Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Old January 9th, 2014, 04:02 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Suggestions for the Online Heroscape Organizers

Hi All,

I think the online organizers do a great job and should be commended for the product they put out and the time they put in to keep scape going in this manner.

I started this thread to encourage people to voice any opinions or suggestions they might have to the online heroscape organizers. This thread is not directly meant to suggest interface/software changes as a thread for that already exists and can be found here.

This thread is for format, glyph pool, online rules, maps, trap glyph suggestions and things like that. Hopefully if there is a general public feeling towards something, then the organizers will take that into consideration as new tournaments come out. Some examples might be:

Take 2 is fun, but Take 3 might be even better!
Too much take 2! Variability raises my blood pressure.
Let’s play a B+ format one round.
Every map pool should include at least one map that Foudzing will complain about.
I loathe strategy, please put 3 Massive Curse glyphs in every round.
I would like to see Bracers of teleportation in the treasure glyph pool.
I would like a new trap for the treasure glyphs. Failing that trap should definitely involve Admiral Ackbar.
Please organize a 3 player free for all tournament.
I think the time rules should be less stringent for all non Legendary participants.
Please have more lava maps.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Suggestions for the Online Heroscape Organizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Hi All,

I think the online organizers do a great job and should be commended for the product they put out and the time they put in to keep scape going in this manner.

I started this thread to encourage people to voice any opinions or suggestions they might have to the online heroscape organizers. This thread is not directly meant to suggest interface/software changes as a thread for that already exists and can be found here.

This thread is for format, glyph pool, online rules, maps, trap glyph suggestions and things like that. Hopefully if there is a general public feeling towards something, then the organizers will take that into consideration as new tournaments come out. Some examples might be:

Every map pool should include at least one map that Foudzing will complain about.
I would like a new trap for the treasure glyphs. Failing that trap should definitely involve Admiral Ackbar.
I think the time rules should be less stringent for all non Legendary participants.
I would love this to be the new norm. Wait isn't it already the norm.
As for a suggestion I would definitely like to see happen would be more terrain based map pools, to give situational units more usefulness. Something like all the maps have ice (season four did this and was awesome), lava, dungeon, jungle trees, tons of road for the dumutef.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:46 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Map pools should have more variety. In the season 11 map pool, there are 2 Typhon maps, 2 Dignan maps, and a Gamebear map. Not that they aren't some of the best maps on the site, but I think using some lesser known maps might be good. I like the inclusion of Robber's Platypus.

from somebody who still hasn't played yet but might play later this year.
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Map pools should have more variety. In the season 11 map pool, there are 2 Typhon maps, 2 Dignan maps, and a Gamebear map. Not that they aren't some of the best maps on the site, but I think using some lesser known maps might be good. I like the inclusion of Robber's Platypus.

from somebody who still hasn't played yet but might play later this year.
There are a lot of maps in the OHS: Maps and Figures Folder. But a lot of great maps are not on there, and it takes some work to make them.
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

How about just cover the map in alternating rows of Massive Curse and Revive Glyphs?

Thanks for starting the thread kd. I expect some good stuff will come out of it.
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I agree, although we want to make sure that we don't use any maps that aren't too unbalanced. As a move toward using a bigger variety of maps, we did pick out 4 maps we've never used before (and two more that we haven't used in so long that they didn't have templates) for S11 (although as you say, they are still mostly Typhon, Dignan & BoV maps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
As for a suggestion I would definitely like to see happen would be more terrain based map pools, to give situational units more usefulness. Something like all the maps have ice (season four did this and was awesome), lava, dungeon, jungle trees, tons of road for the dumutef.
I'll say all-lava is definitely on the table.

My responses to the example suggestions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola
Eh, I wouldn't really want to have to make 3 armies for one event.
See Season 11!
That's a good suggestion. We haven't done that since Season 1.
Hear hear!

Oh yeah, well I like the Elixir better!

Hmm... you know, wait a few weeks...
You almost have to be a legendary player to get close to them now...
Hey, S11 has 1/4 lava maps! Don't be greedy!

Old January 9th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One more off the wall suggestion that probably shouldn't be a main event but maybe someone else could do this like the classic league or bi-weekly league.
Something where each round has a 'broken map' something where round one is an extremely melee friendly map (short tons of road), heavy range (few line of sight blockers, bumpy terrain), flyer friendly (tons of hard to traverse terrain), or a lava resistance is key map (almost every space is molten lava or lava field).

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:33 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey, a suggestion thread! Thats a great idea xD

Anyways, before the Mommyboard Corruption Explosadrive I was toying around with ideas for newer formats.

A) Semi-Random Armies: Players would build an army and four TD made "simple" armies would populate the pool of randomly distributed armies for each round. However, if you lost a match, on future matches you could secretly sub that army in before playing your game (there would have been a day set aside for these shenanigins).

B) Using custom pools (As evidenced by Scytale's Multiverse, someone also had this in mind).

C) Core + Draft: players could decide their core army then secretly draft the remaining points of it against their opponents core (done by pm of course).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I really liked Season 7, where there were 4 different events each round, forcing you to build 4 different armies (one for each round). It's something nearly impossible to do in a live tournament, but is very simple online. Something like that again would be fun.
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I like the organizers' map choices personally. Lots of variety. The reason why there are lots of maps by the same people is because those people make really good maps.

There's only one thing I have to say about maps: no more Running Hot. It's an interesting map that certainly changes what figures are good, but with the Bring 2 format being so prevalent online, it tends to unbalance army pairs that are balanced on the rest of the boards in the pool and puts more emphasis on winning the diceoff in that particular round.

Last edited by vegietarian18; January 10th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:31 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

To be honest, I doubt we would have used Running Hot again if it were not for the fact that it was a map that a championship game happened on, and all the EoY maps were maps that we had played championship games on. There was at least one other championship map that we left off, but it's a map that I dislike much more (and is at least as strange metagamewise).

While I agree that Running Hot has some really unusual metagame effects, it's both
  • possible to overcome the bad end, even on that map, and
  • far from the only time a single map creates a slanted MU.

I just realized, after posting that I couldn't see the Hounds losing to a non-soulborg army on that map, that I had beaten hounds with varks on that map just a couple seasons ago. (It's been a tough week, I'm not all here.)

We experienced first-hand another good example, vegie, when we played our game. Although I hadn't done a good job balancing my armies in general this event, we played on the one map where the Sidhe couldn't really use their powers and were basically useless. That turned my weakly-balanced armies into completely unbalanced armies.

At any rate, the Season 12 variant of Bring 2 should make the dice-off even less important than it's been before.
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:07 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Running Hot is awful. Yes, coming from the openly person to lose with Marrden Hounds on that map.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events