Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Suggestions for the Online Heroscape Organizers

All these suggestions are well and good, same with online in general, but I've been clamoring for a basic rules tournament for a long long time-- you're neglecting a major part of this community. This suggestion is 100 percent serious-- I don't want to come across as acidic in anyway, however.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:02 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

"Basic" as in bring only one army and play it for the whole tournament? or "basic" as in only use Classic figures? or "basic" as in use the basic side? or "basic" as in uggs and pumpkin spice lattes?

(genuinely curious, not trying to poke fun).
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
"Basic" as in bring only one army and play it for the whole tournament? or "basic" as in only use Classic figures? or "basic" as in use the basic side? or "basic" as in uggs and pumpkin spice lattes?

(genuinely curious, not trying to poke fun).
Basic as in only the basic side of the cards (not advanced side).

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:05 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Huh

I have literally never met anyone who played with the basic sides of the cards.

~Dysole, not trying to be insulting with this
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

I agree with you Dysole, it was all a joke, sorry for the confusion. I just meant basic side of the card. Should've done this on April fools my bad everyone.

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

It would be a good joke though... it's sort of an interesting game in a 6-year-old sort of way.
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
It would be a good joke though... it's sort of an interesting game in a 6-year-old sort of way.
We CLOUD require lattes and uggs. I even put in an acidic pun.

Old September 1st, 2015, 12:00 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola on 3/17/15
I would like to see the starting format randomized when doing an alternating format tournament.

To clarify, for example if you are doing alternating Army Draft-PYP (Pick your poison) then randomize which of those you are starting with for round 1 or round 1 of the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
OK, that makes sense. I'm not opposed in principle, however, I have a bias the other way. Not because I necessarily prefer Army Draft to PyP or Heat to Chaos, but because the former formats are (slightly) simpler or more familiar to our players than the latter formats. As such, it allows us to ease into the event a little more easily, particularly for the new players in a given event.
Is this a definitive statement and rule by dok? Or is it a matter of none of the other organizers care and dok has a bias one way so that's the way it will remain?

Just checking as there has been no change to the order in alternating formats, and I feel it's too bad because I typically find the PyP or Chaos of Battle formats more enjoyable. I also think as time goes by the benefit to the new player argument gets less relevant, but today may still be.
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:04 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
My understanding is that the game is called when 3 complete full rounds have gone by with no attacks attempted. Then it goes to partial card scoring.

I think that should be confirmed and officially posted somewhere (unless it already is and I missed it)
That is the unofficial rule, and you're right that we should probably make it official. I'd consider making it something like "at least 3 rounds and at least [one/two] initiative switch[es]". I really want the stalemate rule to be very conservative. The goal is just to make it clear who wins if nobody does anything, as opposed to forcing the action when something would happen anyway, it's just taking a while.
I'd be fine with that. Feel free to propose formal language here.
The current stalemate rules only encompass an initiative switch for 1 person. That accomplishes nothing if that's the person who is ahead and running away. The stalemate rule needs to be modified to ensure the person who is behind on partial card scoring get an initiative switch. That's my opinion and based on the above post, dok's also. But it's not the reality of the rules below.

Current Stalemate Rule:
Spoiler Alert!
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:21 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Yeah, we basically made it the way it is for the sake of being easy to read for someone who doesn't really understand the concept of an initiative switch. As it is, it's only a 1/4 chance that the simplified language would be a problem (only creates an issue if the player who is behind on points either goes win, lose, lose, or win, win, lose).

As is often the case, the wording of this rule betrays the tension between being inclusive (providing a good experience for newer/less tournament-savvy players, keeping mechanics related to online play as simple as is manageable) and providing a fair playing experience (trying to ensure games are decided by the gameplay and not out-and-out gamesmanship or blatantly random stuff).

IMO the current stalemate rule strikes a good balance - the "notification" thing keeps it from being a surprise, and the initiative rule deals with the the switch problem 75% of the time without getting too wordy. But I totally understand the opposite viewpoint here - it's very subjective. As the Heroscape-playing and online-playing population "ages" (people are dropping out of the game, and fewer and fewer new players are joining, both in general and online) it makes sense that we would gradually make our rules cover more cases like this.

Anyway, we'll discuss making it more verbose.

Last edited by dok; February 10th, 2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old June 26th, 2018, 11:51 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

@Kinseth

The Champions of Valhalla thread incorrectly links the wrong season for Season 16 (It takes you to Season 15) I know Dysole won both so maybe that's the confusion
Old April 26th, 2021, 10:08 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Cross-posting this from the OHS 41 thread based on Dysole's (kinda) suggestion.
--------------------------------------------
I had a thought during my game with coachmuskie that I wanted to share here.

OHS doesn't do a ton of bring-1 type formats, but for the ones that we do, has there been any thoughts on implementing a map-striking system? Something like you & your opponent each round can strike 1-2 maps from the possible maps you play on (instead of everyone having the same map for the round).

I know GenCon finals implements something like that, and it would be more feasible online than at a full in-person tournament because of the lack of terrain requirements.

Just a though, since it would reduce some of the matchup variance that can make bring-1 games blowouts more often than in other formats.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events