Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 23rd, 2018, 06:13 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

I want to refrain from using ruins. Ruins can be a great tool for breaking line of sight, and that can be useful for map balance, but it's also the most common LOS blocker in heroscape, and I think it looks really bland as a result. I like the aesthetics of the map without ruins, so if I can help it, I want to try and get the map as balanced as I can without implementing ruins.

I have rearranged the hexes so that there are less single hex perches, and repositioned the glyphs a bit for balance. Admittedly I haven't changed much, because I'm not sure what to change. I'm open to suggestions, but keep in mind that I want to see if I can make this map without the ruins.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 06:55 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

This is unrelated to your maps, so I'm a bit sorry, but how do you get your VS images to come out like that? Even the tiles themselves look different to me.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:42 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I dig the heck out of Ruined City. Great pathing and use of LoS blockers -- the map has a zoned feel to it that a lot of really great competitive maps have, and I love it. I really can't think of much to suggest just by looking at it, the only thing being to mayyybe see if you can't throw a single hex on top of the three hexers in the middle, just to create a little height diversity, but that doesn't even seem necessary. I'd just play it a couple times if possible to see if anything feels weird. Great job, it definitely makes me want to try it out (and pick up a second Marvel set to do so).

Rocky Mounds is an impressive build too. I really like the pathing/flow that you've got going on in both of these maps. However, while I can respect your desire to stay away from using ruins on this map, I feel like they're going to be necessary, or at least the easiest fix. Right now the high ground is creating a steamroller aspect to the map; if you can take the center, you'll bulldoze your way to victory (especially with range since they can shoot both advancing troops and glyphs from there). Of course, some games will have more of a struggle for that to happen, which is good because that means it's partway there, but it does create that win condition/power play that competitive maps try to avoid. Putting the large ruin in the middle, or even dissecting it the small way with the small ruin, will help that immensely.

If you really want to avoid using the ruins, you may be able to do it, but I think you'll have to really work with the trees. If you can rearrange them to block LoS from the main hill to the glyphs, then that's a strong start to weakening that ground. Then, of course, using them to continue to allow cover to advancing troops is vital as well. On such a large map, though, that may be tough, though not impossible. You definitely have a really strong start going for you!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old July 24th, 2018, 06:19 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

After trying a lot of different approaches, I concluded that the map will be better off if I just put a ruin right in the middle.
@Sir Heroscape @BiggaBullfrog @Nomad @Robber What do you think? Better? Worse? Should I switch to a castle set

Rocky Mounds

@superfrog It's combination of filters overlayed on top of each other over the base virtualscape render. I've been doing it for a while. I was wondering when someone would say anything about it. I like how it looks with it a lot better than without.

--------

I have been wanting to rework my original map Ice Rock Dungeon, for a while now. Version 1, was a good first map. Version 1.1 was a good improvement, that still had it's share of issues. Now at version 1.2, I hope to have addressed all of it's issues to a point where it might one day be used at a tournament somewhere.

Ice Rock Dungeon v1.2

Last edited by Leaf_It; July 24th, 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old July 27th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like all three maps - Ruined City, Rocky Mounds (with the ruins), and Ice Dungeon 1.2. I would be willing to set these up and see how they play at some point. Well done, Leaf_It.
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:35 AM

Dungeon Stalagmites

PDF Download

I wanted to make a potentially tournament worthy map using only a single Battle for the Underdark, and nothing else. I don't know if this is tournament worthy, but it's a neat little map that I felt like sharing. I think I did alright for the amount of Terrain available. I wish the BftU set had more of the smaller Dungeon tiles. I hope this name hasn't been used before...

Last edited by Leaf_It; October 19th, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 02:46 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Looks sweet and simple. I also like the use of a minimal amount of sets to make maps. It just seems sensible for new people to the game, tournament organizers, and people that want to quickly put together a map for a quick game without taking forever to build it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I like it Leaf! Nice and simple. I think this could make a really good quick build for playtesters too. I like having maps with quick build when I’m playtesting units. It might be a little too “bare bones” for a tournament, but I still like it. For a tourney it’d probably need just something a little extra like battlements or something, idk. But like I said, I still like it!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 2nd, 2019, 05:50 PM

A Walk in the Grassy Ruins

PDF DOWNLOAD

Same as the previous map. I wanted to make a map using a single set. Haven't played on it much, but it seems mostly balanced.

Last edited by Leaf_It; September 7th, 2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 06:20 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like it man. This single set direction should be pretty cool for those new players or players with only 1 master set.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I also really dig the single set direction. Sets with small terrain requirements really appeal to me and I'm always looking for more to add to my archive.

Overall AWitGP looks pretty solid. I also really like that there are no power glyphs, as I really enjoy maps that are designed to be used without them (not sure why... simplicity?). The couple of things I notice are that going left gives you higher ground faster, and I'll almost always go that way especially if I have range. Going right does lead to higher height, but if I'm getting shot before I can get there it's sad face time (though fortunately the ruins are placed where you can hide behind them and then rush to engage height). I wonder if you could spread out the height going right more so that it takes a little more effort to get a really strong spot. The other thing is just dragon power -- dragons with 6 move can hit the central hill in one move and blast stuff, then fly away to another perch and blast some more. Of course, that's just going to happen on a smaller map like this so as long as there's a way for a player to combat the dragon I think it's fine.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I also really dig the single set direction. Sets with small terrain requirements really appeal to me and I'm always looking for more to add to my archive.

Overall AWitGP looks pretty solid. I also really like that there are no power glyphs, as I really enjoy maps that are designed to be used without them (not sure why... simplicity?). The couple of things I notice are that going left gives you higher ground faster, and I'll almost always go that way especially if I have range. Going right does lead to higher height, but if I'm getting shot before I can get there it's sad face time (though fortunately the ruins are placed where you can hide behind them and then rush to engage height). I wonder if you could spread out the height going right more so that it takes a little more effort to get a really strong spot. The other thing is just dragon power -- dragons with 6 move can hit the central hill in one move and blast stuff, then fly away to another perch and blast some more. Of course, that's just going to happen on a smaller map like this so as long as there's a way for a player to combat the dragon I think it's fine.
Hmm. The start zones are where they are simply because that's where are 24 hex was. I could have the 2 sides more even by just moving them around. The should help make the hills more equally inviting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios