Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old February 27th, 2008, 02:13 AM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker
Justice League: New Frontier

Having not read the original series, I found this film to be only slightly confusing, but full of good socio-political commentary. I really liked the adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's art style, and the animation was very nice. I understand a few minor subplots were dropped, which is fine, but I still think the film could have used more time to breathe. Mask of the Phantasm, the first DCU animated movie-length, didn't suffer this problem because the story was built from the ground up. The more recent (Death of) Superman - Doomsday film was never going to cram all the subplots together, so a longer running time wouldn't have helped it. This is the first time I felt like things were rushed in a DCU animated or Bruce Timm project, aside from the cut version of the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, and only then during the bits dealing with Robin's transformation.

While I had the same feeling with the Marvel Iron-Man animated film, others from their line have really benefited from the longer 90 minute runtime. I kinda feel Warner Bros. is doing everyone a tremendous disservice by refusing to spend the money to allow for one minute past 75 of screen time, but they can afford a marketing blitz, deluxe DVD extras and packaging, and an all-star cast- items designed to increase sales. While the ultimate goal of all corporations is profit, not entertaining us, I think WB needs to not hit me over the head with this fact.

In case this isn't clear, I really enjoyed this film. I just think it could have, given the caliber of talent behind it, been even better.
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I can't get past the terrible, terrible animation to actually watch this whole thing. It's so herky-jerky and I feel doesn't caputre the nice style of the comic, which I recently picked up. I know they are trying to make these things on a budget but I think the end result could have been a little nicer and more representative of the comic. Overall I've been greatly dissapointed with all these direct to DVD comic movies. So much wasted potential.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM

oni is surprisingly tart
I liked both the GN and the movie. Some people really didn't like it on IMDb, but I think those people may have missed the point of it. This is an Elsewhere story, set between the Golden Age and Silver Age of comics. I wonder if some of those naysayers know much comic book history.

I also feel the movie was rushed (although I don't recall the dropped sub plots) and that they could have expanded or drawn out some of the more interesting sections. I would have loved to see more of the MM when he's first on Earth and watching TV morphing from character to character.

I can see why a lot of people won't like this movie. They might not like the art style, the story, or understand the back drop. I do like the references to today's political climate and to JFK.

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Being one of the older generation of comic readers here, I can say I enjoyed the heck out of it with its nostalgic feel and a well written "origins" of most of the heroes. And, lastly I liked the fact that about 1/2 way through I was complaining that Aquaman was no where to be seen ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
has been BANNED

Isn't it "Elseworlds" and not "Elsewhere?"
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Yes, yes it is.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Yes, yes it is.
I thought so. Unitl recently I wasn't much of a comic reader, but I did have a few Elseworlds stories from back in the day, like one fun one where Superman's space-pod is found by the Waynes instead of the Kents, and he grows up to be a freaky super-powered Batman. I like those kind of random what-if stories.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media