Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:31 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Online Player Rankings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Looks awesome! Is there a Trueskill numerical value given by this system? It's always interesting to see in these systems where there are big gaps between the top 5-10 and the rest.
Trueskill gives each player's skill estimate as a mean and a variance. The ratings are a 3-sigma lower bound on a player's skill estimate. Essentially it's the algorithm saying "I'm 99.7% sure that this player is at least this good".

(This is what Xorlof was saying in that paragraph about Trueskill, in a way that was a bit less mathy.)

There is one gap in the rankings, numerically, that currently dwarfs all the others. (And no, it's not between 1 and 2. TSIYW and I are ranked ridiculously close to one another, actually, and have traded the top spot back and forth a few times just in the last month or so.)
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:37 AM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One thing that would be interesting is if we could add every known tournament into this too. It would take a lot of compiling and remembering who played who, but it would be an amazing piece of work.

EDIT: Just looked and I am 2-3 in games I actually played against the top 25.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:36 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Sweetness!

I'm in the top 25. Did not expect that. (It's probably mostly due to beating Kinseth twice ~_^) More incentive to keep trying to win. Whee!

~Dysole, now wanting to try this algorithm out for CoN but knowing that he would probably take one look at it and go "And that is what the who now?"

Last edited by Dysole; July 1st, 2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Yep. Yep that's sort of what's happening. I kind of understand but not quite
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Yeah, I was at #25 but someone took it from me...
It was bob, not Xorlof, who took it from you. Xorlof was merely the beneficiary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinchese View Post
Are the rest of the rankings going to be posted soon, or is it going to be more of a leaderboard type thing?
I doubt we will ever post the full rankings... posting the bottom third would amount to shaming those players (plus a bunch of those are 0-1 or 0-2 or something similarly insignificant). We might expand the published rankings a bit from top 25, and/or post the actual means and variances of each ranked player, at some point.

A personal note: of my 17 losses, 14 of them are to players in the top 25. 9 of them are to players in the top 10. To put that another way, I'm 7-9 against the rest of the top 10, 5-5 against 11-25... and 28-3 against everyone else.
I tallied mine up, vs the rest of the top 10 I am 4-5, vs 11-25 I am 5-8.

26-5 vs those outside of the top 25.

In the "Modern era"(Season 4 and beyond.) I have only lost to 2 players outside of the top 25. Rexmax2 and Hivelord.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.

Last edited by Kinseth; July 1st, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:45 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Rankings Against...

I decided to go check myself and see what my W-L was against the non top 25ers. If we count just the tournaments (and not any other fun little stuffs I participate in). 2-5 against the top 10. 2-3 against the top 25. (My W-L is off because ISB and ISB3 were on the same team against me) 5-0 against everyone else. I feel like I end up playing the top players a lot. ~_^

~Dysole, who if he reads the standing correctly for Season 8 means it will likely be happening again
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

I have the least amount of games played in the top 25. Do I get the quality over quantity award?

I am 3-1 against the top 10.
I am 6-3 against the top 25.

9 of my 11 games have been against the top 25 (2-0 against the others)
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM

C$$ knows what's in an order marker C$$ knows what's in an order marker

Excellent work on implementing these rankings!

If I understand correctly, each person is represented by a 'skill number' and an approximation range, and players are currently ranked by their lower bound.

I'd be curious to see the skill number and approximation ranges then too. Or are they being intentionally withheld?

Cheers,
C$$
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:24 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I have the least amount of games played in the top 25. Do I get the quality over quantity award?

I am 3-1 against the top 10.
I am 6-3 against the top 25.

9 of my 11 games have been against the top 25 (2-0 against the others)
Yes, quality over quantity is exactly what got you there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C$$ View Post
Excellent work on implementing these rankings!

If I understand correctly, each person is represented by a 'skill number' and an approximation range, and players are currently ranked by their lower bound.

I'd be curious to see the skill number and approximation ranges then too. Or are they being intentionally withheld?

Cheers,
C$$
I suspect there's a good chance we'll release the numbers at some point.

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:33 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

"Intentionally withheld" is maybe a little strong. We are trying to keep things simple in terms of what we're releasing, at least initially.

You can pretty much figure out where people's means and variances are, at least relative to those near them in the rankings, just by looking at the rankings. The players with more games tend to have lower variances, although the more consistent your play is, the quicker your variance drops, as well. So, for example, TSIYW has a higher mean to his ranking than I do, but I have a lower variance, which is why I am (slightly) ahead of him.

There are some dynamics in the algorithm that also govern speed of convergence. There's a variable that basically talks about how likely it is that a higher-ranked player defeats a lower-ranked player. The higher that probability is, the faster a player's variance drops (because the algorithm is more confident that each game result reflects playing skill and not just luck or matchup or whatever). We have tuned this variable based on our results so far, but we still have not done a sophisticated optimization of that convergence dynamics. That is in the works.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So only games wins count, but not tournament wins or wins streak if I understand well?

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
So only games wins count, but not tournament wins or wins streak if I understand well?
Yes, streaks and tournament wins do not factor extra into the rankings, as those things don't really have anything to do with skill beyond the individual games.

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Win streaks and tournament wins only count insofar as the wins count, correct. Of course, in the finals of an event you're probably going to be playing a good player, and beating good players is worth more.

It's not an accident that six of our tournament winners are in the top 8, and the other two are in the top 20.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events