Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm a little late on this on .... I was in another thread that talked about MOPs ... so I had to do a search to see what a MOP was .

Great concept - I haven't read everything but I really like this.

I was envolved in a modular model RR club and we all had moduals that were 2' x 4' ( I built two ). We had a standard two track mainline and plug connectors as well as the legs and other items. Amazingly we would all meet at a Mall or Fairground building and put it all together (30 - 40 mods ) and it would work

Your HS MOPs is a great idea - I think I will build a few and maybe look at a MOP tourney were everyone brings a MOP or two. This is great!

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I love the maps!

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman
I was envolved in a modular model RR club and we all had moduals that were 2' x 4' ( I built two ). We had a standard two track mainline and plug connectors as well as the legs and other items. Amazingly we would all meet at a Mall or Fairground building and put it all together (30 - 40 mods ) and it would work
If you've read the article about MOPs in the Codex #5, then you would know it's Modular Model Railroaders (and HSHQ member "anon") that made MOPs possible. So thanks Codeman!
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM

odbo255 has disabled reputation
Re: MOPS subcategory in Downloads?

This is a wicked old necro, but the thread really doesn't deserve to disappear forever in ignominy.

I'm very late to this party, being new to scape. But MOPs are the way to go in my opinion. I'm using them to great effect.

I'm looking for a consolidated source of MOPs and haven't found one so far. Gary's website is a wonderful resource for a bunch of MOPs that he has authored, where can I find something similar, but for MOPs regardless of author?

It was suggested earlier in the thread that a new category be added to the downloads section. I'd really like to see that occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses800 View Post
How about a MOPS subcategory in the Downloads section?
Hopefully, new life can be brought into this thread, it's a great idea, one that could use additional (current) discussion.

Items for trade
Heroscape lives on: 3FG C3G C3V CHCG24 CMSP NM24 SoV
Tournament Maps: BoV WoV
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Modular Maps: MOPs

odbo255, you have my attention.

Please tell us how you have been using them.
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
So far nothing innovative, just taking the ideas I've seen here and there.

I have several pre-assembled on mop trays: 5120 5109 5108 5101 5102 5136 5119 (I haven't yet, but plan on assembling 5138 5139. I will also put together a MtCB MOP)

I can pick up the trays and take them over to somebody's home. I put them in the trunk of my car and when I arrive I just have to fix a couple of hexes. No biggie.

We usually play 1 mop per player. The mops and positioning (and orientation) are chosen by die roll. Starting hexes are added by straddling a 24-hex piece on the corner of the MOP. The starting zones are positioned with radial symmetry.

I've combined the use of the MOPs with quick pre-fab armies (also determined by die roll).

After each match, the mops and armies car be re-randomized or left as is based upon player consensus.

Using this approach, a six player game takes less than 10 minutes to setup. Games usually last 45-90 minutes. In a 3-4 hour game session we can often get in as many as 4 games.

Items for trade
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbo255 View Post
Quote:
So far nothing innovative, just taking the ideas I've seen here and there.

I have several pre-assembled on mop trays: 5120 5109 5108 5101 5102 5136 5119 (I haven't yet, but plan on assembling 5138 5139. I will also put together a MtCB MOP)

I can pick up the trays and take them over to somebody's home. I put them in the trunk of my car and when I arrive I just have to fix a couple of hexes. No biggie.

We usually play 1 mop per player. The mops and positioning (and orientation) are chosen by die roll. Starting hexes are added by straddling a 24-hex piece on the corner of the MOP. The starting zones are positioned with radial symmetry.

I've combined the use of the MOPs with quick pre-fab armies (also determined by die roll).

After each match, the mops and armies car be re-randomized or left as is based upon player consensus.

Using this approach, a six player game takes less than 10 minutes to setup. Games usually last 45-90 minutes. In a 3-4 hour game session we can often get in as many as 4 games.
Sounds very interesting. The text highlighted in red is most interesting to me.

At first I was trying to figure out a fair method/procedure for determining start zones within arranged MOPs near the edges, but that got complicated. Lately I've been thinking about just using my endless supply of tiles from the small-expansions (prior to Defenders of Kinsland) to attach start zones after the MOPs have been arranged.

If the resulting map from the arranged MOPs is not symmetrical, no doubt it will annoy some players (which is true even if not using MOPs) because one start zone might be closer to higher ground than another start zone. Glyphs and Drafting can be used to try to balance out terrain advantages. Drafting can be a burden since most players would rather not bring most of their (or entire) collection with them.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 24th, 2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I was experimenting with MOPs a while ago. I have quite a few made up on my computer, I just haven't posted them yet because I don't feel I have enough saved up to make a good collection in my map thread quite yet.

However, seeing as you brought up the issue of start zones, I figure I'll share this:

Because it is so hard to use those 24-hex pieces in MOPs and everybody has spare 1 and 2 hexes from expansions, this design works really well. Just slap a couple of these on the corners and you are good to go.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I haven't yet, but plan on assembling 5138 5139. I will also put together a MtCB MOP
OK, I put together the BftU MOPS tonight.

I also went ahead and designed a MtCB MOP (my first map, yay!).

I even became a site supporter so I could use the downloads section.

Cross-posted from the map thread I just put up: MOP001

The number of pre-assembled MOPS is now at 10.

I think this is a good number and allows me to have all terrain types on one or more MOPS. I don't plan on having more pre-assembled (storage becomes an issue ).

Items for trade

Last edited by odbo255; June 13th, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: removed graphic
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Spin Master

Quote:
I also went ahead and designed a MtCB MOP (my first map, yay!).

I even became a site supporter so I could use the downloads section.

Cross-posted from the map thread I just put up.

MOP001

The number of pre-assembled MOPS is now at 10.

I think this is a good number and allows me to have all terrain types on one or more MOPS. I don't plan on having more pre-assembled (storage becomes an issue ).
Congrats on becoming a site supporter!

Nice Marvel MOP. I have yet to use that terrain in a modular map, but this inspires me to try yours out and make some of my own. I'm hoping to play a few games with my son tonight or tomorrow. And I plan to experiment with add-on start zones using small-expansion terrain.
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Nice Marvel MOP. I have yet to use that terrain in a modular map, but this inspires me to try yours out and make some of my own. I'm hoping to play a few games with my son tonight or tomorrow. And I plan to experiment with add-on start zones using small-expansion terrain.
Thanks, that means a lot coming from you!

The marvel warehouse upper 2 hexes have always annoyed me, they are normally only accessible to flyers/leapers. Flyers already have tactical advantage over non-flyers, adding a height point that only they can access only makes things worse. I added some adjacent concrete pilings allowing non-flyers to walk up to the top.

Quote:
Starting hexes are added by straddling a 24-hex piece on the corner of the MOP. The starting zones are positioned with radial symmetry.
Here is a graphic showing the way we use starting zones:

Items for trade
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM

I updated MOP001 to give improved access to the top of the warehouse.

Items for trade

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios