4th Mass or Q9, keep in mind that we are intending for the design to lose against units like that, and if it doesn’t there’s something wrong. Good competitive armies to use in playtesting would be ones that fall in the B-/B/B+ range, or sometimes even A- or C+.

Jexik's Cookie Cutter Army Discussion
is a great tool that I used to use if your not sure what to play against, tier 2 and 3 armies all make for good match ups, although it's not up to date with all the D&D armies and some existing armies probably need to be moved into different tiers it's still a great resource.
1) With all the new D&D and C3V, it would probably be good for someone to put together a list of armies for the different Tiers. (I don't have any tournament experience or I would do it.) A list like Jexik's list with the new armies would be great.

In fact, it would be good to have a list of suggested playtest armies, under different categories: Good versus melee, good versus range, good versus squads, etc... Obviously they can't cover all possibilities, but having suggestions would really help.

2) Viegon said that an unit should lose versus armies such as 4th Mass and Q9.

I have a question:
Would a unit be considered broken if an army built around it can beat the 4th Mass fairly consistently but loses to Q9 builds and many of the Tier 2 armies (or even Tier 3) on a consistent basis?

Or would it's weaknesses make up for its strength against the 4th and similar builds?
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I have a question:
Would a unit be considered broken if an army built around it can beat the 4th Mass fairly consistently but loses to Q9 builds and many of the Tier 2 armies (or even Tier 3) on a consistent basis?

Or would it's weaknesses make up for its strength against the 4th and similar builds?
I personally would say that an army that is "broken" because of power (not broken because of some corner case or something) would be one that beats the Tier 1 armies and the majority of the Tier 2 armies most of the time. You can't generalize too much just based on 4th or Q9, because a unit might have a particular strength against one or both of them.

Really, it depends a whole lot on the unit.

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:18 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Now I'm wondering... Viegon, roughly how many games does a unit go through, all told, before it moves through the process? I know there is some variance, so what are the low and high numbers?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:29 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
1) With all the new D&D and C3V, it would probably be good for someone to put together a list of armies for the different Tiers. (I don't have any tournament experience or I would do it.) A list like Jexik's list with the new armies would be great.
I agree. I know I'm not even close to as qualified as Jexik, but if I have the time, I'll try to throw something together that would be geared towards c3v playtesters, that included C3V and D&D.

Quote:
In fact, it would be good to have a list of suggested playtest armies, under different categories: Good versus melee, good versus range, good versus squads, etc... Obviously they can't cover all possibilities, but having suggestions would really help.
At first glance this seemed to me like a good idea, but after more thought, I fear it would lead to a collective lack of variety in opposition armies.

Quote:
2) Viegon said that an unit should lose versus armies such as 4th Mass and Q9.

I have a question:

I would say that figure isn't broken. In my experience playtesting, I've beaten some very good armies that would be considered tier one, or on the strong side of tier 2. If a figure has the tools not only to beat a single tier one army, but I variety of elite armies, then I would start contemplating if the figure was broken.
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:41 AM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
If you browse through the tournament reports in the Battle Reports thread or the reports from the Online Heroscape League in the Events thread, you can find lots of good and varied army examples to draw from at different point levels.

Quote:
I would say that figure isn't broken. In my experience playtesting, I've beaten some very good armies that would be considered tier one, or on the strong side of tier 2. If a figure has the tools not only to beat a single tier one army, but I variety of elite armies, then I would start contemplating if the figure was broken.
One of the things I've found with the C3V designs is the focus on new and varied strategies. Some can substantially change the play of the groups they bond with, others require substantially new strategies to oppose. That's where the fun is!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs